NFL: Week 11 - Part 2

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Hilariously bad officiating all over the place last night.

Honestly think the Bills might have won with a different QB. Taylor was awful all night and missed some easy throws and some big plays.

Brady can't keep taking that kind of punishment every night.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Buddy of mine floated the theory that they drag the Monday games on as long as possible because it's still primetime on the West Coast. Makes some sense if you consider some of the stoppages last night and what they were for.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
For the people complaining/wondering why the Bills didn't get a chance to sub on the James White touchdown.

Per ESPN:
"Many fans wondered whether Steratore's crew should have prevented the snap until the Bills had adequate time to sub out their personnel. NFL Rule 5, Section 3, Article 10 requires the umpire to stand over the ball to give the defense "reasonable" time to match a personnel change or a simulated substitution by the offense.

The Patriots, however, didn't change personnel. ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss charted the same 11 players involved in the touchdown play as had been on the field for the previous 41-yard pass to Amendola, and that arrangement is clear based on video reviews of the two snaps.

One angle on the ESPN broadcast revealed that Patriots tight end Scott Chandler started running on the field as a sub, but then returned to the sideline. The rule book defines a substitution as one where the player crosses the numbers on the field, which Chandler did not do."

Pretty clear. If Chandler didn't cross the numbers, then it was the right call.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
the NFL has to do something about the officiating this year. its not even last night. just about every Sunday there is a game or 2 that has controversy and obvious bad calls. the primetime games have somehow been even worse.
what was that game last night almost 4 hours? wtf.
Of course Turico will probably be disciplined by the ESPN/NFL for that post game comment. even if he is right.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
the NFL has to do something about the officiating this year. its not even last night. just about every Sunday there is a game or 2 that has controversy and obvious bad calls. the primetime games have somehow been even worse.
what was that game last night almost 4 hours? wtf.
Of course Turico will probably be disciplined by the ESPN/NFL for that post game comment. even if he is right.

3 hours and 40 minutes, on a Monday night, starting at 830pm is just way too long. A lot of that was because the officials were just that bad. Just way too much nonsense going on.

The length of time to review is way too long too. For instance, that McCoy TD last night took 4 minutes real time to confirm from when it was initially ruled a TD, to confirmation. That's absurd.

What did Turico say?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
3 hours and 40 minutes, on a Monday night, starting at 830pm is just way too long. A lot of that was because the officials were just that bad. Just way too much nonsense going on.

The length of time to review is way too long too. For instance, that McCoy TD last night took 4 minutes real time to confirm from when it was initially ruled a TD, to confirmation. That's absurd.

What did Turico say?

https://vine.co/v/izHqHHYgrga

not sure if there was more than that after the commercial break, but that was caught right before the commercial break after the game was over

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Honestly think the Bills might have won with a different QB. Taylor was awful all night and missed some easy throws and some big plays.

Certainly not with Manuel.

It is funny as hell though. Brady gets punished all game long and the one time really before the late game fumble that Taylor got "hit" he goes down awkwardly and hurts his shoulder.

ComrieFanatic

Dec 27, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

Feels like NE has 1-2 of these really-bad-O-line games every season. Last year, the KC and Miami games stood out as bad. It seems like they have the ability to fix things up in a hurry, but they're playing with fire letting their 38yo QB take that many hard hits.

I'd be surprised if they beat Denver next week. Denver's offense will make more plays than Buffalo and the defense is just as good (if not better). At this point, NE need to get healthy and ready for the playoffs. Going undefeated should be the last thing they worry about over the next few weeks.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
For the people complaining/wondering why the Bills didn't get a chance to sub on the James White touchdown.

Per ESPN:
"Many fans wondered whether Steratore's crew should have prevented the snap until the Bills had adequate time to sub out their personnel. NFL Rule 5, Section 3, Article 10 requires the umpire to stand over the ball to give the defense "reasonable" time to match a personnel change or a simulated substitution by the offense.

The Patriots, however, didn't change personnel. ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss charted the same 11 players involved in the touchdown play as had been on the field for the previous 41-yard pass to Amendola, and that arrangement is clear based on video reviews of the two snaps.

One angle on the ESPN broadcast revealed that Patriots tight end Scott Chandler started running on the field as a sub, but then returned to the sideline. The rule book defines a substitution as one where the player crosses the numbers on the field, which Chandler did not do."

Pretty clear. If Chandler didn't cross the numbers, then it was the right call.

I quoted the rule book last night. If Chandler is still on the field when the snap is imminent (and he was), then it is considered a "simulated substitution", and Buffalo should have been allowed time. Crossing the numbers would have meant Chandler would have been required to stay on the field for one play.

EDIT: Here's a Boston Globe article that sources someone from the NFL Referees Association with NFL experience explaining why the play should have never allowed to happen.
But the Patriots never should have been allowed to snap the ball, according to the source. A bird’s eye view of the play shows that Patriots tight end Scott Chandler began running onto the field from the sideline, but quickly reversed course and retreated back to the sideline.

The Bills countered by sending three new players on the field, while Jerry Hughes was looking over to the sideline for instructions and was very late getting back to the new line of scrimmage. When the Patriots snapped the football, the Bills were barely set, and Hughes was 15 yards in the backfield.

Even though the Patriots technically didn’t substitute, the officials should have stood over the ball and not allowed the Patriots to snap it until the Bills were given Bills ample time to get their substitutions into the game and set up their defense, per NFL rule 5.2.10, in which the NFL considers a “simulated” substitution like a normal substitution.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Feels like NE has 1-2 of these really-bad-O-line games every season. Last year, the KC and Miami games stood out as bad. It seems like they have the ability to fix things up in a hurry, but they're playing with fire letting their 38yo QB take that many hard hits.

I'd be surprised if they beat Denver next week. Denver's offense will make more plays than Buffalo and the defense is just as good (if not better). At this point, NE need to get healthy and ready for the playoffs. Going undefeated should be the last thing they worry about over the next few weeks.

I don't think so. They got 170 yards on the ground, 250 yards and no pick from their backup QB and still only put up 17 points. Their offense is **** and our D is much better than the Bears. If Collins is back, I would be surprised if the Broncos score more than 14 against the Pats. And even without Collins, 20 is a reach.

Depending on Amendola's health, I think the Pats have a good chance of putting 20 and that should be enough.

60/40 that the Pats win, IMO. Denver winning wouldn't be a surprise, but I still think the Pats are the favourite heading in.

ComrieFanatic

Dec 27, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I don't think so. They got 170 yards on the ground, 250 yards and no pick from their backup QB and still only put up 17 points. Their offense is **** and our D is much better than the Bears. If Collins is back, I would be surprised if the Broncos score more than 14 against the Pats. And even without Collins, 20 is a reach.

Depending on Amendola's health, I think the Pats have a good chance of putting 20 and that should be enough.

60/40 that the Pats win, IMO. Denver winning wouldn't be a surprise, but I still think the Pats are the favourite heading in.

We'll see. Taylor missed some wide open throws last night and they ignored Watkins all night. Thomas and Sanders are tough to defend and I think Brock is a better pocket passer than Taylor. Not to mention, the game is in Denver.

It'll be a close one, but if the Pats are down to LaFell and Harper as their WR, I'm not sure even TB12 can put up 20 points with them. They'll need to establish a run game, something they have struggled to do against teams with strong front-7's.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Key for the Pats is stopping the running game. If they do that and force Osweiller to throw, he's not beating them, even with Thomas and Sanders as his 1-2.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
We'll see. Taylor missed some wide open throws last night and they ignored Watkins all night. Thomas and Sanders are tough to defend and I think Brock is a better pocket passer than Taylor. Not to mention, the game is in Denver.

It'll be a close one, but if the Pats are down to LaFell and Harper as their WR, I'm not sure even TB12 can put up 20 points with them. They'll need to establish a run game, something they have struggled to do against teams with strong front-7's.

He sure did miss a few, that's true, but what makes you think that Osweiler would hit those? Especially in the cold in Denver.

It'll be a close one indeed, but if we lose it, it is not because the D blows it and will be because the O fails to put up 20.

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011

Agreed about going undefeated but wining this game will all but sow up the #1 seed. Gotta go all out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad