Wearing visors

GreatCanadian

Nov 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Personal opinion: I think they should implement a rule for visors and grandfather it in. This gives the current batch of players the option to use one, but every new player would have to use one.

I think it does not matter that much for junior players anyway... the CHL, NCAA, IIHF U-20 all made visors mandatory and really 99% of them have never played any other way.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Totally disagree. It should be up to the players. Society is becoming one huge "nanny state" as the Brits say. And players who fight should man up and take their damn visors off before hand. :nod:

I'm not sure what this has to do with the BOH unless there is some insurance or marketing angle.

GHOST

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Personal opinion: I think they should implement a rule for visors and grandfather it in. This gives the current batch of players the option to use one, but every new player would have to use one.

I think it does not matter that much for junior players anyway... the CHL, NCAA, IIHF U-20 all made visors mandatory and really 99% of them have never played any other way.

Totally agree. Visors are required at every level of hockey EXCEPT the NHL.........

I do not think it is a big enough issue for the NHL to try to put it into the unless someone gets hurt again, close to when the CBA is being negotiated, where a visor would have protected them

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Totally disagree. It should be up to the players. Society is becoming one huge "nanny state" as the Brits say. And players who fight should man up and take their damn visors off before hand. :nod:

I'm not sure what this has to do with the BOH unless there is some insurance or marketing angle.

GHOST

While we're at it they should repel the helmet rule. I miss seeing the players hair flowing behind them as they skated liek lafleur

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
I agree with the sentiments in regards to the points made about creating a 'Nanny State'. It should always be personal choice. Philosophy hasn't sculpted legislature in a long while, so I anticipate there being a mandatory visor regulation coming down the pipe by CBA time.

A 'grandfathering' may in fact be a part of that, as was the case with helmets. The AHL has mandated visors and it seems to work. Face protection has been a way of life for most players through their developmental years. It won't be as big of a deal as the helmet issue was.

In most trade Unions, protection for the employee was always what was fought for. It is a little ironic that the NHLPA has been on the 'against' side of the visor debate.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden

I agree with this.

GreatCanadian

Nov 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Thing is, beer league players for example, should have a choice. They have influence over no one. It doesn't matter that much.

NHL players, on the other hand, set an example for younger kids playing the game since they are part of the world's premiere hockey league. If they are unnecessarily putting their face/eyes/whatever at risk just cause they want to look "tough", that makes an effect on younger players and simply creates pointless eye injuries because of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad