Post-Game Talk: Wed. Nov. 23rd 2016 Flyers 2 at Lightning 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
As usual, I have to educate you on what the word "opinion" means.

You can't just say "the sun is cold IMO". If you're going to say it's just your opinion then state an opinion, not an incorrect statement. It is factually incorrect to say that the top 6 players are bad. You saying they are isn't an opinion, it's ignorance...

The Sun burns at an estimated 10,340F while Eta Carinae is estimated to burn near 72,000F...so yeah he could say The Sun is cold IMO because it can be relatively cold.

Choose better examples before you talk down to people.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
The Sun burns at an estimated 10,340F while Eta Carinae is estimated to burn near 72,000F...so yeah he could say The Sun is cold IMO because it can be relatively cold.

I'm pretty sure every single post that is made on this forum, unless explicitly noting otherwise, implicitly assumes we're referring to events within this stellar system. :laugh:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think hatcher's point, at least with regard to Giroux, shouldn't be so easily dismissed.

I mean, I'm certainly glad Giroux got off to a torrid start on the power play. But I am absolutely concerned with his overall level of play for a #1 center making $8.3M through 2021-2022.

He doesn't seem to threaten or create at all anymore unless it's a man advantage or 3 on 3. Hell, Scott Laughton in his first game of the year had a better offensive carry-in and drive to the crease than I've seen from Giroux in a long while. It was the same thing in the playoffs when he had 0 goals and 1 assist in 6 games.

He's 136th in the league in even strength points, and he certainly hasn't made his linemates better. So while he had a tremendous start to the season on the PP, there are some pretty big warning signs with Giroux and I think it is wrong to scoff and act like there aren't.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

You're trying way too hard to be clever and it backfired.

I'm pretty sure every single post that is made on this forum, unless explicitly noting otherwise, implicitly assumes we're referring to events within this stellar system. :laugh:

Yeah no kidding, figured it was obvious that when any of us talk we're meaning relative to us, not some other star.

Otherwise we're gonna have a hell of a time using any adjectives..

Hot, cold, big, small, soft, hard, smart, stupid, and so on.

Better not catch our little Mensa member there using any adjectives or he's going to look pretty silly.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I think hatcher's point, at least with regard to Giroux, shouldn't be so easily dismissed.

I mean, I'm certainly glad Giroux got off to a torrid start on the power play. But I am absolutely concerned with his overall level of play for a #1 center making $8.3M through 2021-2022.

He doesn't seem to threaten or create at all anymore unless it's a man advantage or 3 on 3. Hell, Scott Laughton in his first game of the year had a better offensive carry-in and drive to the crease than I've seen from Giroux in a long while. It was the same thing in the playoffs when he had 0 goals and 1 assist in 6 games.

He's 136th in the league in even strength points, and he certainly hasn't made his linemates better. So while he had a tremendous start to the season on the PP, there are some pretty big warning signs with Giroux and I think it is wrong to scoff and act like there aren't.

Both G and Ghost had rather serious hip surgery in the off season. Its going to take some time for these two to get bak to pre-injury shape.
I'm more concerned about Schenn not showing up this season than the performance of G.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
G also had two dumb penalties, you want your veterans to be more careful. G and Ghost have been shadows of themselves, which isn't surprising, skilled players with less than elite speed have smaller margins for error, Konecny as he gains experience can use his speed to compensate and be effective if he loses a stride, G and Ghost have good but not great speed and when they're dinged get exposed. So if they're still recovering from offseason surgery that would explain their vanilla start.

It's unlikely the Flyers will ever land an elite forward (i.e. think Konecny with 2 inches and 20 more lbs, or G two strides faster) who can dominate with sheer talent, so they'll have to compensate with depth (watching Raffl - Laughton - Weise, you can see the potential value of a 3rd/4th line that has size and speed even if not great offensive skills).

Fortunately, they have some defensemen with elite potential, Provorov is already their best defenseman, hands down, and he's just getting comfortable with his offensive game, he's faster than he looks and has a real nice wrist shot, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a 40-50 point defenseman in a year or two, playing 25 minutes a night.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I am not worried at all with our top 6.

But I have also said that us winning a possible Cup will be in the backs of our upcoming young D, not on the backs of our current forwards. Since then, we added Konecny. BIG improvement. Next year we will be adding Lindblom which will help our depth.

We are still a few years away from having a serious run. The first question for me is if Simmonds will be here for it by being re-signed of moved if he wants to be a UFA.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I am not worried at all with our top 6.

But I have also said that us winning a possible Cup will be in the backs of our upcoming young D, not on the backs of our current forwards. Since then, we added Konecny. BIG improvement. Next year we will be adding Lindblom which will help our depth.

We are still a few years away from having a serious run. The first question for me is if Simmonds will be here for it by being re-signed of moved if he wants to be a UFA.

I used to think that it made a lot of sense to trade him before we get to that point, for an asset or assets that fit our timeline better. But with every game that passes, I hate the idea of losing him more and more. It still might make sense to do it - we'll have to see how he holds up - but it's getting harder to think about it like it's not a big deal. He and we deserve each other, in a good way.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
We do. The issue is, when it gets printed out and given to Hak and the stats guy goes over it with him, Hak just discreetly doodles on the sheet.....

"Mrs. Dave Bellemare

Mrs. Dave Hakstol-Bellemare

Mr and Mrs. Pierre Edouard Bellemare"

I like to lurk, mostly, especially in this sub-forum, but I had to log in and say your post made me spit my coffee out. :handclap:

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
You're trying way too hard to be clever and it backfired.

Yeah no kidding, figured it was obvious that when any of us talk we're meaning relative to us, not some other star.

It took 5 secs. Anybody who isn't going for liberal arts degree could make the correlation easy peasy.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada

This is the definition of pedantic. And a completely unnecessary comment.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It really bothers you that Hatcher has a right to an opinion that is different of your own.

It will be okay.

Oh you don't know what the word "opinion" means either? Well that's sad.

You know how they say "great minds think alike", well I guess the same holds true if you replace the word "great" with one that the two of you would find insulting. It makes sense that the two of you would agree since both are completely clueless and don't actually watch hockey. Maybe spend less time banging on the boards and more time paying attention? Just a tip. ;)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Normally I don't post this way but I can think of a handful of posters that constantly talk down to others and Striiker is one.

I'd bet if you asked a majority of posters if they felt I talked down to them they'd say no.

I talk down to certain people who derserve it because they're not worth the effort to be gentle with their fragile little feelings. But most people I argue/discuss with are actually possible to reason with and we have perfectly civil conversations. I've argued with tons of people, Curufinwe, Tripod, Hexastate, RebelBully, and so many others and I bet they don't agree with you. Even if I disagree with them we can still talk like adults because at least I can tell they're not just ignorant trolls.

People like you and Hatcher? Yeah, I'm not going to be patient with people who say stupid **** out of ignorance and refuse to educate themselves.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
Oh you don't know what the word "opinion" means either? Well that's sad.

You know how they say "great minds think alike", well I guess the same holds true if you replace the word "great" with one that the two of you would find insulting. It makes sense that the two of you would agree since both are completely clueless and don't actually watch hockey. Maybe spend less time banging on the boards and more time paying attention? Just a tip. ;)

You were wrong on this one. It will be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad