Wear A Mouth Guard!

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
I might be out of the norm, but I wear a full shield AND a mouthguard.

Nothing wrong with that. In more competitive and physical leagues I do that. It protects me from biting the inside of my lip or tongue if I'm knocked down and my jaw slams shut, or my clinching my teeth together. In open hockey/less competitive leagues I don't though.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
I've taken a slapper to the cage while sitting on the bench. Last year I deflected a slapper that rang off my cage and bounced out of the zone for a breakaway that I scored too. I'll keep mine on.

yea, but you're a midget so your head is lower than the crossbar anyways:D

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
This. Since I assume you're playing beer league, why risk injury to your face when you gotta go to work the next day? I don't think your company is going to pay to have your face repaired and I'm sure they wouldn't like you missing an extended period of time at work because you got hit in the face with a slap shot.
I never understood guys wearing no cage in a league that they have to pay to play.

Some guys already lost there teeth, some guys have dental coverage, some guys just dont care about having to get stitches, some guys realize that there is the same chance of breaking your arm/leg as there is getting hit in the face so the whole "you got to work tomorrow" excuse is old and lame.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
No, you got that right.

I started playing in November, and got my cage slashed twice in the 30+ occations I was on the ice. Once a beginner lost balance and swang the stick right into my face, the second time it was a seasoned player high-sticking, actually hit me so hard I landed on my back.

I don't like to think about it what would have happened without the cage. But well, there are ppl who want to prove they're men. Or just want a loooooong timeout from work... :D

This is just a dumb comment. Hey! i have been playing for a few months but im going to insult you because you dont wear a cage.

I have never insulted someone because they wanted the extra safety of a visor/cage but this guy makes me want to. Most of the guys that say this stuff dont wear neckguards, dont wear proper fitted elbows or wrapped shinners.

Canad93

Jan 21, 2008
What if you were wearing a cage?

The point of a mouthguard isn't entirely what the OP said..
The mouthguard prevents you from getting concussions that occur from the quick slamming together of your upper and lower jaw. This happens sometimes as a reaction when you take a hard hit.
So yes, it is important to wear one even when you wear a cage.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
The mouthguard prevents you from getting concussions that occur from the quick slamming together of your upper and lower jaw. This happens sometimes as a reaction when you take a hard hit.

allegedly, there is no proof that it actually does. Cpt schooled me on this a few months ago.

maci4life

Jan 17, 2005
Toronto, Canada
not sure if i'm just being a tard but sometimes i find it hard to breath through the mouth when exerting myself (i.e. grinding in the corners) and suddenly feel the need to breath through the nose is this just me or maybe just a poor quality mouth guard?

it may be too long and not molded right.

if it's too long trim away a little bit of the ends. Had to use them a lot in martial arts so i got good are molding them.

heat them up to their molding point, put the mouthpiece in your mouth, and using your thumbs and index fingers starting with your front teeth, pinch the mouth piece onto your teeth, thumbs, on the back of your teeth, and index at front, then work your way around to the molars. you should be able to mold the mouthpiece all the way around your teeth and then bites down to get the final impression on the mouth piece. while biting down, you may want to stick your index fingers in around the mouth piece pushing it into your gums for more molding. once you take the mouth piece out ( and hopefully it's still warm ), pinch the ends together. this will help the mouthpiece pinch against your molars and keep the mouthpiece on your teeth.

hope that explanation helps. That how i do it.

if the mouth piece cools as you're working it in, then you may want to pull it out and dip the next part you're working with and heat it up. no need to drop the whole thing in again.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Beat me to it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Nullterm, it's your own stupid fault.

Yes, it is my own stupid fault. But that's a choice I can make for myself.

If someone were to ask me (even before I took it in the grill) I'd recommend a cage. And sometimes I do swap out on cage.

But, if for whatever reason you go with the visor (like me) or nothing at all then hopefully this anecdote will convince a few people into wearing a mouth guard.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Some guys already lost there teeth, some guys have dental coverage, some guys just dont care about having to get stitches, some guys realize that there is the same chance of breaking your arm/leg as there is getting hit in the face so the whole "you got to work tomorrow" excuse is old and lame.

The league here has insurance, but won't cover if you weren't wearing a mouth guard when it happened.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
I decided to switch to a visor after my junior hockey days, so I got a mouthguard made at the dentist's last year to go along with it. I wore it for a while, but I encountered the same thing as what someone else already said - I can't breathe as well without one. I'm not playing any competitive hockey at the moment, just pick up hockey, so I decided to just run the risk of not wearing one. But if I ever join a competitive men's league or something, I'll probably wear it again.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006

Nothing prevents concussions, if they did, the NHL and every league out there would mandate that player's wear them. Studies indicate that mouthguards lessen the effects of concussions but there's no way to actually prove this to be the case.

And don't get me wrong, I think they are great and everyone should probably wear them. On the same note, I do not.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
I could be wrong but I thought in the states all underage players had to wear a mouthguard no? And here in Canada they have to wear neckguards?

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
I could be wrong but I thought in the states all underage players had to wear a mouthguard no? And here in Canada they have to wear neckguards?

USAH mandates mouthguards in the States, Squirts and up, and I believe Hockey Canada mandates neck guards, yes.

IniNew

Dec 8, 2008
Keller
I wear a visor 'cause it looks better. Considered getting a mouth guard, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Tojo

Jul 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Losing teeth is all about luck. Mouthguards provide no protection for your teeth =/ only there for concussions. Depends on how direct a hit the puck is, this is why I wear a full shield :)

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
I wear a visor 'cause it looks better. Considered getting a mouth guard, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

LOL. That's the first time I've heard that one.

I changed to a visor because the chin part of cages always gave me rashes or something on my chin. And the visibility is just so much better (maybe I'm just kidding myself, but I feel better with it on so I'm sticking with it)

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
Shhh... trying to get them riled up!

Seriously though, I switched to a Visor to see what it was like and just enjoyed it more than being trapped in the cage.

I'll second the "tried and liked it" reason.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I've gone through the whole cycle of protection. I started out with just a helmet and mouthguard. Facemasks were made mandatory when I was a 2nd year pee wee. Went facemask no mouthguard through juniors. Then to helmet only for a long long time after juniors. I've gone years without wearing a mouyhguard but I have been wearing one again lately. I've only found it protects my teeth against sticks. Not much will help a puck. I actually lost my teeth against a helmet. A guy I hit was about 4" shorter than me and the top of his head hit me in the mouth. Breathing is a bit of an issue because I can't breath through my nose anymore but I don't have dental insurance. When I get insurance again I will probably lose the mouthguard again. That being said, I won't let my son play without one.
Do as I say, not as I do I guess.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I wear a half visor. For some reason about six weeks ago, I was toying with the idea of taking it off for my game. I decided to leave it on. During my game that night while sitting on the bench, I somehow got hit in the visor TWICE by errant pucks. Funny.

I have 2 slices down the front of my visor from running into a guy who wore a cage full speed during pickup. We both decided to try to dance around each other to get a loose puck and met head to head. If not for my visor his cage would have hit my face and turned me into Frankenstein. I have a dentist on one of my teams and he wears a visor, not sure if he wears a mouthguard.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Nothing prevents concussions, if they did, the NHL and every league out there would mandate that player's wear them. Studies indicate that mouthguards lessen the effects of concussions but there's no way to actually prove this to be the case.

And don't get me wrong, I think they are great and everyone should probably wear them. On the same note, I do not.

This. Look at boxing & MMA, they all wear top of the line, expensive mouth guards and still all get KOed.

Mouth guard protects your mouth, it won't prevent your neurons from being rattled around inside your brain box. Maybe a tiny bit from a direct shot to the chin, but anything that impacts the side of the chin/jaw and creates a big torque action on the neck/head, a guard isn't gonna do anything.

It'll help keep your chiklets in place and in one piece and prevent accidentally biting your lips, tongue, or inside of mouth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad