Pre-Game Talk: WEEK 28: Last Week of Regular Season "The Continued Suck" at Vegas, vs Oil

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
As fans, we've been having this discussion for what seems like weeks now, seems weird that it's just now being discussed in the larger media. I like where Elliotte went though.

Georgieve has been given basically the entire season to right his ship and here we are at game 82's doorstep and we really don't like what we've seen.

Now look at Justus...8th in the league in Sv% (.925), 10th in GAA (2.35). I do not think he can do much more than maybe pulling a Tonya Harding to help us win. He's probably not the answer, I admit it. But I do believe he'll put up more of a fight and that might be enough for our boys if they get rolling.
I mean you have to look at who Annunens played this year. He’s started at against CHI x2, MTL, CBJ, OTT, CGY, STL, NJ, TBL, and MIN. He has decent numbers but that’s a lot of bad teams and at best some above average teams.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Last year they were on an absolute heater and seized the division with that final push. How did that work out? The only teams hotter than the Avs entering the playoffs were the Bruins and Oilers. Trying to enter the playoffs hot is a waste and the Avs management knows it.
Yeah I agree with this. I know some people don't really believe in this kind of 'mumbo-jumbo' but I do.

I think every season has ebbs and flows and teams have great stretches and shitty stretches and individual players too. Good teams end up with more & better longer stretches and less & shorter shittier stretches but they exist for all teams.

Last season we finished the year with an 8-1-1 record to pass the dallas stars by one measly point to face the 2nd wild card which turned out to be a first round exit at the hands of the kraken. All that to avoid the minnesota mild...imagine that. We were due to play some shitty games and have a crappy stretch and we certainly did.

Three weeks ago, it looked like the jets couldn't buy a win and were something like 0-4-5 or something like that and now they're on a 6 game winning streak. We'll see what happens... I hope they win their last 2 games. :D

They are certainly a very good team and have a great goaltender but the last time I checked, this isn't a new development. He's been a great goaltender for the past several years and playoffs and they haven't been exactly a crappy team during that time. They may have had some detrimental players (wheeler, pld, etc...) and they have more depth now but we'll see if they are going to be able to elevate their game the way they need to in the playoffs. Everyone around here is already acting like it's a foregone conclusion.

One thing I know, is that if Nathan MacKinnon decides that he's going to go COMPLETELY APESHIT in the playoffs, he's going to be hard to stop under any scenario.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah I agree with this. I know some people don't really believe in this kind of 'mumbo-jumbo' but I do.

I think every season has ebbs and flows and teams have great stretches and shitty stretches and individual players too. Good teams end up with more & better longer stretches and less & shorter shittier stretches but they exist for all teams.

Last season we finished the year with an 8-1-1 record to pass the dallas stars by one measly point to face the 2nd wild card which turned out to be a first round exit at the hands of the kraken. All that to avoid the minnesota mild...imagine that. We were due to play some shitty games and have a crappy stretch and we certainly did.

Three weeks ago, it looked like the jets couldn't buy a win and were something like 0-4-5 or something like that and now they're on a 6 game winning streak. We'll see what happens... I hope they win their last 2 games. :D

They are certainly a very good team and have a great goaltender but the last time I checked, this isn't a new development. He's been a great goaltender for the past several years and playoffs and they haven't been exactly a crappy team during that time. They may have had some detrimental players (wheeler, pld, etc...) and they have more depth now but we'll see if they are going to be able to elevate their game the way they need to in the playoffs. Everyone around here is already acting like it's a foregone conclusion.

One thing I know, is that if Nathan MacKinnon decides that he's going to go COMPLETELY APESHIT in the playoffs, he's going to be hard to stop under any scenario.
I don't disagree with anything said here.

I just have a hard time being hopeful going against a team that has kicked the ever living shit out of the Avs in all three games this season. We've scored 4 goals on them. They've scored 17 on us.

This is not a good matchup.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yeah, he's had issues with Bowness before but at the same time, the system does work quite well when the players stick to it for 60 minutes or as close to that as possible (ie: Game #2 vs Tampa in the finals).

I'm certainly not saying that it's easy for them to pull off every single game but I think we saw a good deal of that yesterday through 2 periods - where we gave vgk very little and it felt like this is the way we should be playing on a regular basis if we hope to have a deep playoff run.

It's going to take a while longer for a Stanley Cup winning coach like Bednar that won only 2 years ago to get fired. I'd love for them to do things differently on the PP as it's kind of stale but it can heat up at times as well.
I think Bednar's system is great, however it's very demanding and difficult to sustain.

Also believe other coaches have adapted to it so it's not as effective as it once was.

You are probably right about his job security. However if we go out early I bet there will be pressure from above for him to find new assistants.

Reactions: katfude

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think Bednar's system is great, however it's very demanding and difficult to sustain.

Also believe other coaches have adapted to it so it's not as effective as it once was.

You are probably right about his job security. However if we go out early I bet there will be pressure from above for him to find new assistants.
When Avs won the cup in 22, they could adjust and play any style the opposition threw at them. They could run and gun or they could defend and grind out wins. Don’t think this version of the Avs can do all that. Seems like the only system they can play this year is try to outscore the opposition while giving up bunch of goals themselves

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
When Avs won the cup in 22, they could adjust and play any style the opposition threw at them. They could run and gun or they could defend and grind out wins. Don’t think this version of the Avs can do all that. Seems like the only system they can play this year is try to outscore the opposition while giving up bunch of goals themselves
That's the system they are forced to play since George can't buy a save. Kind hard to play any other way when you know to even have a chance you are going to need 5 goals scored.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That's the system they are forced to play since George can't buy a save. Kind hard to play any other way when you know to even have a chance you are going to need 5 goals scored.
Not sure if this Avs team is capable of playing a full 60 minute shutdown hockey. They need to do it since Georgiev can’t stop pucks to have any chance, I’m just not sure they can

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
My Playoff Avatar idea, for the 4 games we will be in the playoffs, is:

The Rangers fans tried to tell us...

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Trenin as well. Has 2 goals, and 0 assists since being acquired, and one of those goals grazed him as it went into the net. Duhaime also only has 1 goal, and 4 assists (should have 2 goals, as the one Trenin goal was Duhaime's shot). Outside of LOC and Rosco, the entire Bottom 6 has been disappointing this season. Was why I was hoping Kovalenko would get into the lineup.
All of the guys that we've acquired for the bottom-6 : Colton, Wood, Duhaime, Trenin & Parise will be measured by what happens next week and beyond - not by how they performed in the regular season.

I could care less how many points they've put up or how many they put up in the playoffs. As long as they play -> the way they were brought here to play during the playoffs <- I'll be happy with the addition. Besides, if they play the way I think they can, the points will come.

I think we look a ton better when the 3rd line is : Wood-Colton-Duhaime and the 4th line is : Cogs-Trenin-Parise. I think both those lines have the potential to be really hard to play against for other teams and that these last 10 days - having 2 stretches of 3 days off between games will help some of the older players get ready.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
All of the guys that we've acquired for the bottom-6 : Colton, Wood, Duhaime, Trenin & Parise will be measured by what happens next week and beyond - not by how they performed in the regular season.

I could care less how many points they've put up or how many they put up in the playoffs. As long as they play -> the way they were brought here to play during the playoffs <- I'll be happy with the addition. Besides, if they play the way I think they can, the points will come.

I think we look a ton better when the 3rd line is : Wood-Colton-Duhaime and the 4th line is : Cogs-Trenin-Parise. I think both those lines have the potential to be really hard to play against for other teams and that these last 10 days - having 2 stretches of 3 days off between games will help some of the older players get ready.
Not that I disagree, because having a bottom 6 that’s tough to play against is nice. But at some point you need someone who isn’t Mikko, Mack, Nuke to score. So even if they play well physically and defensively, some production is necessary.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Friedge and Marek talking about George/Annunen on 32 Thoughts. Elliotte thinks it would be best to rip the band-aid off and go with Annunen, Marek says there is no way, and Geogre will start vs Edmonton on Thursday and the first game of the playoffs.

Elliotte says he thinks Avs v. Jets series will start on Monday.
This is actually sad. We are heading into the playoffs and it's gotten so bad in net that even the national guys, who rarely pay attention to the Avs, are debating what we should do in net.

The worst decision Bednar has ever made as the head coach came two weeks ago when he decided to keep going with a George. It was clearly not working and was actually getting worse.

So instead of giving Annunen a few starts down the stretch against better teams to see if it was remotely plausible for him to start playoff games, he left George in, and it's just gotten worse every outing.

Now you are f***ed, Annunen is the better option but you have no idea what he can do. And George who is going to start is beyond mentally destroyed and the team has absolutely no faith in him and it shows in their play.

Insanely bad coaching decision and he's really pretty much destroyed this season with that choice.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
This is actually sad. We are heading into the playoffs and it's gotten so bad in net that even the national guys, who rarely pay attention to the Avs, are debating what we should do in net.

The worst decision Bednar has ever made as the head coach came two weeks ago when he decided to keep going with a George. It was clearly not working and was actually getting worse.

So instead of giving Annunen a few starts down the stretch against better teams to see if it was remotely plausible for him to start playoff games, he left George in, and it's just gotten worse every outing.

Now you are f***ed, Annunen is the better option but you have no idea what he can do. And George who is going to start is beyond mentally destroyed and the team has absolutely no faith in him and it shows in their play.

Insanely bad coaching decision and he's really pretty much destroyed this season with that choice.
Once again I'm going to have to thoroughly disagree with this viewpoint. You cannot play a rookie with 14 career starts (or maybe 17/18/19 if you played him more) as your starter in the playoffs. Whether you like it or not, George is the starter and Bednar had to try and get him going. There's a reason he refers to him as the starter, its because he's the only one we have. Bednar had no choice. Annunen is not an option yet. It was only what 8 or so games ago last month where George was looking better during our win streak, he had something like a .924%, and a 2.1GAA. Bednar had to see if he could get that out of Georgiev again. If he had gone with Annunen, well he might as well have waived George then and there and brought up Pro, because you think you'll get better stats out of George in the backup position? Bednar 100% had to go with George. Now we wait to see if he can actually return to his level of play from last month or even last year, or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad