Pre-Game Talk: WEEK 28: Last Week of Regular Season "The Continued Suck" at Vegas, vs Oil

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Growing up as a Viking fan (*family is Norwegian and came to America in 1913* began following them when they got into the NFL) I used to marvel at how members of my family that were absolutely clueless about football used to say "just throw it deep to moss 4 times a quarter" like NFL defenses weren't game planning exactly versus that same thing.

When you two guys say what you just did, it makes me question if you are similarly clueless. You are both advocating that your wives know more about the NHL and hockey than a guy that has won at every level he coached. Why don't you guys sit the next few plays out and think about how ridiculous you sound and how it is reasonable to assume you guys are not worth listening to.

The problem with your supposition is that the criticisms are identical to those of analysts who have coached and played. I've played and coached at the Div 1 level. My wife, as such, has less knowledge than me. But she has watched plenty (dating when I played, married when I coached), and we have been season ticket holders for the Islanders and Thrashers before coming here. If she says a car is blue, she need not have painted the car to know that it is blue. Furthermore, the points made were not in the 'play Mackinnon for 40 minutes' category, rather on distinct deficiencies also mentioned by professionals.

Winning at every level sounds terrific yet it means nothing. Minor league hockey might as well be a different sport than NHL hockey. One or two stars will win you a minor league title. So one coaches around that notion. Just like an AHL player being terrific does not necessarily translate into the NHL, being an amazing ECHL coach does not automatically make a coach NHL material. Give me some specifics: What in-game strategies can you identify from specific games that would indicate Bednar is a superstar coach? Why is it that each and every Bednar NHL team has been terrible at face-offs? Why is it that it took 3 years for Bednar to come up with a D-Zone exit strategy? Why is it that for 8 years, this team has been unable to clear the puck? These are all things supposedly coached in practice.

I've got another dozen or so hockey coaching/teaching questions for you, if you like. However, there is a distinct difference between causation and correlation. Being part of a winning team need not necessarily mean that one caused it.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
The problem with your supposition is that the criticisms are identical to those of analysts who have coached and played. I've played and coached at the Div 1 level. My wife, as such, has less knowledge than me. But she has watched plenty (dating when I played, married when I coached), and we have been season ticket holders for the Islanders and Thrashers before coming here. If she says a car is blue, she need not have painted the car to know that it is blue. Furthermore, the points made were not in the 'play Mackinnon for 40 minutes' category, rather on distinct deficiencies also mentioned by professionals.

Winning at every level sounds terrific yet it means nothing. Minor league hockey might as well be a different sport than NHL hockey. One or two stars will win you a minor league title. So one coaches around that notion. Just like an AHL player being terrific does not necessarily translate into the NHL, being an amazing ECHL coach does not automatically make a coach NHL material. Give me some specifics: What in-game strategies can you identify from specific games that would indicate Bednar is a superstar coach? Why is it that each and every Bednar NHL team has been terrible at face-offs? Why is it that it took 3 years for Bednar to come up with a D-Zone exit strategy? Why is it that for 8 years, this team has been unable to clear the puck? These are all things supposedly coached in practice.

I've got another dozen or so hockey coaching/teaching questions for you, if you like. However, there is a distinct difference between causation and correlation. Being part of a winning team need not necessarily mean that one caused it.
Long quote to defend saying that your wife knows more about hockey than Bednar. You don't know as much as he does either, unless you can provide some proof.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

When asked about the play of Casey Mittelstadt, Bednar said he’s in a “lull” right now and not creating as much offense as they’d like. I’ll probably have more on that soon. Bednar said they had a good talk with video the other day about the systems with him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I'd argue that over the tenure of Bednar, the Avs are consistently the best puck retreval and transition team in the league... and it really isn't even close to #2. They exit the zone at an elite rate. Where the Avs' primary issues lie... they don't handle pressure well. If it is tactically, they make a lot of turnovers forcing things and can be baited. If it is physically, they can't handle hits and win battles at a high rate. Bednar's system isn't perfect and I think he is an incredibly one note sort of system guy... but I don't think you can reasonably say that the Avs are not a good zone exit team. I can give plenty of examples of plays and tactics that are good and bad on Bednar. If you can't see anything good he's done, I'd say something is blinding your judgement. I don't think Bednar is the best coach in the league, but he's certainly top 10.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Growing up as a Viking fan (*family is Norwegian and came to America in 1913* began following them when they got into the NFL) I used to marvel at how members of my family that were absolutely clueless about football used to say "just throw it deep to moss 4 times a quarter" like NFL defenses weren't game planning exactly versus that same thing.

When you two guys say what you just did, it makes me question if you are similarly clueless. You are both advocating that your wives know more about the NHL and hockey than a guy that has won at every level he coached. Why don't you guys sit the next few plays out and think about how ridiculous you sound and how it is reasonable to assume you guys are not worth listening to.
Lol what an arrogant comment. I know damn well that Bednar knows more about hockey than either me or my wife. I'm not even remotely pretending to know more about hockey than a NHL head coach.

I'm very versed on hockey as it's been a big part of my life for 35+ years, my wife not as much.

All I was trying to point out, in an attempted funny way, is that Bednar's decision making lately hasn't been all that great. Things that seem pretty obvious to me, and obvious enough that my wife is even noticing, Bednar seems to be looking the other way, ignoring, whatever it might be. And his lack of adaptability has been really lacking lately, and it's very much so been a determent to the team. Bednar and his staff all need to look in the mirror and be better.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I think he is putting Mikko back with Mack to give him a better shot at the scoring title and the Hart.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I think against the Jets we have to spread out the talent. I know Bednar has become allergic to this but this is what I'd do:

Drouin - MacK - Nuke
Kovalenko - Mittlestadt - Rantanen
Parise - Colton - Lehkonen
Wood - Trenin - Duhaime

Something along those lines. I think Kovalenko and Mitts could spark each other.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I think against the Jets we have to spread out the talent. I know Bednar has become allergic to this but this is what I'd do:

Drouin - MacK - Nuke
Wood - Trenin - Duhaime

Something along those lines. I think Kovalenko and Mitts could spark each other.
Kovalenko never played a second on North American ice; at least until yesterday. Noone knows how long it may take for him to adjust to the smaller rink, or if he can do it at all. This ship has sailed, at least for this season.

They have to do it without him ... and likely without Landy, too. We'll see how it goes.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO

Drouin - MacK - Nuke
Wood - Trenin - Duhaime

Cogliano is better than Parise.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Kovalenko never played a second on North American ice; at least until yesterday. Noone knows how long it may take for him to adjust to the smaller rink, or if he can do it at all. This ship has sailed, at least for this season.

They have to do it without him ... and likely without Landy, too. We'll see how it goes.
Most likely the case yes. Let's hope he adjusts quickly.

Rants..... it's the size of the brain inside that big skull that matters, not the size of your head!

If the brain is comparably smaller, it gets shaken around too much.....

However, one can also have an overabundance of cushioning inside that head...... it's commonly referred to as a "lot of cotton between the ears".......

So maybe that's why you were minimally affected........lol
Funny post but he was probably joking.

Concussions are no joke though. Ex-Avalanche had to retire (Donskoi), because head injuries. You need to be extremely careful with those, especially if the player is more prone to them. (Donskoi got rocked quite few times with Avalanche and his problems started before signing with Avalanche..)

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Even though this place is full of doom and gloom, I'm happy: bought tickets to playoff home games 1 & 2!!! Been a dream of mine for so long, so excited about it happening!
Same here but only for game 1 I've been dreaming of this ! I got them few weeks ago. I was so afraid to miss them or pay too much. Now I'm starting to get stressed to book everything when the dates aren't announced yet. I'm from Canada.

• Love
Reactions: Murzu

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So rumour is we start on Monday? Anything to back this up?
Nothing officially, but going on the road likely makes that the case. The NHL typically likes teams to have 3 days off after their end of the season. So Friday, Saturday, and Sunday fits that. The Nuggets being home and going Sat and Monday would have pushed the Avs to Sunday/Tuesday or Tuesday/Thursday. Additionally the schedule for the Canada Life Center points to Monday/Wednesday as the best time since there is a concert on Thursday. Which happens to tie into the next scheduled Nuggets game well. Going Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Sunday also fits perfectly with the monday schedule of Game 5 Nuggets/Lakers.

Now they may tweak it to be Sunday if there are TV complications as that schedule can be made to work too. Just isn't as ideal.

Reactions: The Shermanator

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Did Bednar this morning say whether the big boys are playing on Thursday, or if it will be a 'B-squad' for a meaningless game?

My assumption is that if the big boys are in, so is George. If they aren't, then Annunen gets the nod.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad