We will win the next 5 and miss by 1 point

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I maintain that this seasons schedule has been scripted perfectly so that the Senators kill our chances on the very last day.

That would be the final straw man. I couldn't handle that. My head would explode and I'd pretend not to know what hockey is

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
I bet you we do. They play Detroit the night before.

Trust me folks.

Detroit will lose to Boston, we will beat Boston, and Columbus will lose the next two to Philly and Chicago. We will be right back in the thick of things come Saturday, but when its all said and done, Ottawa will steal the last game of the season and we will miss by 1 point.

We can only hope. I wish it turns out that way. We'll see.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
We could literally be behind Detroit, Columbus, Washington, New jersey and Ottawa once those teams play the games in hand.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
I'd rather go down swinging. The excitement of the playoffs trumps the excitement of drafting like 12th overall.

If we finish 9th and end up with 15th overall it won't make much of a difference. If theres a player our scouts want we can always trade up. There are a lot of expendable pieces on this team that can be added to move up.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'd rather go down swinging. The excitement of the playoffs trumps the excitement of drafting like 12th overall.

If we finish 9th and end up with 15th overall it won't make much of a difference. If theres a player our scouts want we can always trade up. There are a lot of expendable pieces on this team that can be added to move up.

It's this VERY mentality that the organization has had, and is why this team is awful.

1st - Go down swinging?!? There's no moral victories or feel-good trophies in the NHL. There's playoffs, and they play for the cup. If you don't make them, what good is it? It's not a valuable learning experience for any young players "nearly" making them. If you don't make them, you want to get a good draft pick. This team is short on high end youth talent, so not making them could be a very good thing.

2nd - Just trade up at the draft? How many drafts have you watched? I've lost track of how many I've watched - you probably have too. In all those drafts, how many teams do you see actually move up into the top 10 or the top 5? Can probably count them on one hand. Trading up at the draft into the high-end positions rarely ever happens.

And yes, finishing 15th does matter - there's some very good talent in the top part of this draft. Top 10 picks look very good. If one of Nick Ritchie or Jake Virtanen fall out of the top 5, which they will, you want to be in with a chance to pick them up.

Spoiler alert - you can't if you are finishing 15th.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
It's this VERY mentality that the organization has had, and is why this team is awful.

1st - Go down swinging?!? There's no moral victories or feel-good trophies in the NHL. There's playoffs, and they play for the cup. If you don't make them, what good is it? It's not a valuable learning experience for any young players "nearly" making them. If you don't make them, you want to get a good draft pick. This team is short on high end youth talent, so not making them could be a very good thing.

2nd - Just trade up at the draft? How many drafts have you watched? I've lost track of how many I've watched - you probably have too. In all those drafts, how many teams do you see actually move up into the top 10 or the top 5? Can probably count them on one hand. Trading up at the draft into the high-end positions rarely ever happens.

And yes, finishing 15th does matter - there's some very good talent in the top part of this draft. Top 10 picks look very good. If one of Nick Ritchie or Jake Virtanen fall out of the top 5, which they will, you want to be in with a chance to pick them up.

Spoiler alert - you can't if you are finishing 15th.

Obviously I don't WANT to finish 9th. I WANT to make the playoffs. We have 5 games left and while it shouldn't of got to this point I want to see them go all out and put it all on the line to make it. If we don't "go down swinging" we will never have that chance.

It's the same certainty that getting a high pick=good player.

The Leafs drafted Tuuka Rask at #21. He is a top 3 goaltender in the NHL. The Leafs also drafted Luke Schenn at #5, a bottom pairing defensemen.

I'd rather go to the Boston/St.Louis route than the Edmonton route. Drafting good doesn't always=drafting high.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Come on leafs fans ! There might only be 5 games of hockey before next october and you guys all go in full cynic mode !

I know its not the best situation to be in, but don't quit on cheering!

It's kinda hard to admit as a habs fan, but I came to hope in the last week that the leafs stop losing and get into the playoffs.

You guys aren't out yet !

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Thursday game is the last chance shot in the dark.

Win it and suddenly you have momentum and need a 4 game winning streak from that point against Winnipeg, Tampa, Panthers and Senators

Leafs last chance to get in is on Thursday.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I coincidentally had Boston as my next game in my nhl 14 season.

9-0

I've never scored 9 goals. Grabovski got a hatty though

bursilym

Jan 9, 2014
I really dont give a crap anymore tbh. So what if we sneak in. We will get destroyed by boston and its the same story every year. Would rather lose out, move up, and draft bennett/ekblad/reinhart. Tank next year like buffalo, draft mcdavid.

JVR-Mcdavid-Kessel
Bennett/Reinhart-Kadri-Lupul

ShooterMikgaven

Sep 1, 2009
Sarnia, ON
I Joked with my buddy this would happen as soon as we lost to Detroit. Wouldn't it be so like the Leafs lol. Wheres JS Aubin when you need him

Mar 14, 2011
Obviously I don't WANT to finish 9th. I WANT to make the playoffs. We have 5 games left and while it shouldn't of got to this point I want to see them go all out and put it all on the line to make it. If we don't "go down swinging" we will never have that chance.

It's the same certainty that getting a high pick=good player.

The Leafs drafted Tuuka Rask at #21. He is a top 3 goaltender in the NHL. The Leafs also drafted Luke Schenn at #5, a bottom pairing defensemen.

I'd rather go to the Boston/St.Louis route than the Edmonton route. Drafting good doesn't always=drafting high.

Yea, but drafting high increases your chance of finding those good players. Also, the Leafs have been trying the "Boston route" for years and so far, this is the team that it got us.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I really dont give a crap anymore tbh. So what if we sneak in. We will get destroyed by boston and its the same story every year. Would rather lose out, move up, and draft bennett/ekblad/reinhart. Tank next year like buffalo, draft mcdavid.

JVR-Mcdavid-Kessel
Bennett/Reinhart-Kadri-Lupul

I personally guarantee you the leafs don't draft top 10 either year.

As for the thread, the team has to pretty much run the table OR at least hope Columbus drops the next 2/3.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
how can you guys not want a rematch with Beantown????

with better goaltending, Bolland, and a heathy Bozak I think we would push them 7 again and have a legit chance at the upset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad