NCAA GDT: Week 11: Super Saturday

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Arkansas has fired head football coach Chad Morris

Chad Morris Fired After 22 Games As Arkansas Coach

It used to be college coaches would get fired after the season ended, not so much the case anymore. It seems like a dick move although there are exceptions like McElwain and Petrino. I guess though when you know the coach has to go, maybe it's best for both parties to depart early on.

I get they are not very good but Arkansas is such a tough job to begin with. The talent pool in the state isn't plentiful and those kids are just as likely to go elsewhere as they are to Fayetteville. On top of that you have to play LSU, Alabama, and Auburn every year, and also Texas A&M who has had the Razorbacks number for the last 8 years now, not to mention occasionally Georgia and Florida too.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes

If they are the best team of those 3 they should be in the play-off. I thought that was the point of the play-off to have the best teams playing not just teams with cupcake schedules or lesser teams with conference "titles."
But, this year, Alabama has yet to beat a ranked opponent, as their conference opponents to date are not ranked, at least anymore. And based on their final 3 opponents, Auburn is likely to be the only one. Their non-conference schedule has been Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Miss, and still have Western Carolina on the schedule. Duke is the only power 5 conference opponent they played.

Oklahoma lost to K-State, and barely escaped against Iowa State. So, that is going to hurt them.

Oregon/Utah both need to win out to finish with 1 Loss. See how many ranked opponents they beat.

It gets really tough for Alabama to get in if say Georgia beats LSU in the title, which would leave LSU with 1 Loss, but they beat Alabama on the road.

So, the committee would then take Clemson, Ohio State (assuming both win their conference), Georgia, and likely it's between LSU and the Pac 12 winner.

Alabama right now, I would say needs LSU to run the table so that Georgia is a 2 loss team. And hope that their name brand recognition and traveling fanbase can woo the committee to take them over Oregon/Utah/Okahoma.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
But, this year, Alabama has yet to beat a ranked opponent, as their conference opponents to date are not ranked, at least anymore. And based on their final 3 opponents, Auburn is likely to be the only one. Their non-conference schedule has been Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Miss, and still have Western Carolina on the schedule. Duke is the only power 5 conference opponent they played.

Oklahoma lost to K-State, and barely escaped against Iowa State. So, that is going to hurt them.

Oregon/Utah both need to win out to finish with 1 Loss. See how many ranked opponents they beat.

It gets really tough for Alabama to get in if say Georgia beats LSU in the title, which would leave LSU with 1 Loss, but they beat Alabama on the road.

So, the committee would then take Clemson, Ohio State (assuming both win their conference), Georgia, and likely it's between LSU and the Pac 12 winner.

Alabama right now, I would say needs LSU to run the table so that Georgia is a 2 loss team. And hope that their name brand recognition and traveling fanbase can woo the committee to take them over Oregon/Utah/Okahoma.

I think this year they easily could miss out and it would be justified. I usually stick up for the Pac 12 teams as I think they tend to get screwed more than any other conference but this year I think both the 1 loss teams are definitely worse than Alabama.

I think Oklahoma, Alabama and a theoretical 1-loss LSU team would all be very close (yes I know LSU won last night but it was very close with Tua injured not sure the same outcome happens if they play again). In that case LSU would get a spot no matter what. I think that Clemson, OSU and LSU will all be undefeated so it will come down to Alabama and Oklahoma. For me I would give it to Oklahoma but wouldn't think it is crazy to pick Alabama. Going with a different 1 loss team, even if they won the Pac-12, would be wrong in my books. Hell even if Baylor wins out and flukes out a Big 12 title I would take Alabama over them although I know the committee wouldn't.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think this year they easily could miss out and it would be justified. I usually stick up for the Pac 12 teams as I think they tend to get screwed more than any other conference but this year I think both the 1 loss teams are definitely worse than Alabama.

I think Oklahoma, Alabama and a theoretical 1-loss LSU team would all be very close (yes I know LSU won last night but it was very close with Tua injured not sure the same outcome happens if they play again). In that case LSU would get a spot no matter what. I think that Clemson, OSU and LSU will all be undefeated so it will come down to Alabama and Oklahoma. For me I would give it to Oklahoma but wouldn't think it is crazy to pick Alabama. Going with a different 1 loss team, even if they won the Pac-12, would be wrong in my books. Hell even if Baylor wins out and flukes out a Big 12 title I would take Alabama over them although I know the committee wouldn't.
Schedules are setup over a year in advance, so you never know the quality of your conference opponents year in and year out. But, for your non conference, that's 3 non power 5 teams and Duke, which is pretty much never consistently ranked in the top 25. One thing to pick say Florida State/USC and they have a down year, that's just bad luck.

But, Bama, basically gave themselves no margin for error this year. 1 Loss would not kill them, but they needed to get to the title game. Winning the SEC with 1 loss or losing in the SEC final to say Georgia would have gotten them in IMO.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

Georgia is going to lose to Auburn anyway in all likelihood this coming weekend so that factor likely won’t matter.

member 157595

What a beautiful, fantastic weekend of college football this was.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Alabama loses drops all of 2 spots...I'll stand by my prior comment even if Alabama loses to Auburn some talking head will try to put them in the playoffs over 1 loss conference champs

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It used to be college coaches would get fired after the season ended, not so much the case anymore. It seems like a dick move although there are exceptions like McElwain and Petrino. I guess though when you know the coach has to go, maybe it's best for both parties to depart early on.

I get they are not very good but Arkansas is such a tough job to begin with. The talent pool in the state isn't plentiful and those kids are just as likely to go elsewhere as they are to Fayetteville. On top of that you have to play LSU, Alabama, and Auburn every year, and also Texas A&M who has had the Razorbacks number for the last 8 years now, not to mention occasionally Georgia and Florida too.

They knew they were moving on, so just let it go so that it's not hanging over the heads of the other recruiters and let him get started to find his next landing spot.

Reactions: HisIceness

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Penn State has a better loss/better win combination than every other 1 loss team, basically.

But it’s whatever - they put themselves in this position. The defense really let me down. That said, lol @ that dude saying they could lose to Indiana. Don’t get too far ahead of yourself, that one is at PSU. Talk big about OSU blowing them out and OK whatever, fair enough given how good they’d look and it’s in Columbus.

But we’ll see about that.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Penn State has a better loss/better win combination than every other 1 loss team, basically.

But it’s whatever - they put themselves in this position. The defense really let me down. That said, lol @ that dude saying they could lose to Indiana. Don’t get too far ahead of yourself, that one is at PSU. Talk big about OSU blowing them out and OK whatever, fair enough given how good they’d look and it’s in Columbus.

Problem is it just happened. And recency bias is a thing (except for Alabama.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Chase Young will miss the Rutgers game this coming weekend but will be back on the field starting with the Penn State game per Yahoo Sports.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

If the same Penn State defense shows up that we say at Minnesota, the game will be over by halftime.

I know the Penn State defense is highly touted, but I didn't realize they played such horrible offenses before the Minnesota game. The best scoring offense they faced all season before Minnesota was Michigan (who ranks 50th in the NCAA in PPG).

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Illinois bowl eligible!!! What a time to be alive!!

Actually rooting for Michigan State to still get to 6 wins, though, so they can hopefully take the Quick Lane Bowl slot. I'm not going to complain about any bowl game, but I think that one would be on the bottom of the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad