Weather, medical emergencies forcing game rescheduling

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I will qualify comments. What happened here this weekend:

The Arizona schools had their women’s basketball teams up at Oregon and Oregon State for Friday games just before the ice storm hit down in the southern Willamette Valley. They weren’t going to get out Saturday, so for the games Sunday, both schools declared the campuses closed, but played the games “behind closed doors.” There were some stragglers in both arenas, but probably no concessions… and very few people to keep people from entering if they wanted.

Similar in Portland as the Portland State men were scheduled against Weber State on Saturday, Weber made it in on Friday, “closed door game” that wasn’t really closed. In all cases, tickets can be exchanged for future games. BTW, Portland got a mix of snow, sleet, graupel, maybe a couple other forms.

The Winterhawks played in Seattle (eh, Kent) Friday night and bussed home just before everything hit. Seattle tried to bus down to Portland, but turned around halfway as the mess grew and the game was postponed.

Nothing fell from Saturday night on, the uncommon cold basically kept the snow as powder, so the Blazers played Sunday night without restriction, but promised to exchange tickets for those unwilling to go. Didn’t seem like many people showed up.

So the Blazers have something to learn, but for the most part, the mitigations made sense.
Pacific Northwest, wasn't about snow, it was the freezing cold temperature turning everything to ice.

Still amazes me that even after the December 2022 we had like 13 months ago that people either did not get prepared with Winter tires or M&S tires, or didn't learn which roads and streets they should avoid in weather like that. Or that maybe, it was best to not take the car and use public transportation if they did have to go outside their home.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I will qualify comments. What happened here this weekend:

The Arizona schools had their women’s basketball teams up at Oregon and Oregon State for Friday games just before the ice storm hit down in the southern Willamette Valley. They weren’t going to get out Saturday, so for the games Sunday, both schools declared the campuses closed, but played the games “behind closed doors.” There were some stragglers in both arenas, but probably no concessions… and very few people to keep people from entering if they wanted.

I used to travel with sports teams and worked in different places. And it was always funny to me
to watch the staffs of the Southern team or the California team freak out when they faced some kind of travel stuff like that. Canceled flights, closed airports, that kind of thing. In the Northeast, it was like, the usual, comes with the territory.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Texas was under power conservation orders. Wouldn't be a good look to have the game happen when people are losing power.

I don't care about the fans. I highly doubt the roads are going to be safe 24 hours later. It's like any other event, sometimes things come up and you can't make the event.
Dude, from your handle, you live in Dallas. Have you ever experienced anything more than 4” of snow in your entire lifetime? Two feet plus snow & arctic temps is dangerous to human life. Literally people have died in that. Stop making dumb takes.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Dude, from your handle, you live in Dallas. Have you ever experienced anything more than 4” of snow in your entire lifetime? Two feet plus snow & arctic temps is dangerous to human life. Literally people have died in that. Stop making dumb takes.

Not a dumb take. It's their choice to go to a FOOTBALL GAME. It's not going to work, or going to the hospital or something. It's a hobby football game.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
No, it's an absurdly inane take. We're sorry you had to rearrange your TV viewing habits on two days because the state of New York didn't want to facilitate people driving in whiteout conditions. And, as mentioned, it's not just fans, but employees, media, and emergency services (the latter for both the event and in any rescue operations needed) that would've been subjected to that.

Also, in somber news regarding the previously mentioned Warriors/Jazz postponement...

Only 46, shame.

Last edited:

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
No, it's an absurdly inane take. We're sorry you had to rearrange your TV viewing habits on two days because the state of New York didn't want to facilitate people driving in whiteout conditions. And, as mentioned, it's not just fans, but employees, media, and emergency services (the latter for both the event and in any rescue operations needed) that would've been subjected to that.

Also, in somber news regarding the previously mentioned Warriors/Jazz postponement...

Only 46, shame.

The medical personnel and employees that work there I can understand, but the argument people kept making revolving around the 70k fans, THAT was my issue. But it's all in the past now, moving on!

Reactions: Summer Rose

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
TCU faced the same thing and forfeited two games, came back with four new players on the roster they got from walk-on tryouts, including a volleyball player and three kids who were good HS players but stopped playing ball to go to TCU (picking their school for academics over sports, what a concept).

Davidson can't continue because (a) they're one of the smallest schools in Division I. They have about 1000 total women on campus. And (b) they already did it. They added two kids before their 2/17 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad