Pre-Game Talk: WEEK 28: Last Week of Regular Season "The Continued Suck" at Vegas, vs Oil

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
This ship has sailed, at least for this season.

They have to do it without him ... and likely without Landy, too. We'll see how it goes.
Hm? The ship has sailed? It wouldn't be at all surprising for him to play in our last game of the season and I'd be shocked if he didn't get in the lineup at some point in the playoffs. If things aren't going our way we will need a shakeup of some sort and Kovalenko provides the greatest potential payoff of our extra forwards.

He's not some 18 year old rookie. He's a young vet who has been playing amongst men and captained his team

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Hm? The ship has sailed? It wouldn't be at all surprising for him to play in our last game of the season and I'd be shocked if he didn't get in the lineup at some point in the playoffs. If things aren't going our way we will need a shakeup of some sort and Kovalenko provides the greatest potential payoff of our extra forwards.

He's not some 18 year old rookie. He's a young vet who has been playing amongst men and captained his team
If we need him to "shake things up" then we are f*cked anyway. Sure, it might happen. But you better hope and pray (if this is your thing) that he's not coming up to be our lord and savior. Because that's a role he's not suited for. Better hope for Landy being a surprise entry in a game 7 - that's more likely to happen than Kovi saving our asses.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bednar admitted the other day that the Avs don't do well when they stop for too long...

If the series starts Monday that means that the season ended like this:

3 days off - Jets/Vegas - 3 days off - Oilers - 3 days off - playoffs

Yikes.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Bednar admitted the other day that the Avs don't do well when they stop for too long...

If the series starts Monday that means that the season ended like this:

3 days off - Jets/Vegas - 3 days off - Oilers - 3 days off - playoffs

Yikes.
this is just Bednar's way of justifying playing MacKinnon in a meaningless game 82 to chase the art/hart

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Man, I'm doing my best to try and wipe the slate clean and approach the playoffs like a completely new season. But it's the play heading into the playoffs that is concerning me more so than health.

It's the defensive breakdowns, the bad passes, the inability to clear, the timid PK, being routed in board battles, getting beat to every loose puck...all of this way, way too much for a team that is supposed to be fast, aggressive and wants the puck. Turtling instead of maintaining pressure on the rare occasion they have the lead has done nothing to help lock down victories or instill good habits. The Avs simply aren't built/trained properly/capable of locking down a 2 or 3 goal game by changing their style of play.

I still have hope that there will be many switches flipped come Game 1. But if not, we'll be lucky to have a second round exit.

Reactions: cinchronicity

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What a weird schedule and not in a good way, Avs play B2B and then get the week off until Thursday and then playoffs start Saturday (which I don't ever remember seeing in my life), and Game 1 for us might be on Monday. The season should have been over for some teams last night and the remaining teams tonight. Teams that finished on Tuesday start the playoffs on Saturday, teams that finish on Wednesday, start the playoffs on Sunday.

Reactions: Balthazar

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What a weird schedule and not in a good way, Avs play B2B and then get the week off until Thursday and then playoffs start Saturday (which I don't ever remember seeing in my life), and Game 1 for us might be on Monday. The season should have been over for some teams last night and the remaining teams tonight. Teams that finished on Tuesday start the playoffs on Saturday, teams that finish on Wednesday, start the playoffs on Sunday.

It is all about TV and giving TNT and ESPN some late games for primetime airing. Either way in the scenarios though, most teams get 3 days off. Some will get 4. I think only 2 will end up with just two days off.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It is all about TV and giving TNT and ESPN some late games for primetime airing. Either way in the scenarios though, most teams get 3 days off. Some will get 4. I think only 2 will end up with just two days off.
3 days off would be fine if we had a normal schedule to end the season...but we didn't.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Have to think the Leafs will be one of the teams with only 2 days off. Unless the Celtics are playing Saturday, it’s virtually a guarantee they will do all the can to schedule the Leafs for Saturday nights. They’ll target at least one Saturday game for the Canucks, Oilers and Jets too

Edit: I see the Celtics play Sunday. Would be stunned at that point for Leafs Bruins to not open HNIC playoff coverage then

Reactions: niwotsblessing

BoneCherry

Nov 19, 2021
Dallas
I'm in Mexico next week for a family trip, perhaps a saving grace so I don't have to be drinking myself stupid in anger watching the games at home. I can instead do that on a beach.
Enjoy your trip! It does sound like a better week than sitting home watching.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
back to Quebec City
87bb1128-8485-4004-8ce5-5e236d1f9909_text.gif

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We have to match the Jets defensive game. If we open up, run and gun and try to score 4 goals every game, it’s not gonna work. There are gonna be mistakes which Jets are gonna take advantage of, then we gonna try to play catch up all game and lose. You know, like the Avs have done for many times this year. All those come back wins Avs have this year, not gonna work in the playoffs

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We have to match the Jets defensive game. If we open up, run and gun and try to score 4 goals every game, it’s not gonna work. There are gonna be mistakes which Jets are gonna take advantage of, then we gonna try to play catch up all game and lose. You know, like the Avs have done for many times this year. All those come back wins Avs have this year, not gonna work in the playoffs
Especially the playing from behind... the Jets are absurdly good at playing with the lead. If they lead after the first period at all, they win 93% of the time. That elevates to 95% after 2. If the Avs get down in game and can't tie it up quickly, they'll lose. This is going to be a series about scoring first or responding very quickly for the Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad