7 Ohio State
8 Ole Miss
9 Baylor
10 Oregon

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They are on the cusp.

If 3 of the 4 teams ahead of them lose, they are in.

I don’t think Baylor can get there having dropped a spot.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
They are on the cusp.

If 3 of the 4 teams ahead of them lose, they are in.

I don’t think Baylor can get there having dropped a spot.

It depends on how much you want to punish any of Bama, Cincy and UM for having to play another game. I think it is reasonable to ask why should ND be rewarded for not putting themselves at risk of missing the CFP playoffs by playing in a conference championship?

I think they are positioned to jump over OSU and Cincy if they lose but that's it. One of the likely scenarios is UM winning, Bama losing, Cincy winning and OSU losing then it comes down to Bama vs. ND for #4. ND may get in to avoid Ga. having to play Bama again.

If Cincy loses, and Bama plays OK vs. Ga. but still loses, then it can be justified to keep them at #3 to set up a UM/Bama SF and a Ga./ND.

If UM loses, I think they are still in, unless they completely crap the bed, with OSU and Cincy wins and a clear Bama loss.

A lot depends on how big Bama loses to Ga.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
It's funny how much we are all entertained by thinking of all the permutations.

I bet the CFP committee gets drunk and uses a dart board or something.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not sure why everyone wants to give Alabama a pass if they lose close to Georgia, did we forget they list to a 4 loss A&M? Their wins are ok nothing that special, SEC very mediocre this season. Notre Dame resume isn't great either but their loss is much better, to a top 3 Cincinnati. The best outcome is the top 4 wins out as they are the 4 best and most deserving to me. Oklahoma state probably jumps Cincinnati to set up that rematch.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Not sure why everyone wants to give Alabama a pass if they lose close to Georgia, did we forget they list to a 4 loss A&M? Their wins are ok nothing that special, SEC very mediocre this season. Notre Dame resume isn't great either but their loss is much better, to a top 3 Cincinnati. The best outcome is the top 4 wins out as they are the 4 best and most deserving to me. Oklahoma state probably jumps Cincinnati to set up that rematch.

No one here "wants" to give Alabama a pass. It's just that we all know that if push comes to shove Alabama is the only 2-loss team that could realistically get a pass. Whether they deserve it or not is to be debated; I don't think any 2-loss team with no conference championship belongs within a mile of the CFP but I'm not making the decisions.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No one here "wants" to give Alabama a pass. It's just that we all know that if push comes to shove Alabama is the only 2-loss team that could realistically get a pass. Whether they deserve it or not is to be debated; I don't think any 2-loss team with no conference championship belongs within a mile of the CFP but I'm not making the decisions.

Not a buckeye fan but I like their resume better. If Oregon wins the Pac 12 the loses would be Big 10 and Pac 12 champions with better wins.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Not a buckeye fan but I like their resume better. If Oregon wins the Pac 12 the loses would be Big 10 and Pac 12 champions with better wins.

Oregon hasn't impressed me outside of the OSU game, but I live in the Eastern Time Zone and have a young kid so no f***ing way am I watching much Pac-12 anymore. The Stanford loss is arguably the worst loss of any team and Utah freaking crushed them. If Baylor beats OkSt I think they have a better resume than Oregon.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Oregon is a case where Ohio State would shitkick them if they played again, and there’s a good chance they will (and they’re scheduled for the return game too). That said, when it comes to the rankings, they did play and Oregon did win (on the road) and that should account for something. And it did for a while.

I also remember when Virginia Tech beat Ohio State in Columbus and when it came time, the committee just pretended it never happened.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Even if Cincy loses IDK how you put in ND, who they beat, in over them, but I'm sure they would.
They’ll say that that game was too early in the season and convince themselves a hypothetical neutral site game the next week would go differently since Notre Dame blew out all the teams they should have since.

Last edited:

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
if oregon wins the pac 12 title game they better go above osu.. i dont care about this if they played now crap.. fact is oregon beat em on osu field... if both 2 losses and oregon is a conference champion they Better be above them or this cfb rankings is just rigged

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad