Buffalo Bills Week #5: Bills (3-1) @ Chiefs (2-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Early season overthinking…

Well there are only two 2-0 teams in the AFC. Neither of which do I think will be fighting for a one seed at the end. So either last weeks loss won’t be as bad, or we’ll be kicking ourselves because we’ll be tied for one seed and lose on tie breakers.

/early season over thinking.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Still have major questions about Allen. I think he gets the benefit of the doubt because he's great with the media (a quality I find endearing) and a good teammate. But he has reverted to 2019 Allen. I'm fine with that and I think that deep down, our staff sort of expected that. His contract was a testament to the fact that he will be a 60 percent completion, 235 ypg guy who will will himself to win games. Seems fine with me.

The fans who thought last year was his plateau, however, need to take a step back. He is what he is and I'm confident that he can win us a Super Bowl, I just don't think it will be pretty along the way. As long as McBean can continue to provide fantastic coaching and personnel rebuilding, we'll be a-ok.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Have the defenses solved Allen?
I was thinking about this during the game and made these three notes.

- Receivers are getting little if any separation.
- receivers are running Vanilla or super complex routes.
-o line has regressed.

Miami was getting pressure and even impacting throws. When they get pressure and Josh looks for his 1st and second read and they either are in the 2nd break of a complex route or are straight blanketed by a CB with a linebacker covering the shallow route and a safety overtop he needs to find his checkdown, take off or attempt a sketchy throw.

I haven't seen any screen plays or barely any crossing routes. Knox isnt moving linebackers, he is just being passed off (same with rb). Daboll has to figure out a way for the receivers to create space and confusion and it just hasn't happened since Indy. It's like playoff Daboll refuses to accept it and continues to just dig a deeper whole (see that absurd backwards pass on 4th down last week).

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I was thinking about this during the game and made these three notes.

- Receivers are getting little if any separation.
- receivers are running Vanilla or super complex routes.
-o line has regressed.

Miami was getting pressure and even impacting throws. When they get pressure and Josh looks for his 1st and second read and they either are in the 2nd break of a complex route or are straight blanketed by a CB with a linebacker covering the shallow route and a safety overtop he needs to find his checkdown, take off or attempt a sketchy throw.

I haven't seen any screen plays or barely any crossing routes. Knox isnt moving linebackers, he is just being passed off (same with rb). Daboll has to figure out a way for the receivers to create space and confusion and it just hasn't happened since Indy. It's like playoff Daboll refuses to accept it and continues to just dig a deeper whole (see that absurd backwards pass on 4th down last week).

Agree that I'd like to see some RB screens incorporated or maybe some RB draws to try and force defensive lines to think a little bit more instead of being able to just rush full-speed ahead. Allen missed the one deep over to Diggs near the end of the first half quite badly. Seems like he's overthinking and aiming some of his throws instead of letting it rip, and he definitely looks less comfortable. Between Dawkins still suffering from the aftereffects of Covid and Williams struggling at RT, he's had to slide in the pocket to buy time more often this year, and it looks like it's throwing his footwork and mechanics out of whack or he's not resetting before he throws.

I'd like to see more of the quick game like the dump-off to Moss where he fumbled. Take the easy checkdown, get 5+ yards, put yourself in 2nd or 3rd and manageable. Also, more PA from under center. Not sure why they've gone so far away from that when Josh has done well with it in the past and it's typically an easy way to manipulate linebackers and open up the intermediate areas of the field.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Agree that I'd like to see some RB screens incorporated or maybe some RB draws to try and force defensive lines to think a little bit more instead of being able to just rush full-speed ahead. Allen missed the one deep over to Diggs near the end of the first half quite badly. Seems like he's overthinking and aiming some of his throws instead of letting it rip, and he definitely looks less comfortable. Between Dawkins still suffering from the aftereffects of Covid and Williams struggling at RT, he's had to slide in the pocket to buy time more often this year, and it looks like it's throwing his footwork and mechanics out of whack or he's not resetting before he throws.

I'd like to see more of the quick game like the dump-off to Moss where he fumbled. Take the easy checkdown, get 5+ yards, put yourself in 2nd or 3rd and manageable. Also, more PA from under center. Not sure why they've gone so far away from that when Josh has done well with it in the past and it's typically an easy way to manipulate linebackers and open up the intermediate areas of the field.

It seems like there’s interior pressure every other drop back. QBs can step up into a throw when there’s edge pressure, but if there’s no room to do that, then they have to improvise. Looks to me that the center and guards are struggling in pass protection. And it doesn’t get any easier next week.

Though I don’t think WFT secondary is as good as Miami. So we will see.

And yeah I don’t think we’ve seen a RB or TE screen yet this season. Puzzling.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

hopefully daboll is setting up everything for future use in 4 game block running along side and making an easier 20 to 21 game succesful run based on the growth of the players to a peak. Its not as much about the result as it is about each along w the group getting better.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
It seems like there’s interior pressure every other drop back. QBs can step up into a throw when there’s edge pressure, but if there’s no room to do that, then they have to improvise. Looks to me that the center and guards are struggling in pass protection. And it doesn’t get any easier next week.

maybe we just played against two of the better D lines the last games

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Yeah, Feliciano in particular has been pretty weak in pass pro. Wouldn't hate seeing what Bates has to offer if that continues.

Washington's DBs are indeed bad. I watched most of their game vs. the Giants. Their WRs and TEs were getting open almost at will, and it's not like NYG has a premier group of skill players. It'll definitely be a matter of keeping Allen upright/away from Young, which is obviously easier said than done. I wouldn't hate peppering in some more QB runs if the pass game is still struggling--Jones killed them all night with read option keepers.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Yup. I ain't worried yet. Small sample size against two good defenses, though it's rare he doesn't eat the Dolphins alive.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
242104142_10159679104748151_857225469835966107_n.jpg

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad