Speculation: Weegar (and his agent) disappointed with contract negotiations

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
No idea why we are playing hard ball with Weegar...
Weegar prob wants a big contract. Zito may want more cap flexibility to put his mark on the team especially with how much is already invested in the defense. It's pretty clear too that not a lot of big contracts are happening right now. Hall had a take a one year deal in Buffalo. Hoffman still unsigned. Market is tricky right now for free agents.

Reactions: Cold Cat

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Weegar prob wants a big contract. Zito may want more cap flexibility to put his mark on the team especially with how much is already invested in the defense. It's pretty clear too that not a lot of big contracts are happening right now. Hall had a take a one year deal in Buffalo. Hoffman still unsigned. Market is tricky right now for free agents.
Sure: it just seems a bit absurd here. Maybe Weeg’s ask is too big for the market but our team is much worse today if we have Nuti as our 2D

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Weegar will get an arbitration deal. We'll still have him.
Eh the most recent news isn’t so promising and it won’t be great only having him one more year...we’d have Stralman and Yandle in 21-22 but potentially not Weegs :(

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
No idea why we are playing hard ball with Weegar...

They must have medical info that makes them wary of committing long term at that kind of number(3.5). It just sucks though because we're gonna lose this trade. The best case scenario is they go to arbitration and he's awarded a 2 year deal, Weegar stays healthy will no concussions, and the two sides hammer out an extension in the meantime.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Eh the most recent news isn’t so promising and it won’t be great only having him one more year...we’d have Stralman and Yandle in 21-22 but potentially not Weegs :(

There's no way Zito wouldn't upgrade the blueline if we lost Weegs. If we lose him.we just bring someone else in.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
There's no way Zito wouldn't upgrade the blueline if we lost Weegs. If we lose him.we just bring someone else in.
Who? I agree a few weeks ago but now only Vatanen is left as feasible UFA options unless we have say a trade for McD lined up

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
I never like it when a team treats a player they drafted and developed like chopped liver. Everyone wants to pinch pennies but how bout showing some love and fiscal rewards for a player that stands out above the rest that YOU picked? Pay the man, he's a good and could be a great player.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I gotta think Weegs/his agent are pricing themselves too high. Isn’t this the third year now that he hasn’t been a smooth signing?

-ghoste

Reactions: Cold Cat

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Gotchya: maybe but I’d almost prefer to lock in now. I’m guessing Zito is pushing for 2-3 years not terribly high which is the problem

Of course but there's something Zito knows that is making him wary of doing that. Or maybe he just isn't that high on him. Although he did say he liked what he saw from him in the bubble. Idk. Hopefully nobody trades for him and it ends well eventually.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It could be that. If he's asking for like 4+ longterm I don't blame Zito for playing hardball.

2018 NHL Arbitration Tracker: 40 of 44 cases settled before hearings - Sportsnet.ca

They say only 3-4 players go through the full arbitration process anyhow.

This article below discusses what evidence either side can argue.

Inside NHL Salary Arbitration And The 40 Players Who Have Filed

b. The number of games played by the player, and his injuries or illnesses during the preceding seasons;

This one stuck out right away for me.

Still think he comes away with a 2-3 year deal around $3.25 to 3.5 mil per.

Reactions: pantherbot

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Weegar “disappointed” with contract negotiations — The Fourth Period

Tippett+Weegar+1st for Laine. One can dream, lol. Probably still not enough.
After reading that article, I am 90% sure that Weegs will sign with the Panthers. Sounds like the guy likes Florida, why leave?
I would think any agent would say things to pump up your player going into arbitration. Those were pretty vag comments.
I would also think Z could potentially be floating Weegs name to YWG, as a tactic for him to sign with Florida for a good deal. Nothing like a young player hearing,

"If you play hardball, I'll trade your ass to Winnipeg." :brrr:
I'd accept the next deal they put in front of me. :laugh:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
2018 NHL Arbitration Tracker: 40 of 44 cases settled before hearings - Sportsnet.ca

b. The number of games played by the player, and his injuries or illnesses during the preceding seasons;

The max contract from arbitration is 2 years; I guess you’re talking about settling?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The max contract from arbitration is 2 years; I guess you’re talking about settling?

No, think it will be settled before the hearing date.

Just think 2 years sets up him perfectly for when the cap goes up again, he'd be 28, right around the age most free agents hit the market.

3 years if he wants some more security.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
No, think it will be settled before the hearing date.

Just think 2 years sets up him perfectly for when the cap goes up again, he'd be 28, right around the age most free agents hit the market.

3 years if he wants some more security.
I hope it goes the way that you describe but I’m not sure sadly: I

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I hope it goes the way that you describe but I’m not sure sadly: I

Why give up the chance to play top pair with Ekblad, improving your monetary value for next 2 years while getting a decent raise?

If he goes to a contender/playoff team in a trade, he will likely limit his minutes/production as he will not be the 2nd best D on most of those teams.

They're both playing hardball, I respect both sides of it.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Why give up the chance to play top pair with Ekblad, improving your monetary value for next 2 years while getting a decent raise?

If he goes to a contender/playoff team in a trade, he will likely limit his minutes/production as he will not be the 2nd best D on most of those teams.

They're both playing hardball, I respect both sides of it.
One of the issues with Zito from Columbus is that he hurt players’ pride. I fear that Weegar has existing animus and feels undervalued so this is less about reason

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Hopefully he does. That would be the best possible outcome.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
One of the issues with Zito from Columbus is that he hurt players’ pride. I fear that Weegar has existing animus and feels undervalued so this is less about reason

I'd assume RyJo was one of them, that bridge contract.

Zito has been on both sides of the table, he seems like a decent negotiatior
Weegar has filed every year of arbitration, as is his right to do so.

They still have almost 3 weeks to circle back and hash things out. Maybe we need a hard ass GM to lay down the law a bit? In a respectful but fair way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad