Confirmed with Link: Weegar signs 8 year extension (6.25 million per)

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Yeah this was always going to get done based on Weegar's comments. Good on Treliving for getting it over the line before the season started.

I still can't believe what Zito was thinking. He could have dealt Weegar and Huberdeau in separate deals

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah this was always going to get based on Weegar's comments. Good on Treliving for getting it over the line before the season started.

I still can't believe what Zito was thinking. He could have dealt Weegar and Huberdeau in separate deals
He needed them both to land the generational unicorn

• Haha
Reactions: DirtDiver and Mitts

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So... probably about $6.5m AAV?

BTW, closing in doesn't mean signed. The thread title is wrong.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I'm glad this is done, or very close to being done. I love seeing people commit to Calgary. And I'm thinking ahead about Lindholm's next contract. Wonder if we'll negotiate an extension next summer.
I don't know about you guys, but I'm so excited for Flames hockey..............but it's going to be a bit strange the first couple of games seeing all the new faces, and I'll be honest I am/was/still is/not quite sure how to describe my fandom for Johnny, and I'm still stunned he's gone. I know I have to get over it, but to not see him on the ice dangling will be a huge change. When he left I was on board for selling everyone, tanking for Bedard, and what Treliving has done to keep us competitive is mind blowing. I'm so excited, but I guess it won't hit me until I see the first game.
I've seen my favorites come and go, and no bigger names than some of our Cup champs and of course Iggy. I'll get over Johnny and Chucky, but it will take a few games.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi my Flames friends,

What a great off season for you! Congratulations on signing both of these acquisitions and I’m looking forward to seeing the BoA continue to be intense, highly skilled & nasty
DAD2F033-4D7F-4599-92A3-4D6B18C72E89.gif

Cheers

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
On a side note, we now have 5 defenseman who were in the top 40 for even strength scoring last year, with Weegar at 11, Hanifin at 20, Anderson at 33, Kylington at 38 and Tanev at 40. That is an unreal stat, really easy to see what the identity of this team is. I don’t think our team is going to be scoring much less than last year.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Super fun cap update no one cares about:

With this signing the Flames have $3,225,000 left in cap space on a projected 83.5M cap for 2023/2024 with 18 players signed

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli
Mangiapane-Kadri-Dube
Rooney-Backlund-Coleman
XXX-Ruzicka-XXX
XXX-XXX

Kylington-Tanev
Hanifin-Andersson
Zadorov-Weegar
Gilbert

Markstrom
XXX

Coldest of takes: Giving out 2 year deals to Rooney and Zadorov were a mistake

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Super fun cap update no one cares about:

With this signing the Flames have $3,225,000 left in cap space on a projected 83.5M cap for 2023/2024 with 18 players signed

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli
Mangiapane-Kadri-Dube
Rooney-Backlund-Coleman
XXX-Ruzicka-XXX
XXX-XXX

Kylington-Tanev
Hanifin-Andersson
Zadorov-Weegar
Gilbert

Markstrom
XXX

Coldest of takes: Giving out 2 year deals to Rooney and Zadorov were a mistake

I could see someone like Zadorov and Toffoli being cap casualties if the roster needs upgrading next season.

We will have good young contracts to also fill holes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad