Proposal: Weber for Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I will probably get roasted because fans on here doesn’t see the big picture but do you think a Weber for Karlsson swap would be realistic for the sens? They keep a #1 RHD and the way the Weber contract is constructed would probably make him a good asset for Melnyk’s cheap ass if they somehow wanted to keep a “win-now” mode

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
this is the last thing the sens should do. if they trade karlsson it will be for younger assets or contracts that don't end in 9 years.

Reactions: RonTextall

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
That is horrific. Habs will be lucky to pawn that Weber contract off any anyone at all and have it not be treated as a cap dump. A 32 year old signed until the end of time isnt even a starting point for EK

Reactions: RonTextall

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Isn’t the fact that Weber is signed long-term with actual paid money under his cap hit and going down every year would be something Melnyk would jump on?

I get that value wise Karlsson is better and younger. Everybody agrees on that but if Ottawa wants to stay competitive and doesn’t want future, Weber could be a solid option for them.

I mean, forget about the age for a min (altough Weber is only 4 years older). The only reason Ottawa wouldn’t sign Karlsson is because they wouldn’t commit to the $$. Wouldn’t getting an asset (#1D) at a fraction of his cap hit for +++ years be enticing to Ottawa?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I confess I could see it happening, but if it does happen it's an utter disgrace and should be the final nail in the coffin of Melnyk's ownership and administration of the Sens.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I will probably get roasted because fans on here doesn’t see the big picture but do you think a Weber for Karlsson swap would be realistic for the sens? They keep a #1 RHD and the way the Weber contract is constructed would probably make him a good asset for Melnyk’s cheap ass if they somehow wanted to keep a “win-now” mode
Ummm...

And what is Montreal adding? Because anything less than a swap in markets doesn't make sense.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Only and idiot would trade a younger player for an older player with term into his 40s. Only an idiot.

Or an owner who doesn't want to pay his superstar what he's worth and is looking for a way out to stay competitive and save $$.

I confess I could see it happening, but if it does happen it's an utter disgrace and should be the final nail in the coffin of Melnyk's ownership and administration of the Sens.

I 100% agree. This obviously wouldn't be a good deal for Ottawa but might be something Melnyk would do to save a couple of millions while staying competitive for at least another 4 years

Ummm...

And what is Montreal adding? Because anything less than a swap in markets doesn't make sense.

This would be a take it or leave it offer from Montreal. This offer is based on Ottawa's current $$ situation and the selling point is Weber's current contract structuration. As I said, I get it from a value and player standpoint it's in favor of Montreal. Weber's still a Top 20 D in the league and his contract makes him appealing for a guy like Melnyk who doesn't seem to want to pay the price for Karlsson's next deal, but want to stay competitive.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Has there been anything out of Ottawa that says they won't pay up to Karlsson? This is purely wishful thinking, and this offer is one that 29 other teams would easily beat.

And we've seen how well "take it or leave it" offers tend to go with Bargainbin. Most choose to leave it.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Weber would be a great mentor/shelter to help develop Chabot, severely lessening the blow of losing Karlsson. That said, Montreal has to add more to Weber than what they have to give.

Weber and Price for Karlsson + something(cap will take some massaging here as much as value).

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Has there been anything out of Ottawa that says they won't pay up to Karlsson? This is purely wishful thinking, and this offer is one that 29 other teams would easily beat.

And we've seen how well "take it or leave it" offers tend to go with Bargainbin. Most choose to leave it.

The fact that Dorion asked for Karlsson's list of 10 teams he wouldn't wave to or maybe the numerous report that that Melnyk was super pissed from Karlsson's comment last week?

I also doubt that 29 teams could beat that offer. Realistically, how many teams have the asset + the cap space to acquire and then sign Karlsson without sending a whole bunch of cap dumb to Ottawa?

Weber would be a great mentor/shelter to help develop Chabot, severely lessening the blow of losing Karlsson. That said, Montreal has to add more to Weber than what they have to give.

Weber and Price for Karlsson + something(cap will take some massaging here as much as value).

Why would Ottawa want 18M in cap space when their biggest issue (and most likely the reason why Karlsson would ever be traded) is $$?

The only reason Ottawa would be interested in Weber is his contract situation (real money paid vs cap hit) and the fact that he could replace Karlsson (to some extend) in Ottawa.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Ahahah roasted? Well deserved! So Ottawa deals the best D in the league AND gets Montreal out of that anchor of a contract, uh? Lolllll

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
As brutal as this deal is, Weber is only owed 30M in salary over the next 8 years. It's still not close but this is an important point when dealing with a budget team.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

I would imagine your idea will be roasted because it's a terrible idea, not because people don't see the big picture.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Ahahah roasted? Well deserved! So Ottawa deals the best D in the league AND gets Montreal out of that anchor of a contract, uh? Lolllll

Calling Weber's contract an anchor is bad faith. When Chara signed his contract at 32 did anyone said it was an anchor of a contract? No. his % of cap hit at that time vs Weber's now isn't even close either. Weber is also owed only 30M for the next 8 years and still is a #1D in this league whether you agree or not.

As brutal as this deal is, Weber is only owed 30M in salary over the next 8 years. It's still not close but this is an important point when dealing with a budget team.

Exactly.

I would imagine your idea will be roasted because it's a terrible idea, not because people don't see the big picture.

Really? What if Melnyk told Dorion he's not going to pay Karlsson what he wants but want a #1D in return locked up long term at decent $? If you're Dorion, who do you call? There's not many D in this league that fits the bill.

Again, this is all hypothetical but I could see Dorion being forced by Melnyk to call Bergevin about a Weber vs Karlsson swap.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Calling Weber's contract an anchor is bad faith. When Chara signed his contract at 32 did anyone said it was an anchor of a contract? No. his % of cap hit at that time vs Weber's now isn't even close either. Weber is also owed only 30M for the next 8 years and still is a #1D in this league whether you agree or not.

It's not "bad faith", it's a fact. He is signed till 2025-26 (he will almost be 41 - FOURTY-ONE - when that ends) at a cap hit of $7.857m.
Right now he is still a #1, sure. Let's see how long it stays like that. And if all that matters is savings in actual salary paid, why not trade Karlsson only for futures & prospects?
But seeing that I understand that Ottawa would want back a capable high level player, his contract (and age)suddenly becomes important.

Nashville fleeced Montreal in the Subban / Weber trade. I doubt that Ottawa would be so foolish to throw them a lifesaver like this. Unless Montreal retains significant salary and adds in something sizeable (at the very least, an unprotected 1st. Minimum).

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Considering the rest of the season is probably a write off for the Habs.... What's the point in getting Karlsson for one year and risking losing him to free agency? Especially for a long term, productive asset like Weber.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Both of the Weber and Price contracts/cap hits will be on the Habs' payroll for a very long time. Now, Habs fans know that those two guys are gamers, who do a lot of heavy lifting in Montreal. They are generally underappreciated around the league. The perception doesn't match the reality and they would be beloved if they made just a little bit less than they do, with term to boot.

Yet with that said, no, there is absolutely no market for either contract. Neither player is going anywhere for at least five years, I suspect. Ottawa could get much more than that for Karlsson, probably in the form of futures they covet, from someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest