Proposal: Weber for Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I will probably get roasted because fans on here doesn’t see the big picture but do you think a Weber for Karlsson swap would be realistic for the sens? They keep a #1 RHD and the way the Weber contract is constructed would probably make him a good asset for Melnyk’s cheap ass if they somehow wanted to keep a “win-now” mode

Good grief.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
Considering the rest of the season is probably a write off for the Habs.... What's the point in getting Karlsson for one year and risking losing him to free agency? Especially for a long term, productive asset like Weber.

If MB would be able to pull that off, it would be a great idea to trade him back for picks/prospects as he should do with Wax.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
If MB would be able to pull that off, it would be a great idea to trade him back for picks/prospects as he should do with Wax.

I'm not interested in moving another top pair defenceman after Sergachev and Subban, especially if the player in return is only going to be around short term. The Habs defence has a shaky enough future already. No chance Bergevin takes that big of a risk.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
I'm not interested in moving another top pair defenceman after Sergachev and Subban, especially if the player in return is only going to be around short term. The Habs defence has a shaky enough future already. No chance Bergevin takes that big of a risk.

Are you talking about Weber or KArlsson here? Either way we have to rebuild to get a 1C and we have nothing to trade for since the Sergatchev trade. Might as well tank and trade assets for picks.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Are you talking about Weber or KArlsson here? Either way we have to rebuild to get a 1C and we have nothing to trade for since the Sergatchev trade. Might as well tank and trade assets for picks.

Sorry, talking about Weber. I wouldn't be against trading anyone on the Habs, but I wouldn't risk trading for Karlsson to turn around and trade him again for picks and prospects. If there's a contract in place, add whatever needs to be added because Karlsson is a slightly younger #1D. If it's a rental, I'd pass on it.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
With a little tweaking it could turn out pretty good for Ottawa given how cheap Melnyk is. What is Weber's actual average payout now, like 4 million a year? Chabot-Weber could actually be an exceptional pairing for like 5 years.

Galchenyuk, Weber, one of Gallagher/Lehkonen/Hudon/Danault for Karlsson, Ryan. Galchenyuk would be their 2LW but also Duchene/Brassard insurance since he's cost controlled.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I will probably get roasted because fans on here doesn’t see the big picture but do you think a Weber for Karlsson swap would be realistic for the sens? They keep a #1 RHD and the way the Weber contract is constructed would probably make him a good asset for Melnyk’s cheap ass if they somehow wanted to keep a “win-now” mode[/QUOTE

Bah Ha Ha, you got to be kidding me right? If the Sens are gonna trade Karlsson you are gonna get more than a Weber, he is on the wrong side of thirty with a pricey contract that goes until he is ready for a retirement home. I wouldn't touch that contract with a 10 foot pole let alone trade for it. Face it MB and the Habs fans are stuck with Weber.

Reactions: Moose Head

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Weber would be a great mentor/shelter to help develop Chabot, severely lessening the blow of losing Karlsson. That said, Montreal has to add more to Weber than what they have to give.

Weber and Price for Karlsson + something(cap will take some massaging here as much as value).
More like Weber and Drouin than Weber and Price. Highly unlikely you're going to get to drop both of those albatross contracts let alone in the same place.

The only reason Ottawa would be interested in Weber is his contract situation (real money paid vs cap hit) and the fact that he could replace Karlsson (to some extend) in Ottawa.

The problem with this is Weber's contract extends LONG past the time he's going to be a replacement (or even serviceable for that matter). Hes got another year or 2 probably before he's not worth near his cap $'s let alone the real $

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If it happens it would be during the summer once the habs are able to talk to Karlsson about a contract extension

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I will probably get roasted because fans on here doesn’t see the big picture but do you think a Weber for Karlsson swap would be realistic for the sens? They keep a #1 RHD and the way the Weber contract is constructed would probably make him a good asset for Melnyk’s cheap ass if they somehow wanted to keep a “win-now” mode
This could be the worst proposal Ive ever seen on this board. Even if the Habs add their next 3 1sts unprotected i doubt the Sens would consider this crap

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
OP has the right idea, but still not the right move for the Sens. Any team unless they need to hit the cap floor, should not consider Webers contract.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
This would be a take it or leave it offer from Montreal. This offer is based on Ottawa's current $$ situation and the selling point is Weber's current contract structuration. As I said, I get it from a value and player standpoint it's in favor of Montreal. Weber's still a Top 20 D in the league and his contract makes him appealing for a guy like Melnyk who doesn't seem to want to pay the price for Karlsson's next deal, but want to stay competitive.
You admit this, yet your plan is to try to convince fans here that this "take it or leave it" offer is a good idea for Ottawa?

This is a waste of time, even for this board. I suggest trying a letter to Melnyk instead.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad