NCAA: Week 14: Although the Pac-12 Have Come / to the End of the Road / Still I Can't Let Go / It's Unnatural / SEC Belongs on CBS / Who Belongs in CFP?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
His Dad is a huge issue

Is it money, playing time or both?

A common issue with a lot of these kids. The joke on some of our forums whenever UM would get an early commitment from a kid (especially from the south) was "Just wait until the uncle becomes involved in the recruitment"

I really don't know what McCord's dad could be thinking at this point though. I won't go as far as saying what Zach Smith said today "He will end up at Akron", but I also don't see a huge NIL competition for McCord, but apparently even not great QB's are still making money. He just seems like a kid who would fit in great at BC, Pitt, NC State or even Indiana, Minnesota, Rutgers. If dad expects more, or was angry that he wasn't guaranteed the starting spot on OSU next year he is delusional.

BTW, similar situation to Cade McNamara (as well as similar talents). Cade's dad was very vocal about his feelings that Cade was wronged by UM. But no way does UM win last year in Columbus with Cade, and probably not this years game either. Cade benefitted from an all-time great running game and one of the worst OSU defensive fronts I've ever seen.

I'm thinking OSU feels the same way about McCord and his lack of ceiling, and for most of these coaches, their necks are on the line in 2024. It's a tough world to tell that to a qb who went 11-1, but its a sign of the times.

Last edited:

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Is it money, playing time or both?

A common issue with a lot of these kids. The joke on some of our forums whenever UM would get an early commitment from a kid (especially from the south) was "Just wait until the uncle becomes involved in the recruitment"

I really don't know what McCord's dad could be thinking at this point though. I won't go as far as saying what Zach Smith said today "He will end up at Akron", but I also don't see a huge NIL competition for McCord, but apparently even not great QB's are still making money. He just seems like a kid who would fit in great at BC, Pitt, NC State or even Indiana, Minnesota, Rutgers. If dad expects more, or was angry that he wasn't guaranteed the starting spot on OSU next year he is delusional.

His Dad was essentially asking/forcing Day to guarantee that Kyle was going to be the starter next year and Day flat out told him no and there’s going to be a competition and that he’s going to look at the portal. There’s also some rumors floating around that his dad was one of the reasons that McCord somehow got playing time over Quinn Ewers during the 2021 season as well. Money never played a factor.

I’ll say this, if this happened while Urban was coach and parent did that, he’d probably be kicked off the team.

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1701742781527.png

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Not to try to change subjects but I would like to see a list of what the top 10 brands in CFB is? I highly doubt FSU is on there despite their success the last 3 decades. They're not that big a school, haven't been around as long as many and have lots of competition in its own state. My guess would be

1. Texas
2. Notre Dame
3. Alabama
4. Ohio state
5. Michigan
6. USC
7. Texas A&M
8. Georgia
9. LSU
10. Oklahoma
USC isn't a big brand anymore. They were able to swim in these waters when LA was without the NFL. Pretty obvious when you see these lists to have big brand value you have to be outside of an NFL market. You can be close, but being in your own town and stadium really matters. Otherwise you are always tussling for customer attention and luxury seat money. I saw it at UW during our glory years, lots of people were following the Huskies cause the Hawks were shit at the time. But no NFL team stays on the bottom forever and when that team is contending the college team suffers. And despite the expectations that NIL would benefit schools in big cities with all the rich alumni donors, it just hasn't worked out that way. Big fish in small pond wins.

Reactions: Voight

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
A bunch of them gonna be in the SEC (or Big Ten) before long. The ACC is gonna be put out to pasture after this.

Where are the ACC teams gonna go? Florida is a founding SEC member and isn't gonna want FSU in. South Carolina has been there for 30 years and they are the bigger school in the state so Clemson isn't bringing anything off the field in. Georgia tech already left once. The northern schools won't be wanted and they only need 1 team from North Carolina. So if they do take teams it's most likely North Carolina and Virginia.

I also think you need more than 2 power conferences otherwise the playoffs aren't going to mean anything if it's all rematches from earlier in the year. 4 power conferences for the 4 playoff spots made the most sense once the Pac 12 was torn apart. With expanded playoffs you don't need 4 anymore but 2 doesn't seem right either. College football just doesn't feel the same anymore.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Absolute sham that FSU didn't get in. Imagining telling an NFL team sorry you can't make the playoffs cause your QB is hurt and you probably won't win.

And if record/resume doesn't really matter and were really going "4 Best team" route then Georgia should be in as well.

They should have looked better against the Gators and Louisville and won more convincingly. If they did that, I don't see how they wouldn't have gotten in. Instead they largely looked like shit on offense and had to eek out victories. Texas curbstomped Ok State in Big12Champ game.

I know Ala needed a miracle to beat Auburn, but they proceeded to beat the #1 team en route to SEC Championsihp and looked pretty damn good in the process.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Absolute sham that FSU didn't get in. Imagining telling an NFL team sorry you can't make the playoffs cause your QB is hurt and you probably won't win.

And if record/resume doesn't really matter and were really going "4 Best team" route then Georgia should be in as well.

I wouldn't say it was a sham. FSU should have stayed at #5 after Travis was injured if the committee was serious about considering injuries in their rankings. Instead they rose to #4 after a so-so win over Florida with their backup who is expected to play in their bowl game.

I think they were hoping that Georgia would win and avoid having to play the "inured QB" card.

Reactions: LT

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Probably a dumb question (INSERT MANZIEL MONEY MEME) but why not just scratch the conferences altogether and establish a pro league-like geographical conferences of four (Southeast, North, Southwest, and West) made up of 24 teams. The four winners get a bye and the remaining eight are picked from the rankings (or two more from each conference but seeded based on rankings).

Each conference would be broken up into two divisions of 12 with a conference championship to determine one of the Top 4 spots. You could keep all of the traditional rivalries in place by having them in the same divisions.

Each season, the two bottom teams from each conference drop down into the Div. 2 level and two are brought up.

This may create some much needed parity.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Where are the ACC teams gonna go? Florida is a founding SEC member and isn't gonna want FSU in. South Carolina has been there for 30 years and they are the bigger school in the state so Clemson isn't bringing anything off the field in. Georgia tech already left once. The northern schools won't be wanted and they only need 1 team from North Carolina. So if they do take teams it's most likely North Carolina and Virginia.

I also think you need more than 2 power conferences otherwise the playoffs aren't going to mean anything if it's all rematches from earlier in the year. 4 power conferences for the 4 playoff spots made the most sense once the Pac 12 was torn apart. With expanded playoffs you don't need 4 anymore but 2 doesn't seem right either. College football just doesn't feel the same anymore.
The playoffs don’t mean more than the conferences. Florida doesn’t have the power to keep Florida State out if the SEC wants them, same for South Carolina and Clemson.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Got invited to the SEC before Texas?

Nothing to do with program prestige or brand value.

In fact, that is mostly because Texas and the SEC/ESPN had to come to an agreement on TV rights and Texas wanting to protect the money they rake in from The Longhorn Network

And a second slap to FSU.

So Jordan Travis is so good that he is the sole reason to keep an undefeated team out of the playoffs...but somehow isnt good enough to be a Heisman candidate? WTF?

Reactions: Tryamw and Voight

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Eh, the vote is over, not like a committee is picking the finalists, these are simply the 4 highest point getters in the vote.

And they got it right, these are the 4 best players.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Probably a dumb question (INSERT MANZIEL MONEY MEME) but why not just scratch the conferences altogether and establish a pro league-like geographical conferences of four (Southeast, North, Southwest, and West) made up of 24 teams. The four winners get a bye and the remaining eight are picked from the rankings (or two more from each conference but seeded based on rankings).

Each conference would be broken up into two divisions of 12 with a conference championship to determine one of the Top 4 spots. You could keep all of the traditional rivalries in place by having them in the same divisions.

Each season, the two bottom teams from each conference drop down into the Div. 2 level and two are brought up.

There is a lot of inertia to the conference system, and it takes a lot of time and money to change all of that.

The SEC and Big10 both want to end up as THE conference that becomes what you described. Good luck convincing one or the other to give that up.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
There is a lot of inertia to the conference system, and it takes a lot of time and money to change all of that.

The SEC and Big10 both want to end up as THE conference that becomes what you described. Good luck convincing one or the other to give that up.

They'll remain THE TWO conferences because of their media backing.

Reactions: Tryamw and LT

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Still wild to me FSU is not in the playoffs with their incredible resume. They did everything right. Didn't lose a game. Dominated the final two games of the season. Had a more yards and allowed less yards in their conference championship game than UofM. Just wild.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Because of TV money.

The SEC/Big10 both rake in huge TV money for their programs. If you do away with conferences, that big TV money gets spread across all FBS programs instead. Something the "haves" wont ever go for

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Still wild to me FSU is not in the playoffs with their incredible resume. They did everything right. Didn't lose a game. Dominated the final two games of the season. Had a more yards and allowed less yards in their conference championship game than UofM. Just wild.
Their biggest sin was not playing North Alabama earlier so they could've hurt Jordan Travis then.

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019

The PAC-12 doesn’t exist anymore literally only because a “west conference” doesn’t get any ratings with all their games on at 10:30pm EST. You’re describing what conferences used to look like except it was southeast, east, midwest, Texas and surrounding area, and then the west.

That doesn’t exist anymore because the sec decided they were going to rig votes so that they always had somebody in and ideally only them. That problem persists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad