NCAA GDT: Week 2

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Tennessee won the national championship the first year I watched college football in earnest, which I guess shows my age, that was 21 years ago

Florida for me. So just a few years before.

It’s also easy to pinpoint exactly what’s wrong with Tennessee and why it’s over for them. You get a few cracks to stop the downward spiral and they whiffed on all of them. Now they have weak talent and a weak coach. Usually when a team is headed downward they have good talent with a bad coach that can be replaced by a good coach, but the chance for that passed a while ago. The other teams in Their conference are now so much more powerful and have sway on the trail. So it’s over. There is basically nothing they can do because a good coach won’t go there.

USC has the same problem, but they continue to recruit very well while having weak coaches. If Helton lucked into another great QB, he won’t lose his job and they’ll have a strong team again even though he sucks.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Florida for me. So just a few years before.

It’s also easy to pinpoint exactly what’s wrong with Tennessee and why it’s over for them. You get a few cracks to stop the downward spiral and they whiffed on all of them. Now they have weak talent and a weak coach. Usually when a team is headed downward they have good talent with a bad coach that can be replaced by a good coach, but the chance for that passed a while ago. The other teams in Their conference are now so much more powerful and have sway on the trail. So it’s over. There is basically nothing they can do because a good coach won’t go there,

USC has the same problem, but they continue to recruit very well while having weak coaches. If Helton lucked into another great QB, he won’t lose his job and they’ll have a strong team again even though he sucks.

That was like the third year I knew what college football was, I think the first game I ever watched was the Penn State-Oregon Rose Bowl.

USC is always going to have deep talent pools because enough California kids are willing to stay home. It’s what made the UCLA job appealing to Chip, he doesn’t have to convince these kids was recruiting to leave anymore. Although he also doesn’t want to recruit, so that could be a problem.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
USC is always going to have deep talent pools because enough California kids are willing to stay home. It’s what made the UCLA job appealing to Chip, he doesn’t have to convince these kids was recruiting to leave anymore. Although he also doesn’t want to recruit, so that could be a problem.

Chip also seems to not have realized that defenses have caught up to his innovations. Kids here play against that offense their whole time through high school.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Chip also seems to not have realized that defenses have caught up to his innovations. Kids here play against that offense their whole time through high school.

I think the NFL made him soft quite frankly. He wanted to make it there. If this doesn’t work out at UCLA, I don’t see him moving down a level and coaching at Arizona like RichRod and Sumlin

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think the NFL made him soft quite frankly. He wanted to make it there. If this doesn’t work out at UCLA, I don’t see him moving down a level and coaching at Arizona like RichRod and Sumlin

I also don't see him moving down a level. The fire is gone. He took the easiest job that he could possibly take because nobody really cares all that much about UCLA football to begin with. Very low pressure job where he could get a big paycheck. The position coaches and coordinators he picked up also had very little to no experience or success in any of the roles they were hired for. I also feel like pointing out he didn't even recruit their damn QB, who was their highest rated recruit over the last two years. Jim Mora did that and the QB decided not to leave.

Programs that fall like UCLA and Tennessee, those falls are probably best reflected in the position coaches that those schools hire.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Cal upsets Washington 20-19. Both teams traded late field goals. Let’s go until sunrise next week.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I also don't see him moving down a level. The fire is gone. He took the easiest job that he could possibly take because nobody really cares all that much about UCLA football to begin with. Very low pressure job where he could get a big paycheck. The position coaches and coordinators he picked up also had very little to no experience or success in any of the roles they were hired for. I also feel like pointing out he didn't even recruit their damn QB, who was their highest rated recruit over the last two years. Jim Mora did that and the QB decided not to leave.

Programs that fall like UCLA and Tennessee, those falls are probably best reflected in the position coaches that those schools hire.

After his NFL run he probably lost all his contacts. When he left the Eagles, he wanted to bring every last assistant with him to the 49ers

Sep 19, 2008
Remember that Pruitt wasn't even their first choice for coach.

Imagine Mike leach at Tennessee

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
One kinda funny thing about these early season games between cupcakes and blue blood/P5 teams is when things are ugly early but then all make sense in the end.

Had a buddy try to give me some crap because PSU was down 10-7 at the half to Buffalo. Ended up winning 45-13, lmao.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Utah will end up losing to both Oregon and UW just to keep the waters muddy. That's how the Pac rolls.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
By the time play resumed in Seattle last night, the stands looked about 75% empty. Definitely to Cal's advantage.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
0-2 against 2 of the worst teams in FBS
both L's at home

Feel bad for Vols fans.
They're now fondly reminiscing the Butch Jones days

If only they had hired Mike Leach :/

Not that it changes your overall point, but BYU might be a top 40 team, they're not even close to one of the worst.

Tennessee looks like the third-best team in their own state right now. And Middle Tennessee might have something to say about that, Lol.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
why does that need to be a thing? the other conferences dont do 4 games. the pac 12 complains about the late games hurting them, but then start a game thats even late for pacific time.

That Cal/UW game was delayed by weather. It was scheduled for 7.30 Pacific. I honestly don't recall a Pac-12 game starting at 9 Pacific which is midnight Eastern. 7.45 Pacific is about as late as they'll go. The problem is that a game starting at 10.30/10.45 Eastern won't be over before like 2 am Eastern by which time most folks are in bed. For example, I suspect few people in the Eastern time zone without a rooting interest watched USC demolish Stanford in quite impressive fashion after a sluggish start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad