NFL GDT: Week 15

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
You are right about bad calls. In this case, that was a touchdown. The Pats go from playing a road game in the AFC Championship game to being home now. Which is what is so messed up.

Remember to Seferian-Jenkins non touchdown? What if the Jets win that game? Jets got screwed on that just has much as the Steelers got screwed today. That's two games the Pats were handed. If the right calls are made in these two games, the Pats might not even get a first round bye.
Can't speak to the Jets game, but whether you like the rule of not, the right call was made last night.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
First full NFL game I watched all season was Pats-Steelers and boy was that call bad. I don't care if it's "right" under the rules. Then the rules are stupid. So if he was a running back that's a touchdown? That was so bad.

f*** the NFL. At least fix your damn games right. Last NFL game I ever watch. I didn't miss it last year (I didn't even realize the Steelers and Pats played in the AFC Championship game) I won't miss it going forward.

Flag football with Uniform Commercial Code set of rules........

No thanks.......

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
People who think it was a bad call don't really even understand what they're upset about. It was a great, tough call by the rulebook. Your problem is with the rulebook. There's a difference. You can't just go changing the rulebook in the middle of the game.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

Davis is a good dude. It was a bad hit, but he's not a headhunter. He's made some questionable hits that have resulted in fines, but never anything close to what he did to Adams.

Hopefully he gets suspended for a game. He could use a week to rest at home against the Bucs who are on a short week with travel. He'd be fresher for Atlanta, which is probably going to be fairly meaningless as I don't see the Falcons beating the Saints in New Orleans on a short week with travel or losing to the Bucs with an opportunity to win the South. Panthers will almost certainly end up with the 5th seed and maybe a trip back to NO, depending on what the Rams and Vikings do down the stretch.

Reactions: SnS

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
In other news..Ben Roethlisberger showing that great leadership and blaming the coaches for the fake spike. What a fatass coward. They give you the freedom to call your own plays except right then?

This isn't getting much attention with all the "what's a catch!?" talk, but yeah. Wow.

I would think the situations where you clock it are pretty much set in stone: first down with no timeouts, down inbounds with less than 15 seconds (assuming it's not fourth down), maybe on a first down with one timeout that you want to preserve. By no means an all-encompassing list there, but it should absolutely be ingrained in your offense when you spike. Probably something a rookie would know after a few two minute drills in camp.

The initial decision to clock it and subsequent decision to force it into coverage rests entirely on #7's shoulders. But instead of owning it, he throws his OC under the bus. What a tool.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Got a lot of respect for Thomas Davis for hoe he acted after that hit. I think 1 game suspension would be fair, and sounds like he would accept it and not try to appeal. To me that is a textbook game suspension hit, which is why the Gronk hit should have been 2 at least, because the intent was clearly much worse.

*Cue angry Pats fans*

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Got a lot of respect for Thomas Davis for hoe he acted after that hit. I think 1 game suspension would be fair, and sounds like he would accept it and not try to appeal. To me that is a textbook game suspension hit, which is why the Gronk hit should have been 2 at least, because the intent was clearly much worse.

*Cue angry Pats fans*

That's the only way Pittsburgh was gunna stop Gronk, if he just wasn't on the field.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I can't get over how bad that final play was for Pittsburgh. All the lineman stood up including the Patriots lineman and only one of their 5 receivers went out for a pass. Bell literally never moved for the entire duration of the play. And then Rothlisberger nearly gets sacked and throws into triple coverage

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I can't get over how bad that final play was for Pittsburgh. All the lineman stood up including the Patriots lineman and only one of their 5 receivers went out for a pass. Bell literally never moved for the entire duration of the play. And then Rothlisberger nearly gets sacked and throws into triple coverage
They were confused

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Anyone who watches a lot of football knows that the call in Steelers/Patriots was correct. It wasn't even a particularly close call as these go. If it had been the other way around and the refs had given the TD but for the Pats the same people who complain now would have screamed it was fixed, too. (Because the NFL loves the Pats so much, yeahhh).

In the Cowboys/Raiders game, I think more than anything there was a bit of a cumulative sense that the refs were favoring the Cowboys (some quite dubious calls there, OPI, DPI, you name it).

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
That's the only way Pittsburgh was gunna stop Gronk, if he just wasn't on the field.
Right on cue.

You should feel a little lucky with that one. The easy dropped INT would have ended the game. The brutal attempt to cover Gronk on the goalline, and decision to play one on one against him was brutal. The non-TD call was a tough one on James. Then the brutal attempt at the fake spike was brutal.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Big Ben is as big a diva as there is in the NFL. Hall of Fame QB but every bit the whining, “woe is me”, shirking responsibility for anything diva that any receiver or cornerback in the league is.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Not so sure the Jags will rest their starters. If they win this week a bye week would still be completely in play for them by either a Pats or PIT loss, not overly likely, but I don't think you assume and just give up.

It depends what time slot it gets. Though if the division is clinched I don't think it gets flexed to primetime. As long as it is simultaneous with the NE and PIT games they've got to play for the bye.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Anyone who watches a lot of football knows that the call in Steelers/Patriots was correct. It wasn't even a particularly close call as these go. If it had been the other way around and the refs had given the TD but for the Pats the same people who complain now would have screamed it was fixed, too. (Because the NFL loves the Pats so much, yeahhh).

In the Cowboys/Raiders game, I think more than anything there was a bit of a cumulative sense that the refs were favoring the Cowboys (some quite dubious calls there, OPI, DPI, you name it).

As the rule stands now, yes it was absolutely correct. That said, they absolutely MUST re-look at what is and is not a catch this off-season.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Well, after what happened last Monday Night, how much a shot you gonna give the Bucs to pull a Florida upset?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad