NCAA GDT: Week 5

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
The loser will probably be out of the CFP. Brian Kelly coaching against his old team. It should be interesting.

If the Bearcats lose they're 100% out, that's for certain.

ND? They're a money maker so all bets are off.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A lot of very good matchups. ESPN is going with Arkansas vs Georgia at noon, that’s how deep it is.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I expect Georgia will win and probably somewhat comfortably, but the Razorbacks have been a pleasant surprise this season. We'll see if they've got what it takes to compete at Sanford Stadium.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
A lot of very good matchups. ESPN is going with Arkansas vs Georgia at noon, that’s how deep it is.

Is it though? ESPN night game is Florida at Kentucky 6pm, then somehow Auburn at LSU 8pm. Arkansas at Georgia is a much bigger game that should get prime time with either of those other two at noon. I think they’re doing this because LSU plays 99% of their home games at night and noon eastern is an 11am game for the tigers which isn't happening. The ABC game is Penn state at Indiana so not something to be afraid to go head to head with.

I think TV contracts play a part. ESPN is owned by ABC yet they have different contracts for games. The SEC is on ESPN but not ABC which seems to not make sense since ABC owns them.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is it though? ESPN night game is Florida at Kentucky 6pm, then somehow Auburn at LSU 8pm. Arkansas at Georgia is a much bigger game that should get prime time with either of those other two at noon. I think they’re doing this because LSU plays 99% of their home games at night and noon eastern is an 11am game for the tigers which isn't happening. The ABC game is Penn state at Indiana so not something to be afraid to go head to head with.

I think TV contracts play a part. ESPN is owned by ABC yet they have different contracts for games. The SEC is on ESPN but not ABC which seems to not make sense since ABC owns them.
They put it at noon because they have a better game than Fox does. They just can’t put it on ABC.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

Arkansas at Georgia is happening at 3:30 because CBS gets first pick of games.

Sorry I mean Ole Miss at Alabama.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Arkansas at Georgia is happening at 3:30 because CBS gets first pick of games.

Sorry I mean Ole Miss at Alabama.

Obviously they're taking Alabama, especially playing a top 15 team, so CBS isn't the issue. The issue is with ESPN who gets to set the lineup. In years past Auburn vs LSU would be a no brainer prime time game but this year that game isn't the best pick available. Not sure if they did it this way to try to squeeze 3 games into the schedule to maximize coverage time or the LSU night factor? Seems like you could've thrown Florida vs Kentucky at noon, decent draw of a game still, Arkansas vs Georgia at 7 and LSU vs Auburn on ESPN2 at 8. Nobody is gonna tune into the Florida game at 6 if Alabama and Ole Miss is close in the 2nd half.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
They put it at noon because they have a better game than Fox does. They just can’t put it on ABC.

Florida vs Kentucky is just as good a game as the Michigan vs Wisconsin one. I would think Florida and Michigan are equal draws TV wise and both top 15 ranked. So is a 1-2 Wisconsin a better draw than 4-0 Kentucky? Clearly Georgia vs Arkansas should kill the Fox game at noon but I don't think the two late games will kill the ABC one. So if you took the draw on the noon game the Georgia game would win the prime time battle which is the more important time slot.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Florida vs Kentucky is just as good a game as the Michigan vs Wisconsin one. I would think Florida and Michigan are equal draws TV wise and both top 15 ranked. So is a 1-2 Wisconsin a better draw than 4-0 Kentucky? Clearly Georgia vs Arkansas should kill the Fox game at noon but I don't think the two late games will kill the ABC one. So if you took the draw on the noon game the Georgia game would win the prime time battle which is the more important time slot.

But Georgia/Arkansas is a better game than Michigan/Wisconsin.

Fox doesn't have rights to the SEC and ABC can't air SEC games. They can air them on ESPN, and have considered them feature games over what's on ABC in the past, but Fox's #1 game each week is at noon, not prime time, and ESPN clearly trying to compete at noon this week knowing they have a better game.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
But Georgia/Arkansas is a better game than Michigan/Wisconsin.

Fox doesn't have rights to the SEC and ABC can't air SEC games. They can air them on ESPN, and have considered them feature games over what's on ABC in the past, but Fox's #1 game each week is at noon, not prime time, and ESPN clearly trying to compete at noon this week knowing they have a better game.

So this is Fox vs ABC/ESPN then? Because putting Georgia up against the Fox game instead of the ABC prime time one allows them each to win a time slot. If you did Georgia late it probably beats ABC and their noon game isn't beating Fox. If ESPN threw Florida out at noon they might beat Fox either. So now Fox doesn't win anything. This is all depending on how people watch. I don't know what viewership is like, are people watching based more on channel, team or conference?

The only reason I ever care that much is because I prefer to have the best games later. The noon slate just gets you warmed up till the CBS game and then that leads into the primtime one. This week it just seems the opposite and prime time won't be as good.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So this is Fox vs ABC/ESPN then? Because putting Georgia up against the Fox game instead of the ABC prime time one allows them each to win a time slot. If you did Georgia late it probably beats ABC and their noon game isn't beating Fox. If ESPN threw Florida out at noon they might beat Fox either. So now Fox doesn't win anything. This is all depending on how people watch. I don't know what viewership is like, are people watching based more on channel, team or conference?

The only reason I ever care that much is because I prefer to have the best games later. The noon slate just gets you warmed up till the CBS game and then that leads into the primtime one. This week it just seems the opposite and prime time won't be as good.
I prefer the best games later too, they could've done whatever they wanted with the games they had (except put an SEC game on ABC). They still have a top 25 matchup going on ESPN2 anyways with Baylor and Oklahoma State, so you don't want all three of those games (the third being the Penn State/Indiana game, which isn't that strong anyways), but they'd also be competing against themselves. Herbstreit and Fowler are calling the noon game though, so that is ostensibly their #1 game. I think there's another rule where the Big Ten can only play home games at night on Saturday if the game is on ABC or their network, but it's possible that's not correct.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

It all comes down to who has the rights to air what, which networks have first crack at selecting games they have the rights to air, and what they believe ratings will be. Also I believe the networks only have a few times per year where they can make short notice decisions on what games to air, otherwise the games have to be chosen more than a week before.

That's what happened here. The marquee SEC game times were selected on September 20th, before Arkansas took aTm to the woodshed. So I can understand why ESPN chose Auburn at LSU for primetime since it's a traditional rivalry and they didn't know Arkansas at Georgia would be a top 10 matchup, to add to that not being a rivalry.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I prefer the best games later too, they could've done whatever they wanted with the games they had (except put an SEC game on ABC). They still have a top 25 matchup going on ESPN2 anyways with Baylor and Oklahoma State, so you don't want all three of those games (the third being the Penn State/Indiana game, which isn't that strong anyways), but they'd also be competing against themselves. Herbstreit and Fowler are calling the noon game though, so that is ostensibly their #1 game. I think there's another rule where the Big Ten can only play home games at night on Saturday if the game is on ABC or their network, but it's possible that's not correct.

There has to be some weird contract stipulations because some of these choices don't make sense. Is ABC obligated to take a Big 10 game at night? Penn State is #4 so they have a case to be on prime time. But then I look at the noon game of Texas vs TCU and not Oklahoma State vs Baylor? That games on ESPN2 which should be where two unranked teams play. ESPN with the 2nd tier SEC rights usually takes the next best game after CBS and has that as its prime time game. I can't remember the last time they played their best game at noon? I mean they still have Floride, Auburn and LSU to fall back on in the night slots but it's just weird seeing them go big early. Fox playing it's big game early too recently is a different, so maybe it's just a shift in format?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
There has to be some weird contract stipulations because some of these choices don't make sense. Is ABC obligated to take a Big 10 game at night? Penn State is #4 so they have a case to be on prime time. But then I look at the noon game of Texas vs TCU and not Oklahoma State vs Baylor? That games on ESPN2 which should be where two unranked teams play. ESPN with the 2nd tier SEC rights usually takes the next best game after CBS and has that as its prime time game. I can't remember the last time they played their best game at noon? I mean they still have Floride, Auburn and LSU to fall back on in the night slots but it's just weird seeing them go big early. Fox playing it's big game early too recently is a different, so maybe it's just a shift in format?
I don't know the exact contract stipulations, you can google them. But the vast majority of game selections (at least in the SEC) are made on Monday almost two weeks before the actual game. Just google "x vs y gametime announced" and you will see this. Only a few times per year can networks delay their decision to less than a week before.

Game times are announced 12 days prior to kickoff. 2 times per year per school, the networks may exercise a 6 day option, where they may wait until 6 days before kickoff before announcing the time and channel of the game.
CBS gets first pick every week for their 3:30/2:30c time slot. No other network may broadcast a game where an SEC team is the home team during this time slot.
CBS gets 2 doubleheaders per year. One at 3:30/8:00pm (2:30/7:00pm central) and one at Noon/3:30. No network may broadcast a game where an SEC team is the home team while CBS uses it's 8pm game. However, the Noon time slot is not exclusive to CBS during that doubleheader.
ESPN gets to pick the next 2 games. They may choose to start these games either before 1:30/12:30c or after 7/6c as to not conflict with the CBS broadcast.
SEC Network gets next pick for their for their 12/11c game.
ESPNU gets to pick the next game. They may choose to start the games either before 1:30/12:30c or after 7/6c as to not conflict with the CBS broadcast.
Regional networks get the remaining games. They may choose to start the games either before 1:30/12:30c or after 7/6c as to not conflict with the CBS broadcast.
Each team may elect to show 1 out of conference game per year on Pay-Per-View.
If an SEC team plays against an out of conference opponent, the home team's TV contract prevails.
Neutral site SEC games (such as Georgia-Florida in Jacksonville) are subject to the SEC TV rules.
Neutral site non-SEC games games (such as the Cowboy Classic or the Chick-fil-a kickoff game) have their own TV contracts and are not subject to these rules.
Order SEC games are picked for TV

This is about the best source I can get right now since it's Friday and I don't feel like navigating 30 pages of google results about the new ESPN deal.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It all comes down to who has the rights to air what, which networks have first crack at selecting games they have the rights to air, and what they believe ratings will be. Also I believe the networks only have a few times per year where they can make short notice decisions on what games to air, otherwise the games have to be chosen more than a week before.

That's what happened here. The marquee SEC game times were selected on September 20th, before Arkansas took aTm to the woodshed. So I can understand why ESPN chose Auburn at LSU for primetime since it's a traditional rivalry and they didn't know Arkansas at Georgia would be a top 10 matchup, to add to that not being a rivalry.

If they had to pick on the 20th that was after both Auburn and LSU had a loss on the resume. Arkansas hadn't beat A&M yet but they were ranked and beat a top 25 Texas. Georgia was #2 so at the least you had that going for you. Rivalry wise sure it's a no brainer but LSU is Auburns 3rd most important rival after Alabama and Georgia. This isn't a banner year for either LSU or Auburn and Georgia is looking a serious title contender. Just seems weird to me to not showcase a more likely playoff team. Maybe the Georgia game ends up a blowout and LSU and Auburn have another classic and I look like an idiot, who knows.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't know the exact contract stipulations, you can google them. But the vast majority of game selections (at least in the SEC) are made on Monday almost two weeks before the actual game. Just google "x vs y gametime announced" and you will see this. Only a few times per year can networks delay their decision to less than a week before.

Order SEC games are picked for TV

This is about the best source I can get right now since it's Friday and I don't feel like navigating 30 pages of google results about the new ESPN deal.

Just by reading that clip you posted ESPN is breaking the rules of the agreement. The Florida game is slotted for 6 which it says isn't allowed cause it interferes with the CBS game. Also the LSU game is at 9 not 8, NCAA website is wrong, so not even primetime. I guess the blame should go to the SEC and not ESPN, they have too many good teams every year it's messing up the TV schedules.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
If they had to pick on the 20th that was after both Auburn and LSU had a loss on the resume. Arkansas hadn't beat A&M yet but they were ranked and beat a top 25 Texas. Georgia was #2 so at the least you had that going for you. Rivalry wise sure it's a no brainer but LSU is Auburns 3rd most important rival after Alabama and Georgia. This isn't a banner year for either LSU or Auburn and Georgia is looking a serious title contender. Just seems weird to me to not showcase a more likely playoff team. Maybe the Georgia game ends up a blowout and LSU and Auburn have another classic and I look like an idiot, who knows.
LSU and Georgia are not rivals. Maybe you mean Florida?

As for Arkansas, sure they beat Texas but Texas was living off hype as usual. Same thing with aTm but to a lesser extent, who I'm sure ESPN figured would beat Arkansas, and all the sudden it would be a barely top 20-25 team playing Georgia on the road. Yes LSU and Auburn have looked pretty bad despite their records but as long as they're winning and/or competive teams that's always going to be a bankable game.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Just by reading that clip you posted ESPN is breaking the rules of the agreement. The Florida game is slotted for 6 which it says isn't allowed cause it interferes with the CBS game. Also the LSU game is at 9 not 8, NCAA website is wrong, so not even primetime. I guess the blame should go to the SEC and not ESPN, they have too many good teams every year it's messing up the TV schedules.
The post never defined what interfering means. Yes, the Florida game slots in at the tail end of the CBS game but I wouldn't say it interferes with it. Regardless, the rough guidelines of that post are mostly if not 100% correct. My whole point is that ESPN had to decide 12 days ago. If CBS had exercised its rights to 6 day window for THIS weekend, ESPN probably would have went with the Arky at UGA game in primetime.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
LSU and Georgia are not rivals. Maybe you mean Florida?

As for Arkansas, sure they beat Texas but Texas was living off hype as usual. Same thing with aTm but to a lesser extent, who I'm sure ESPN figured would beat Arkansas, and all the sudden it would be a barely top 20-25 team playing Georgia on the road. Yes LSU and Auburn have looked pretty bad despite their records but as long as they're winning and/or competive teams that's always going to be a bankable game.

I was referring to Auburn. Their rivals go Alabama, Georgia then LSU.

Texas might suck but at least they're a power 5 team. Until last week when LSU escaped Mississippi state neither of those two had a win over a power 5 team. As long as the games are good I guess it doesn't matter what time they're on.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Maryland is a joke, I can’t wait til Penn St also does that to them again.

The game @ Iowa should be fun. Typically it’s a close, hard fought game that Penn St always wins. I see no reason why it’ll be any different this year.

Sep 19, 2008
Maryland is a joke, I can’t wait til Penn St also does that to them again.

The game @ Iowa should be fun. Typically it’s a close, hard fought game that Penn St always wins. I see no reason why it’ll be any different this year.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports...0211002-2cbyr757bvahrdjvux3aacemmu-story.html
The Terps don’t like to dwell on the past, but the loss to Iowa felt similar to the crushing 59-0 defeat to Penn State in 2019, a game that received a similar build-up before Maryland ultimately fell flat.

Reactions: Rossi Rat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad