Waived: Weber waived; Cleared, off to Utica (Feb 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Having a coach that doesn't line match tends to expose depth players.

I think other than Prust, a lot of the depth players on our team probably wouldn't look as bad if they are deployed normally.

This is an excellent point...when you have a coach who basically opens the gate, your 5-7 d-men get exposed with too many minutes....my guess is Weber would look far better in an environment where the bench boss actually knows how to match lines and gives his depth d-men more sheltered minutes against other fourth liners.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Fact is guys like Biega are also available at any time.

I think you're the one blowing this out of proportion. I've repeatedly said that I don't think it was a huge mistake. And I don't think Weber is amazing. But I do think he is a better player than Biega. I have never even mentioned his PP utility. At ES he is a better player overall.

And the case in terms of asset management is that our defensive depth is atrocious, so waiving a guy like Cracknell (who also isn't really NHL calibre, is probably more likely to clear and who we have better depth at that position) may have been a better choice.

Bolded is so wrong I can't even believe you've watched these two players. Weber has been a turnstile for most of the year while Biega has been quietly effective in his minutes.

As for asset management, what is there to manage when the asset is a borderline 6 defenseman who can easily be plucked off waivers or found as a cheap UFA in the summer? These "assets" can be found anywhere and everywhere in the league. Hoarding them like dragon's gold doesn't make a lick of difference.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yes, Higgins, Prust and Weber apparently have 'zero' value around the league, and two of them are UFA's in a few months....who was that GM who actually signed or traded for these guys in the first place?....is there any kind of salary cap ceiling in the AHL?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
That should quiet down the "trade him for a 6th round pick" talk. All these guys we're sending through apparently have absolutely no value.

Well it is funny to read in the GDT's how much these players are garbage, can't believe Benning thinks this is a good team, etc then suddenly they can't believe Benning couldn't trade them for a pick. At some point those two narratives need to align if we're aiming to be at all consistent.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yes, Higgins, Prust and Weber apparently have 'zero' value around the league, and two of them are UFA's in a few months....who was that GM who actually signed or traded for these guys in the first place?....is there any kind of salary cap ceiling in the AHL?

Gillis signed Higgins.

Gillis signed Weber, Benning re-signed him.

Benning traded for Prust.

Team effort on these ones.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
This is an excellent point...when you have a coach who basically opens the gate, your 5-7 d-men get exposed with too many minutes....my guess is Weber would look far better in an environment where the bench boss actually knows how to match lines and gives his depth d-men more sheltered minutes against other fourth liners.

Why blame Willie for this though? He was dealt a bad hand (Benning didn't give any other options for the right side D - short of cloning Tanev). This is on Benning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad