Pre-Game Talk: Week 3: @Islanders, @Penguins, @Sabres

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Yeah I’m not that concerned about it. We have had a relatively easy schedule to start this year as far as days off in between. Bednar wants them ready and rolling a soon as possible.

Later on when we have back to backs they better have a plan figured out. (Probably Justus) It seems like Frankie might be out all year. His injuries in particular are always mysterious.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Everything is all fine and good until one day Georgie can't go because he's got a groin injury. Then he comes back and aggravates the same groin injury. We've seen this play out before.

You have to rest players before these things happen. You can't wait until they break to realize you should have rested them and just because they say their energy levels are good, doesn't mean they're being honest, or that it would prevent problems by playing them.

George is very similar to Varly stylistically. He relies on his reflexes and flexibility. The Avs broke Varly by overworking him with massive shot totals and lots of quality scoring chances. The Avs are much better now, but there's still a risk of overworking Goerge, which causes a risk of injury and burn out.

They shouldn't be worried about missing the playoffs. They should err on the side of caution with Goergiev, because if something happens with him, they're screwed. Getting max points in October shouldn't be a priority.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Varly was broken well before he got to Colorado. He had major injury issues with the Capitals, even with a lighter workload. Georgiev doesn’t have that.

There’s risk of injury with any position, but Varly had issues before he was even acquired. Don’t think the Avs broke him.
No they didn't, but overusing a goalie will always lead to issues with the groin/hips etc.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm a bit worried. The record is only ok now with the one loss, Mackinnon looks frustrated, the room is fragile, and above all I sense not just physical but mental and synergistic injuries on the way.

• Love
Reactions: McJedi

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Varly was broken well before he got to Colorado. He had major injury issues with the Capitals, even with a lighter workload. Georgiev doesn’t have that.

There’s risk of injury with any position, but Varly had issues before he was even acquired. Don’t think the Avs broke him.

You don't think making him make 40 saves a game, many of them high danger chances, had any impact on his health? It most definitely did IMO.

The risk of injury by overplaying a goaltender is much higher than the risk of injury to a goaltender not being overplayed.

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm not too concerned about George starting 8 games in a row. You have to remember that the first three games each had 2 days off between, he's played 7 games in 16 days, and it will be 8 games in 19 days. No biggie, yet.
Also two of these games he only had 21 and 18 shots (SJ and CHI respectively). He hardly broke a sweat in those games. He should not be tired with that schedule. If he is not tired physically but he is mentally then this is good for him because he needs to toughen up and get used to it before we need him for a long playoffs run. In the playoffs a goalie needs to stay focus for quite a long stretch playing every two days.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Take this with whatever grain of salt you prefer.. I like non iodized pink Himalayan salt..

HockeyStatCards.com | Easy Hockey Stats

Tab - skaters - all skaters list.

Scroll thru the NHLs entire list of average game score performances thru the first 6-7 games. You'll see Jack Hughes is currently #1 in the NHL, followed by Rants, Drai, Barkov, DeBrincat and so on. In just the top 30 average game score players, the Avs have four: Rants, Mack, Nuke and Lex 29th overall.

The dreadful Bowen Byram is ranked all the way down at 31st overall in the entire NHL per average game score. Byram is the 7th ranked defender in the entire NHL, right behind Fox (28th) and Quinn Hughes (27th).

And the Michael Jordan of young defenders in the NHL, Moritz Seider, is ranked 479th in the NHL with an average game score of .01! LFG Mo!!!! Seider is coming off a rather UN-outstanding sophomore season so his star continues to shine very bright as he carries a horrible Red Wings team. That's the approved narrative on Seider right? He keeps that team afloat? Making sure I'm saying the correct words here for you Seider is the Messi of hockey types (cough... all Detoilet fans).

The best defender in the NHL thru the first few games of this season, per this site's average game score is actually a guy that came on strong late last season and is also from the 2019 draft. Thomas Harley. Good for him to develop late, but finally develop.

The Avs have a hell of a pro scouting department. The Stars have a hell of a amateur scouting department. And Mo Seider is really overrated.
hahaha nice

Anyone who is willing to look at analytics outside of power play production knows that Mortiz Seider is wildly overrated.
vastly overated . Slow player

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I'm a bit worried. The record is only ok now with the one loss, Mackinnon looks frustrated, the room is fragile, and above all I sense not just physical but mental and synergistic injuries on the way.
Synergistic injuries. That’s funny. Even as a joke I’m not sure what that means.

But Sounds like something a Bain consultant would say to the FO, if the Avs hired them to “fix” the clubs culture.

Which is also a funny thought in its own right.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Legitimately, who?
Lex = Lehks = Lehkonen.

Synergistic injuries. That’s funny. Even as a joke I’m not sure what that means.

But Sounds like something a Bain consultant would say to the FO, if the Avs hired them to “fix” the clubs culture.

Which is also a funny thought in its own right.
Peter Stastny once complained about the lack of "synergies" when Paul was still on the team.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
giphy.gif

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I hope they're taking the loss as seriously as we are.
I don't know. Their record indicates they probably could forget all about it, just wad that night up and throw it away. The problem is, I think they've been winning despite their performances rather than because of them in quite a few of the early games. This loss may be their first, but it wasn't the first time they've deserved one this season. For that reason, I don't think Bednar will let them to blow it off.

It's rare to see MacKinnon, Makar, and Rantanen all suck for the same game but boy when they do, it's ugly. And the rest of the team obviously didn't play to their levels either. I'm not sure a single player can honestly feel good about their performance in that game. And that's the message...they all know they can be better; they've got all season to fix it and make sure it's right for the playoffs but the work and the good habits that lead to success...that need to begin in earnest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad