GDT: Wednesday match-up Hawks @ Avs 8:00 PM 26/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nothingman*

McLeod is a bum

Why even have him on the ice with 6 seconds left against the Kruger line?! Just looking for trouble.

Shaw looked good as did Versteeg. I still wonder if they had a quicker/craftier C how much better they would be (TT).

Nothingman*

Refs....refs.....refs......Holden.......refs......

That is a typical Avs post.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well both teams had lots of grade A chances 5x5...the diff was they plain missed the net too much and we got stymied by another wall in net for them..So hardly were they better 5x5..if we coulda converted our copious chances instead.of having their gale stop our shots or if we had not hit the post. ..well we might have scored 4-5 more just on 5x5...so I do not think Roy is correct in saying they were the better team 5x5..BTW...we seem to always out-shoot and out-chance these rope-a-dopes but always the run gale equalize walls against us..the they wait for transition opportunities or a break-down in our defending our zone..I think we won the shots scoring chances and Corsi/Fenwick. .so Roy is out to lunch..But while I will take the banking of these points,it is frustrating playing them because we should be winning these games by wider margins..but even when Hossa gets what. ..9 -10 shots on them,this year his shooting% is way off his lifetime average..So he can't seem ti score on his shot as he once did..And Saad nly 3 goals for the year...way below expectation too.Bickell too..but at least he got the GWG tonight. ..So again...as so often this season,our team shooting% given the #of shots and qualify chances we generate IS our huge problem..It cannot be just bad luck to face too many goalies who are hot so often..it has to also be at least partly poor finishing/shot inefficiency on our part..Look. ..in prior years Hossa faced hot goals lots of times..but in the long wash his career shooting is over 11%...but this year it is below half that..And others too are below their career to date shooting efficiency by a significant amount..So hot gale...partly but also our poor finishing is a persistent problem except on the occasional laughed game..

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Lol not for Shaw

Ugh. Complaining about the refs is so low.

Idk Shaw may not win, but he's already proven he can handle bigger players that can fight. Plus he's not really afraid of anyone, and Iginla has lost before to smaller players.

I think it would be an awesome fight.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Lol at first I thought Shaw and Iginla were having a friendly conversation. I thought "Oh wow, that's kinda cool. Iggy chatting it up with Shaw and Kane".

Roussel is a bum and a goon. Iginla is neither of those, i'd think he'd take the kid to school pretty quickly

CoachQ

Aug 23, 2014
Tinley Park, IL.
Sorry Roy, when Andrew Shaw dominates your team in the faceoff circle you were not the better 5 on 5 team.

Big win for the boys last night. This game to me was the swing game. It's not going to be easy in LA so being assured of a .500 trip was key. If they can take two or three of the four points available it will be a successful trip in my mind.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah, Hawks got away with a couple penalties, but so did the Av's. Just because they were the more penalized team doesn't mean they didn't get away with calls either. Seems every game the other team gets too many penalties called against, maybe it's because the Hawks make hem commit penalties far more often then hey commit penalties themselves? Or maybe the league wants Chicago to win all the time! Conspiracy!

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
We controlled play most of the game 5 on 5 except for a few stretches, their goalie was standing on his head. I respect Roy and his intensity, he is just frustrated his team is sucking eggs a year after they were a very good team. Let him get frustrated, how many frustrating losses have we had this year?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Well both teams had lots of grade A chances 5x5...the diff was they plain missed the net too much and we got stymied by another wall in net for them..So hardly were they better 5x5..if we coulda converted our copious chances instead.of having their gale stop our shots or if we had not hit the post. ..well we might have scored 4-5 more just on 5x5...so I do not think Roy is correct in saying they were the better team 5x5..BTW...we seem to always out-shoot and out-chance these rope-a-dopes but always the run gale equalize walls against us..the they wait for transition opportunities or a break-down in our defending our zone..I think we won the shots scoring chances and Corsi/Fenwick. .so Roy is out to lunch..But while I will take the banking of these points,it is frustrating playing them because we should be winning these games by wider margins..but even when Hossa gets what. ..9 -10 shots on them,this year his shooting% is way off his lifetime average..So he can't seem ti score on his shot as he once did..And Saad nly 3 goals for the year...way below expectation too.Bickell too..but at least he got the GWG tonight. ..So again...as so often this season,our team shooting% given the #of shots and qualify chances we generate IS our huge problem..It cannot be just bad luck to face too many goalies who are hot so often..it has to also be at least partly poor finishing/shot inefficiency on our part..Look. ..in prior years Hossa faced hot goals lots of times..but in the long wash his career shooting is over 11%...but this year it is below half that..And others too are below their career to date shooting efficiency by a significant amount..So hot gale...partly but also our poor finishing is a persistent problem except on the occasional laughed game..

Thank-you for the summary. I will watch the last part of the game on PVR tonight, but I view this win as quite a big one (for this time of year). Hawks have some tough sledding ahead against contenders, and in past seasons have had all kinds of problems containing the speedy Avs. The game was closer than I'd like (again) but still an important win heading into Anaheim, followed by LA, then Blues at home... followed by a fairly tough schedule before Christmas.

Last edited:

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
We controlled play most of the game 5 on 5 except for a few stretches, their goalie was standing on his head. I respect Roy and his intensity, he is just frustrated his team is sucking eggs a year after they were a very good team. Let him get frustrated, how many frustrating losses have we had this year?

I personally don't think they were a very good team last year. They rode hot goaltending all year to division title and got exposed once they got to the playoffs. Yeah they looked good on paper but if you look a little deeper, they were a bottom-5 puck possession team last year that greatly overachieved as a result of great goaltending and a lot of puck luck. This year, they are still a bottom-5 puck possession team and getting exactly what they deserve in the standings -- last place in the best division in hockey.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I personally don't think they were a very good team last year. They rode hot goaltending all year to division title and got exposed once they got to the playoffs. Yeah they looked good on paper but if you look a little deeper, they were a bottom-5 puck possession team last year that greatly overachieved as a result of great goaltending and a lot of puck luck. This year, they are still a bottom-5 puck possession team and getting exactly what they deserve in the standings -- last place in the best division in hockey.

Wins and points last year made them a very good team no matter what puck possession stats may indicate. Maybe overachieving, but when you get 112 points (I think that's what they had) you are good.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
There is a reason a lot of people picked the Avs to digress this year. They were winning with unsustainable numbers across the board. There record was flattering compared to their play on the ice. We outplayed them in almost every single game by quite a bit, yet lost 4 of 5 because Varlamov stood on his head.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
That was a really fun game to watch last night. It was frustrating at times, but fun overall
I told my friend from Denver that the Avs would win 3-2 .... oops :laugh:

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
There is a reason a lot of people picked the Avs to digress this year. They were winning with unsustainable numbers across the board. There record was flattering compared to their play on the ice. We outplayed them in almost every single game by quite a bit, yet lost 4 of 5 because Varlamov stood on his head.

Yeah. Also Patrick Roy seems like the kind of coach that would get results right away, then slowly flame out. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad