Rumor: Weber could miss whole 2021-22 season

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
He'll be back in March

...as our new Head Coach after Ducharme is fired...every player on the bench already fears THE STARE!!

TheStare.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Weber takes the entire summer off to recover his body and he may think surgery come Sept - Dec range. I think his plan is to play in one last playoff run and then retire. He goes on LTIR for the entire regular season and collects his last $6M pay check. He won't want to go through CBA protocol for the last 4 years at $3M, $1M, $1M, $1M.

First step is to recover and rest his injuries and then see how he feels later. I doubt he has surgery right away cause that might end his career for sure. I think he decides to see what his body tells him after he rests.

Reactions: HabsFather

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Weber won't retire, he'll take next year's $6M on LTIR, and will then take the $3M the year after as well the same way. He has nothing to lose by doing that. May change the last two years when only $1M, but maybe not.

He's 36 years old in a month, his play has gone downhill, his body is gone, needs surgery, and he also resorted to nasty play. Fined the max several times in the playoffs for dangerous cross checking and slashing. He is not what he used to be and will never be the same as when he was younger. He's done. People need to realize it, and it is probably best he is gone.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Weber won't retire, he'll take next year's $6M on LTIR, and will then take the $3M the year after as well the same way. He has nothing to lose by doing that. May change the last two years when only $1M, but maybe not.

He's 36 years old in a month, his play has gone downhill, his body is gone, needs surgery, and he also resorted to nasty play. Fined the max several times in the playoffs for dangerous cross checking and slashing. He is not what he used to be and will never be the same as when he was younger. He's done. People need to realize it, and it is probably best he is gone.
It’s really funny to me that you think this is a recent development

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
It’s really funny to me that you think this is a recent development

Well, generally when players get older and start slipping, they compensate by using rough play. That's a sign a player is going downhill. However, if you are stating Weber was always a dirty player, I won't disagree.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Given that Nashville is royally screwed if he retires, how do we profit from this?

He most likely wont retire. He will go on LTIR and that will be the end of it.

NASH as no incentive to trade for him if that is the case... neither if he retires to be honest.

Reactions: ArtPeur

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
He most likely wont retire. He will go on LTIR and that will be the end of it.

NASH as no incentive to trade for him if that is the case... neither if he retires to be honest.

It will be interesting to see this play out. Aren't there certain requirements of players being on LTIR, like actively trying to rehabilitate for a potential return (regardless of how unlikely that might be)? Weber likely remains on LTIR this season, possibly next, but with three more seasons at $1M each salary-wise, he might decide to move on with his life and retire at that point.

Jul 6, 2016
Habs gonna have to find another RHD to fill the void. Fleury is gone and Brook is still a huge question mark. Romanov can au RHD, maybe Chiarot (?) and Kulak. Options on the UFA market are very slim. David Savard could be the target. On the trade market... who could be available ?

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Habs gonna have to find another RHD to fill the void. Fleury is gone and Brook is still a huge question mark. Romanov can au RHD, maybe Chiarot (?) and Kulak. Options on the UFA market are very slim. David Savard could be the target. On the trade market... who could be available ?
I've heard Ristolainen, Hamilton, Savard and "Others"

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
It will be interesting to see this play out. Aren't there certain requirements of players being on LTIR, like actively trying to rehabilitate for a potential return (regardless of how unlikely that might be)? Weber likely remains on LTIR this season, possibly next, but with three more seasons at $1M each salary-wise, he might decide to move on with his life and retire at that point.
Those LTIR requirement are joke… Progner had officials front office fonction for Is team and the NHL while on LTIR… You had Lupul saying he was able to play and was on LTIR… Hossa and Gaborik aren’t going to play and yet they are on LTIR…

Prendan Brust

Jul 31, 2003
Québec
Depending on how it's settled with the NHL, I wonder if he would be interested in remaining in the team's entourage to give a Stare here and there. Keep the egos in check and make sure kids know a Stare is always possible in case of misconduct. "Weber is here around us, don't disappoint him."

Reactions: Archijerej

_vivelequebec_

Mar 5, 2007
Montréal
Why would Weber retire and lose the money remaining on his contract. He's better off staying on LTIR until his contract is done.

For 1 million per year not sure. Sounds crazy but he’ll pay taxes and will probably have to report to the club and all those things since he’s still tied with a contract. He made over 100 millions, probably has stock dividends that makes him earn 5 times this.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Add Hamilton and Savard and this is a strong d

Edd. Petry
Chariot. Hamilton
Romanov. Savard

Forward core is the same and should be better, where basically running with the forwards who got us to the finals with hopefully an external add somewhere Maybe a combo of Drouin, cc, Suzuki, kk can all turn into great offensive top 6 players.
Forward Question makes include
Evans and Suzuki being able to handle Danault’ role? ( but I think the plan is to trade for a C)
Will CC be able to handle a full season?
Depth still hasn’t been resigned
Is Drouin a legit top 6 player?
Improved pp?

This off-season is very important. The D needs to be address without Weber. If I’m a betting man, I think those forwards get you in the playoffs. That D without Weber is ruff.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020

I player can be deemed unfit to play permanently for medical reasons, think Hossa or Kesler. I think this is what the NHL will rules on during next training camp (according to reports). If they don't rule him out for good, then yes Weber would have to go through surgery, rehab and so forth and prove that he can't play for medical reasons. This could take a tool on him as these are pretty hard conditions to follow. So I see two scenario:
1- NHL rule him at training camp permanently unfit to play and he goes on LTIRetirement, or
2- NHL don't give him that status, he goes on LTIR for the season, then retires next summer. He cash in the last big year of salary left, but dont submit himself to the pain of getting back into game shape.

Reactions: lamp9post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad