Wearing opposing teams jersey at game?

motorace

May 7, 2012
hey guys, my wife and i will be attending a game soon, first time in Pittsburgh. will we be safe wearing the opposing teams jersey? i mean, i get the occasional booing, but will we encounter physical abuse like beer thrown at us? is it normal to see opposing team jerseys at a pens game? we will be staying at cambria next door, any tips? also, are you allowed to go down to the glass for warm ups as other arenas allow? we want to visit every NHL arena, and Pittsburgh is next! we actually went to philly last year and had no problems at all, so hopefully pittsburgh will be the same

thanks for your help!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Unless you run into 1 *******, you will be more than fine. A lot of people from Pittsburgh try to welcome the opposition's fans and make them feel at home. It's not hostile by any means.

motorace

May 7, 2012
great, thanks! whats the most "pittsburgh" thing to see the day of the game, Duquesne Incline??

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I was actually wondering the same thing, because my sister-in-law is going to the game on Saturday. She's a Capitals fan.

I honestly never noticed any problems, so I guess that is good.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
You'll be fine. I've been a STH for years and I've only ever seen a couple of fights and all of them were started by the visiting fans. There's always a chance there will be one drunken idiot but Pens fans are usually a pretty mild bunch.

And yes, you can go down by the glass for warm-ups. The incline/Mt. Washington is a very Pittsburgh thing to do. You should also probably eat Primanti's at some point. I'm actually not a huge fan of it but if you're looking for the Pittsburgh experience you really have to do it.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Does Pittsburgh have a reputation of treating away fans poorly that I don't know about?

No one will care as long as you don't bring anything on yourself. Flyers fans even pass through here generally unbothered. I wouldn't worry about anything.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
I've only ever seen one incident, a visiting group of young male (probably drunk) fans of a Canadian team (Ottawa IIRC) that got into a scuffle post-game on the old Civic Arena ramp with a group of young male (probably drunk) Pens fans.

Hell, I've seen tough guy Flyers fans trying to start **** at the beginning of a game buying beers for Pens fans sitting next to them by the end of the game.

However.....a Steelers game is a different story all together.....

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
The only time I've ever seen rival fans wearing their jerseys given any crap is if the rival fan was an obnoxious drunk.

I've seen a few drunk Flyers fans get into fights and have beer poured on them at the game for their non-stop obnoxious taunting.

I've seen the same with some Maple Leafs fans that come to Consol also.

Really it comes down to if you act like a drunk jackass or not and instigate stuff. Otherwise you're fine.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Oddly enough, the only opposing fans I've ever seen cause problems were Sabres fans. This has happened on multiple occasions too, which is weird considering there's never really been any sort of rivalry.

motorace

May 7, 2012
thanks for the responses guys! i just like to know what to expect at each arena, went to buffalo a couple years ago and had an amazing time even though my team lost. the fans were great! hope to have the same experience, as your city looks amazing.:)

motorace

May 7, 2012
so the game i went to was last night versus the caps. i'll tell you guys one thing, and to others visiting the city, pittsburgh is PASSIONATE about their sports! got there saturday morning around noon and went straight to station square hoping to catch the molly trolley for a tour. unfortunately, it was sold out. from the second we parked and walked around, all we saw was people wearing steelers jerseys with a mix of penguins apparel. all my wife and i were wearing sports related were caps hats and we were instantly being, playfully, made fun of, but you guys were awesome. it did question how the areana would be after a few drinks, lol. after station square, and riding the incline, we took a self guided tour through the city and ended up at the strip. holy crap, we have never seen so many sports jerseys being worn, especially on a saturday. we even questioned if the steelers were playing that night, and after a quick google search, learned steelers werent playing until sunday! seriously, ive never seen so many jerseys worn unless leaving a stadium or arena. you guys are awesome! thought about getting primanti bros sandwich but the line was enormous! fast forward, consol energy center is beautiful! you dont know how lucky you are, it's so open on the concourse and just well done. the staff were super nice and had a blast. being from dc, which is basically a mixing bowl, verizon center is basically a mix of fans, it was amazing to see so many penguins fans. in every section, there may have been 2 red jerseys on average. when the caps scored, it was basically silent, where at verizon center, there is always a cheer heard from the thousands of opposing fans. even if the caps had not won, (sorry), i had a great time in your city and cant wait to come back someday:handclap:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Come back man and get the food tour. This city is turning into quite a foodie city. Beautiful eats. Glad you had a great time.

motorace

May 7, 2012
Come back man and get the food tour. This city is turning into quite a foodie city. Beautiful eats. Glad you had a great time.

we totally saw a brochure for that at station square and my wife was all about it, but i talked her out of it, lol. husband fail.

Contender

Sep 22, 2014
I've only ever seen one incident, a visiting group of young male (probably drunk) fans of a Canadian team (Ottawa IIRC) that got into a scuffle post-game on the old Civic Arena ramp with a group of young male (probably drunk) Pens fans.

Hell, I've seen tough guy Flyers fans trying to start **** at the beginning of a game buying beers for Pens fans sitting next to them by the end of the game.

However.....a Steelers game is a different story all together.....

Agreed when it comes to Steelers games. Ever since I was a kid, I have loved the Steelers and the Miami Dolphins. In 2007 during the great thunderstorm game, I wore my Rickey Williams jersey. I remember seeing a gang of Steelers fans beating up a guy wearing a Dolphins jersey near the restroom. Once I saw that, I zipped up my coat and hid my jersey the rest of the game. :laugh:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
People wear Steelers jerseys for engagement photos around here. It's embarrassing, actually.

random question, was the igloos roof ever retracted for a penguins game?
Not sure. They did open it for a Phantoms game (roller hockey team) I went to around 94, which was probably the last time it was opened. It could only be opened about halfway by then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad