Post-Game Talk: We win - Ducks really want Bedard - Sammie with B2B shutouts!

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
It’s gross negligence to not extend Kyle Dubas at this point

If a great regular season was all it took for MLSE to extend him he would've gotten that last season after the team's record-breaking 115 points.

They could get 130 points this year and if they are bounced in the first round again is anyone going to care? It's clear, whether it's MLSE's or Shanahan's call, or both, Dubas isn't getting extended unless his roster can win when it counts.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Two guys that really stood out to me last night:

Holmberg and Timmins.
Holmberg looks like he will become a very decent player. He's very responsible, always seems to make the right play, never makes any mistakes.
Timmins looks very comfortable back there. It would be a shame to sit the kid when he's been so good.

Reilly is like the quality sexy ex girlfriend who you don’t mind being back with, but with other new and exciting options on your lap, you ultimately feel bad but could live without her. Lol.

Always be in my heart Reilly

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You thought he looked awful? The first goal wasn't great, but the second was peewee level defense allowing the Leafs to essentially pass the puck into an open net. I thought the prevailing take away would be that he was just about the only thing keeping that a close game (at 2-0) at the point he got injured (definitely was the take from a couple of my Leafs fan buddies). Take away the back door tap in that no goalie was stopping and he was at 25 saves on 26 shots at the halfway point of the game. I realize "looking awful" can mean more than just statistics but he was pretty much the only Ducks player pulling his weight.

That first goal was pretty awful. Awful was perhaps harsh but yeah, just like the rest of the team he wasn't good to me.

Sitting at almost 4 GAA and sub .900% now as well. But yeah he's pulling his weight for sure.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
If a great regular season was all it took for MLSE to extend him he would've gotten that last season after the team's record-breaking 115 points.

They could get 130 points this year and if they are bounced in the first round again is anyone going to care? It's clear, whether it's MLSE's or Shanahan's call, or both, Dubas isn't getting extended unless his roster can win when it counts.

One round is like bare minimum.
We need to look impressive in the other round too.

It’s bullshit how Bruins and Tampa are always our playoff opponents. And the west has a middle pack team as a 3 spot.

We should be 2nd and third rounders at least, but when we had Columbus and MTL in the bubble, we know the leafs team was the lazy no défense team that played we blew those no excuses.

This is the most different they’ve looked since Matthews

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
-Ducks have 1 regulation win on the year
-Playing on the second half of a B2B with travel
-Leafs coming off of 2 days rest
-Ducks lose Max Jones in warmup and are forced to go to 11F + 7D
-Lose Adam Henrique for the entire 1st period forcing them to go 10F + 7D
-John Gibson goes down at 2-0 forcing their backup to come in ice cold after playing the night before

The stage was set for a vintage Leaf let down.

Call me crazy, but I think this may have been the most impressive win for us all season lol. Not because we played our best. I actually thought our 1st period wasn't the greatest despite being up 2-0. We gave up too many good chances the other way. But at the end of the day we dominated a game where we should have dominated. Something we have rarely seen with this group over the last couple years. The 2 points we earned last night count every bit as much as the 2 we earned against Boston earlier in the year. We need to start taking advantage of these mismatches if we want a good 1st round matchup.

Great win

I got 3 Shout outs on this one:

Sammy - This guy has been a stud all year. B2B shutty's. What more can you say
Mitch - no words needed
Gio - Thank you for everything you do. Easily the best value contract in the NHL

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Men against boys .. people were leaving Scotia early in droves last night .. like mid 2nd period folks were heading home
What a difference from Saturday, last night was pretty dull.

Not getting the Gibson comments I've read in here. He played pretty well until he got hurt, with a Team that didn't show up in front of him.

Backup was brutal, maybe people didn't realize they changed goalies?

Reactions: LeafSteel

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Didn’t like the first as we were trading chances with the other team but the second and third were amazing.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

I know what the situation is.

The logic is just horrifically flawed.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
3 shutout victories in the last 4 games. All of that despite not having Muzzin and Reilly in the lineup.

Outstanding stuff from the boys in blue and white. This team has shown levels of pure dominance the past 3 seasons. There were points in each of those seasons where I felt like this team just "feels different", only to see them come up short once again. I think the biggest thing we need to remember is that despite coming up short against TB last post season, and the results ultimately not being different, the battle the boys showed against the B2B cup champs absolutely 100% was different. This team has "felt different" ever since losing to MTL in the bubble. They are just taking it to that next level as we speak.

I have never had this much confidence in this group. Not even close TBH.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I read these in Chris Farley voice.

The funniest part of the story was Dallas claiming the fight was a draw.

Yeah what a loser. They rolled footage of Clark dummying him and then quoted him as saying the photo took the fight out of context or wasn’t an accurate depiction or whatever. What a world.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I can’t get over what a suck John Gibson is. Big timing the Toronto market through your agent so you can stay in Anaheim. And basically be the league’s shooter tutor and have a face like it’s Monday morning at the office every game…

Reactions: 1specter

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
This is why you don't let the media run your team. It's all hot takes an knee jerk reactions. I legit hated the way the Leafs played in Oct. But I also said on these boards, I don't put too much stock in the first 10 games of the season, because it takes time to shake off the rust and stop playing pre-season level hockey. People hate Dubas, but I laud his creativity, even if the move doesn't always work out. His drafting record has been much better then our previous GMs, by valuing skill over size.

Not at all true.

Their denial doesn't prove anything. As far as I can tell the whole team has denied it.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That first goal was pretty awful. Awful was perhaps harsh but yeah, just like the rest of the team he wasn't good to me.

Sitting at almost 4 GAA and sub .900% now as well. But yeah he's pulling his weight for sure.
This is another reason why these stats are USELESS .. like Murray last year in Ottawa .. when you play on an utterly useless team, at any level of hockey, stats are a complete and total waste of time to assess .. Gibson made at least 3 bellers and quite a few very good saves .. without him that was a 6-0 game much earlier on .. and on top of that tenders tend to get hurt more when they have to play like Roy every single night on virtually every single shot .. there was zero break for Gibson .. i felt bad for him

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Gibson has faced the most xGA and high danger chances by a fair margin this season. Expecting any goalie to have over .900 there is probably unreasonable at this point.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This is another reason why these stats are USELESS .. like Murray last year in Ottawa .. when you play on an utterly useless team, at any level of hockey, stats are a complete and total waste of time to assess .. Gibson made at least 3 bellers and quite a few very good saves .. without him that was a 6-0 game much earlier on .. and on top of that tenders tend to get hurt more when they have to play like Roy every single night on virtually every single shot .. there was zero break for Gibson .. i felt bad for him

This seems to especially apply to goalies and defensemen.

Lots of people called Lindholm "done" last year and not worth getting. Not the case at all, he was still as good as ever. People just got fooled by him being on a crap team. He's been ridiculously good with Boston.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
For the record, Gibson sits at -5.4 GSAx on the season. His team has not been good, but he has not been good either. Though he was good last night.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Gibson has faced the most xGA and high danger chances by a fair margin this season. Expecting any goalie to have over .900 there is probably unreasonable at this point.

He’s been burned out for the past 3-4 years. It’s just funny how he’s just wasting his prime years in Anaheim at this point. Will probably factor into shortening his career too with the workload and mental drain.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I understand that but he's still struggling. He's paid to be a star goaltender and was said to be a star goaltender. They are terrible from top to bottom, goaltenders included. I'm sure he'd do better on a better team... but he shouldn't be excused for his own poor performance. Vejmelka has a respectable GAA and S% and he plays for the Coyotes.

So maybe, just maybe, he isn't that good after all? I feel like the Ducks really screwed up by asking too much and not trading him while his value was still workable.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He’s been burned out for the past 3-4 years. It’s just funny how he’s just wasting his prime years in Anaheim at this point. Will probably factor into shortening his career too with the workload and mental drain.
Yeah, it's definitely a waste of his talent and time. Should've pushed harder for a trade in the summer

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Their denial doesn't prove anything. As far as I can tell the whole team has denied it.
They weren't physically there. We already know who it was, Alex Formenton from OTT. Also not all of the guys involved were on the team, but friends of the hockey players.

Last edited:

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
One round is like bare minimum.
We need to look impressive in the other round too.

It’s bullshit how Bruins and Tampa are always our playoff opponents. And the west has a middle pack team as a 3 spot.

We should be 2nd and third rounders at least, but when we had Columbus and MTL in the bubble, we know the leafs team was the lazy no défense team that played we blew those no excuses.

This is the most different they’ve looked since Matthews
I have said this years ago. The Leafs are the modern version of the 1980s Winnipeg Jets, those Jets teams were actually very good but unfortunately Edmonton and Calgary also played in the same division.

And by the time they finally had Temmu Selanne in the lineup they had to go through Vancouver too and they also failed to past the first round.

Reactions: Jojalu

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Tbf, while inconsistent, 35 points is almost a half a point a game player. I’d take that over whatever the hell he gave us for the first 20 games. He was trash for each and every one of them, hope he can at least play like last year where he had spurts of good play
but thats his issue in a nutshell, he gets hot, collects a bunch of points and looks fantastic, then for the 20 games after hes invisible lol. he clearly got paid for the numbers he produced, but the way he produced is the most frustrating thing to me, this is just my 2 cents though.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The logic is just horrifically flawed.

That depends on what your measure of success is.

I don't know if any sports fan is content with their team, regardless of the sport, that looks great every season but flops and/or chokes in the playoffs. Playoff success is the bar for success.

And when the home team loses 6 consecutive playoff rounds, 3 of the last 4 when they had a 3-2 (or better lead) and the last 3 all against lower-seeded teams, something is clearly wrong and needs to be fixed. If Dubas can't put together a roster capable of winning at bare minimum a single round against a lower-seeded team, the overwhelming majority of fans, sports writers and analysts would agree a change needs to be made.

I'm not sure how that logic is "horrifically flawed."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad