Alabama

Five teams that are win are they are in:

UM
Georgia
Washington
FSU
Alabama

UM is very unlikely to lose so:

Oregon needs a loss by FSU or maybe Georgia (they may get in regardless with a close loss)

Texas needs a loss by FSU and Oregon

OSU needs a loss by FSU, Alabama and Texas (not sure they get in over Georgia)
Texas just needs a loss by Florida State. a non conf winning Washington or Oregon and Ohio State aren't getting in over Texas. Even if Ohio State is ranked above Texas this week, which they probably will be. They don't play next weekend.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Texas just needs a loss by Florida State. a non conf winning Washington or Oregon and Ohio State aren't getting in over Texas. Even if Ohio State is ranked above Texas this week, which they probably will be. They don't play next weekend.

Yeah, probably. They probably want reps from four conferences vs. two from the same conference even if very justifiable.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
You think they want to put FSU with a back up QB in against Georgia?
Of course not, I made that clear in a previous post. Look, I get you're a Texas fan and you want FSU to lose (rightfully so) but it's probably less work for the committee if they win unless I'm missing something.

Alabama winning would create true chaos though.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Of course not, I made that clear in a previous post. Look, I get you're a Texas fan and you want FSU to lose (rightfully so) but it's probably less work for the committee if they win unless I'm missing something.

Alabama winning would create true chaos though.
I was just stating the committee doesn't want to be forced to put in FSU with a back up QB with Georgia. That's all. So they'd want FSU to lose, so it makes that decision a lot easier to do. They don;t have to worry about being forced to put in an undefeated and deserving FSU, if they lose.

They would probably rather the decision of choosing between other 1 loss teams, then having their hand forced with FSU.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Committee once put Ohio State in - with their 3rd QB - under the pretense that losing to a 6-6 Virginia Tech at home didn’t actually happen. And that was the first year and then they won it.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Even if Bama somehow beat Georgia, that wouldn't be enough on it's own, would it?

they'd still need FSU and probably Texas to lose as well.

FSU has easiest path, win and pretty much in
Texas needs to win and fsu to lose

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Even if Bama somehow beat Georgia, that wouldn't be enough on it's own, would it?

Alabama winning...creates a colossal clusterf***. That's what it does

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I was just stating the committee doesn't want to be forced to put in FSU with a back up QB with Georgia. That's all. So they'd want FSU to lose, so it makes that decision a lot easier to do. They don;t have to worry about being forced to put in an undefeated and deserving FSU, if they lose.

They would probably rather the decision of choosing between other 1 loss teams, then having their hand forced with FSU.
This is fair, I see what you're saying now.

Generally, I go into each season hoping for the following as very ambitious goals:
1) Beat UF
2) Beat The U
3 Beat UF again
4) Beat Clemson
5) Beat UF a third time
6) Win the ACC

Never in a million years did I expect to be in this position with this team. In the 90's, I'll be honest, I 100% expected to compete for the National Championship every single year, but this team, in this top-heavy NIL era? After our recent past? This year is a breath of fresh air even if we lose to Louisville. We've already far surpassed expectations and we knocked the Gators out of a bowl last night which by itself almost makes this year worth it.

A win against Louisville and I genuinely don't even care if we get TCU'ed. Both of my favorite football teams suffered catastrophic QB injuries less than 2 weeks apart, I'll take what I can get. Hard to complain about an undefeated regular season with a team that will never be confused with the 2013 team (to say nothing of the 99 team, the best one we've ever had.)

EDIT: I don't know if I've told anyone yet but I don't like the University of Florida's football team?

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Rankings prediction

UM
Georgia
Washington
FSU
Oregon
OSU
Texas
Alabama

Five teams that are win are they are in:

UM
Georgia
Washington
FSU
Alabama

UM is very unlikely to lose so:

Oregon needs a loss by FSU or maybe Georgia (they may get in regardless with a close loss)

Texas needs a loss by FSU and Oregon

OSU needs a loss by FSU, Alabama and Texas (not sure they get in over Georgia)
Oregon doesn't need a loss by FSU. All they need is a win and possibly a Georgia win over Bama. Ohio St. should not get in over any 12-1 major conference champion.

Reactions: LT

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
The winner of the Pac12CG is guaranteed a playoff berth right?
If Washington, yes. If Oregon, yes unless Bama beats Georgia in a very close game. If FSU also wins, you'd have 2 13-0 teams, and then a 12-1 SEC champ in Bama, a 12-1 Pac 12 champ in Oregon but also a 12-1 UGA. While Oregon should get in in that scenario, I'd be pretty nervous as a Ducks fan.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

If Bama somehow beats Georgia, it seems very unlikely that the committee would keep the SEC champs out. Despite the loss to Texas, a win over Georgja likely jumps them over them. That one result is the only one that could cause a lot of chaos(depending on the results of a couple of other games).

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
The scenarios I see, by conference:
SEC
UGA-lock with win, possibly in with a loss(for sure if Washington wins and OK. St wins, but they may get in over a 12-1 Texas anyway)

Bama-likely in with a win, out with a loss

Pac 12
Washington-in with a win, possibly in with a close loss(would then need losses by Bama, Texas and FSU to have a chance)

Oregon-likely in with a win(unless Bama beats UGA perhaps), out with a loss

ACC
FSU-lock with a win, likely out with a loss(if they lose and Texas. Oregon and Bama lose, they'd be up against Ohio St for the last spot. While they probabaly lose out, they'd have a chance)

Big 12
Texas-win and FSU loses, they likely get in, any other scenario they are likely out

Big 10
Michigan-lock with a win, and likely in with a loss as well(possible.they could get knocked out if Bama beat UGA, Oregon beat Washington, Texas wins and the committee valued conf titles as the main tiebreaker, but doubtful).

Ohio St.-only scenario where they should have any chance is if UGA, Oklahoma St., Washington, and Louisville all win. Then you'd have the #4 spot between 11-1 OSU and 12-1 FSU, where Ohio St. could get in.

Reactions: LT and MM917

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
If Washington, yes. If Oregon, yes unless Bama beats Georgia in a very close game. If FSU also wins, you'd have 2 13-0 teams, and then a 12-1 SEC champ in Bama, a 12-1 Pac 12 champ in Oregon but also a 12-1 UGA. While Oregon should get in in that scenario, I'd be pretty nervous as a Ducks fan.

While I think you are right keeping a 12-1 Oregon out with its only loss being a close road game at a top 10 team in which they arguably were the better team over a fellow 1 loss team non-Conference Champ and a undefeated but team with a massive injury and butter soft schedule would be brutal.

It would show that it has nothing to do with getting the best teams in the play-off and just satisfying the conferences, which, along with making the most money, it likely is really about.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
While I think you are right keeping a 12-1 Oregon out with its only loss being a close road game at a top 10 team in which they arguably were the better team over a fellow 1 loss team non-Conference Champ and a undefeated but team with a massive injury and butter soft schedule would be brutal.

It would show that it has nothing to do with getting the best teams in the play-off and just satisfying the conferences, which, along with making the most money, it likely is really about.
Yeah, and while the committee has always said it's about putting the "best" 4 teams in, and while I agree that FSU would be unlikely to beat any of the other top 4 or 5 teams without Travis, I don't see how you leave out a 13-0 power 5 conference champion over an X-1 team(even if that power conference wasn't great this year).

Reactions: DaveG, MM917 and LT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad