Post-Game Talk: WEEK 17 - Staying Alive - All they have to do is win in Buffalo

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
And you're ignoring what everyone else is saying, you chowderhead.

NO ONE is saying Stidham was the answer, they're saying it was CLEAR AS f***ING CRYSTAL that Newton wasn't. So what was the harm in giving the unknown a REAL chance when what the known is giving you is crap?

Crap is crap no matter whose pants are down

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
You think Mac would be better on another team?

There isn't anything about him that demonstrates being more than average.

People act like BB went Tanya Harding on him because he put in the 3rd string QB (after Hoyer) when Mac got hurt.

These losses have been close and QB play hasn't been good we have another win and are clinched if Bill stuck with Zappe. Jones was fine today.
I refuse to dismiss everything Mac did last year. He has, or had, legitimate tools to be an NFL QB but the coaching situation and roster construction has absolutely wrecked his development arc.

Reactions: Mione134 and CDJ

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
"cost his team the game" the dude dropped 365, 3 TDs against the best D in the league in his first start and got his crappy team to OT. It was a better performance than anything Mac has done this season. You can argue about what he did here but Stidham was pretty amazing today.

He did cost his team the game. They had a chance to win, he threw a horrible pick that got returned inside the 5.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
"cost his team the game" the dude dropped 365, 3 TDs against the best D in the league in his first start and got his crappy team to OT. It was a better performance than anything Mac has done this season. You can argue about what he did here but Stidham was pretty amazing today.
Yup, they put up 34 points and around 500yds on the best D in the league. Guy gets picked on a batted ball and a play where his LT just gets absolutely steamrolled directly into him, but Stidham "cost them the game"

Crap is crap no matter whose pants are down
profound and deflective. I'm only being half sarcastic, see if you can figure out which half

Reactions: Johnnyduke

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Stidham in no way cost his team the game. He was very good, did a lot of great things. Showed some guts too.

He was very bad in just about every look he got here save for that first preseason so I understand why he didn’t get much of a look here

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Stidham in no way cost his team the game. He was very good, did a lot of great things. Showed some guts too.

He was very bad in just about every look he got here save for that first preseason so I understand why he didn’t get much of a look here
Tough to judge a young QB when they never get reps as a starter even in practice

Being a Raider fan, i'm obviously biased, but i saw nothing to dislike about his game. The first pick was batted at the line, maybe he shouldn't have tried the pass, but 19 times out of 20 that ends up incomplete. The 2nd pick Miller got pushed right into him, like Bosa wasn't even slowed down, i doubt many QBs would expect their 325lb LT to get worked in that fashion, like beaten clean outside, maybe, but that would still take longer to get to him then it ended up taking Miller to get right on top of him.

I'm very interested to see what another week of first team reps and prep will look like. If he balls out again next week i'm 100% okay with rolling with him next season and building both lines in the draft and FA

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
You think Mac would be better on another team?

There isn't anything about him that demonstrates being more than average.

People act like BB went Tanya Harding on him because he put in the 3rd string QB (after Hoyer) when Mac got hurt.

These losses have been close and QB play hasn't been good we have another win and are clinched if Bill stuck with Zappe. Jones was fine today.

Please. Please stop with the Zappe.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Screenshot_20230101_214046_Chrome.jpg

I still think there's a lot to work with him. This year is a wash. Give him a competent OC and see what happens. Not gonna write him off because of a shitty season and two guys who have no business being in the positions that they're in. Patricia and Judge.

Next year. If they actually get a OC, we can see what we have. He showed great promise last year.

Screenshot_20230101_214220_Chrome.jpg

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
He was pretty bad down the stretch last year.
Maybe. It's to be expected of rookie QBs as the tape on them grows. He still put up a better QBR than any game this season in week 16, and his final week loss would have been his 4th best rate this season. Year 2 you expect him to improve on those areas and mostly maintain the basic. It's hard to deny there has been a big regression this year. To his credit he's improved his decision making and cut down on the turnovers lately. He was pretty fine today. But overall I'm not seeing the skill level needed to compete for titles in the NFL anymore, and I don't put all that blame on Mac.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Maybe. It's to be expected of rookie QBs as the tape on them grows. He still put up a better QBR than any game this season in week 16, and his final week loss would have been his 4th best rate this season. Year 2 you expect him to improve on those areas and mostly maintain the basic. It's hard to deny there has been a big regression this year. To his credit he's improved his decision making and cut down on the turnovers lately. He was pretty fine today. But overall I'm not seeing the skill level needed to compete for titles in the NFL anymore, and I don't put all that blame on Mac.

Even at his best, what is he above average at?

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
And you're ignoring what everyone else is saying, you chowderhead.

NO ONE is saying Stidham was the answer, they're saying it was CLEAR AS f***ING CRYSTAL that Newton wasn't. So what was the harm in giving the unknown a REAL chance when what the known is giving you is crap?
I truly do not understand the stubbornness to defend sticking with Newton when Stidham would randomly get thrown into the game instead of preparing all week as the starter. I would imagine most NFL QBs would say that makes a huge difference.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

Except when the alternatives were a weekend at Bernie's version of Cam Newton and Brian Hoyer. Do we all remember the mistakes Hoyer made against KC as an established vet in the league? The results could have been exactly the same with Stidham if he started the whole year but he had the most upside of the three and I would have been fine watching growing pains of a first year starter. It's not like Cam Newton resurrected his career elsewhere.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Mac deserves another year, hopefully with a qualified oc and a wr1 but the only reason you're sticking with him is because he's a cheap, average qb on a roster that's not yet a qb away from the super bowl and not because you think he's got top 10 qb potential. His ceiling is Derek Carr and even the Raiders finally realized they won't win anything paying Derek Carr the money they do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad