Pre-Game Talk: Week 6: @Seattle, Anaheim, @Dallas. Things might get ugly.

Biggest problem right now?

• Total voters

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This year we have a slow start to the schedule due to NHL incompetence. Last season we had a slow start to the schedule due to NHL incompetence in addition to the Global Series. The two years before that were pandemic driven anomalies.

I haven't bothered to really look back pre-pandemic, but I sort of recall that we don't often have a game on opening nights. I can't remember any other seasons seeming to take this long to get started though.

I believe the inability to play consistently (or practice consistently from what I hear) is probably what is taking so long for this team to gel. They need minutes on the ice together in game situations.

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing about opening nights. Perhaps there's more, and I don't remember, but it feels like only once, maybe twice in the last 10 years or so we've played on opening night. Not only that but sometimes it's multiple days into the season. It always annoys me.

100% on the practice time. Beyond the new guys geling with the team, practice is crucial for the returnees as well, because Bednar's sytem needs to be drilled and drilled and drilled, so they can just play on auto pilot to an extent, and not overthink things.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The third line playing second line minutes is going to be a baaddd, bad time.

They might still win, but it's going to be a slogfest.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
There was a shift where Bednar sent Nuke out with the 4th line and it was magical.

I would like to see more of that one off kind of experimentation. He wasn't changing lines up really, it was a specific one off and holy crap did Nuke's relentlessness just click with those guys.

I can't even remember which period it was for sure, but I imagine it had to be third. Think I'm going to go rewatch and see if it lives up to my memory.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
There was a shift where Bednar sent Nuke out with the 4th line and it was magical.

I would like to see more of that one off kind of experimentation. He wasn't changing lines up really, it was a specific one off and holy crap did Nuke's relentlessness just click with those guys.

I can't even remember which period it was for sure, but I imagine it had to be third. Think I'm going to go rewatch and see if it lives up to my memory.
You are right. He actually scored his goal on that shift.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I captured this when Avs had more goals than the Ducks had shots lol.
Capture.JPG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad