Post-Game Talk: We will never win 2 in a row again.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think the Steve Yzerman example and message is being missed. This was about a Hall of Fame Coach (Scotty Bowman) having a candid conversation with an elite player at the time who put up massive counting numbers but which weren't helping to move the needle on team results.

Reflections of a coaching legend
There was a conversation that did take place between Yzerman and Bowman that changed the direction of the Wings and Yzerman's career.
"When I went to Detroit, I mentioned it to Steve that the only way - we're talking about a player that scored 65 goals and had a 160 points and the team still couldn't get through the playoff rounds - I said, 'Steve the only problem is we're going to have to play better defensively and you can lead the charge and at the same time it's really going to affect your individual statistics and he said, 'I don't care about individual statistics.'
"Steve Yzerman in his heyday, which I considered from that point on with all the three or four Cups, he's the one that put defense and offense together."

Like Yzerman, both McDavid and Draisaitl are on record as saying it is all about winning in this team sport and that they would sacrifice individual awards for championships. Yzerman is well regarded as one of the league's best leaders and he did this by sacrificing his own production to ensure his commitment to own zone play was a priority and a leadership example to his teammates.

Tippett has been preaching defensive zone play as priority #1 for this team to take steps to become a playoff contender. We've seen it in spurts but the last two months this commitment has slipped within the team and because they play so many minutes no where has it been more obvious than in the freefall of Draisaitl and McDavid's numbers. Hard to fault two elite players who want to win and drive themselves to be difference makers every game, but, hard reality in these young players is that their defensive play is a very clear area of development and most definitely a work in progress in terms of consistency.

The Wings ascended when Stevey Y led by example. Today's NHL requires an even greater commitment by all players to play a 200 foot game. Draisaitl and McDavid will get there but this is a very real area of development for both. There's just little margin of error on a badly constructed team that is trying to lurch itself out of the Chiarelli Dead Puck Reign of Error.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
This definitely will not happen unless we get more depth. When you're counted on to provide the vast majority of your team's offense, you're going to cheat to offense - otherwise your team is almost certainly going to lose.

It happened to Hall and it's happening to McDavid and Draisaitl. Nuge committed to defense and his offense dried up.

I don't envy McDrai having the whole offensive burden placed on their shoulders. Definitely not fair to them and not their fault. And I get that at times in games they will need to cheat. But there are other times when they are in our zone anyhow, and they are just not picking up their check. Not defensively mentally engaged, or whatever the issue might be. Not helping us if they score two and also give up two. There are times that it appears they can be more defensively responsible with just a little more effort/awareness in our own zone that will be of greater importance to the chance of us having success in a particular game than on a poor risk cheat. Time and a place for both, but more often for the defensive coverage.

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I think the Steve Yzerman example and message is being missed. This was about a Hall of Fame Coach (Scotty Bowman) having a candid conversation with an elite player at the time who put up massive counting numbers but which weren't helping to move the needle on team results.

Reflections of a coaching legend
There was a conversation that did take place between Yzerman and Bowman that changed the direction of the Wings and Yzerman's career.
"When I went to Detroit, I mentioned it to Steve that the only way - we're talking about a player that scored 65 goals and had a 160 points and the team still couldn't get through the playoff rounds - I said, 'Steve the only problem is we're going to have to play better defensively and you can lead the charge and at the same time it's really going to affect your individual statistics and he said, 'I don't care about individual statistics.'
"Steve Yzerman in his heyday, which I considered from that point on with all the three or four Cups, he's the one that put defense and offense together."

Like Yzerman, both McDavid and Draisaitl are on record as saying it is all about winning in this team sport and that they would sacrifice individual awards for championships. Yzerman is well regarded as one of the league's best leaders and he did this by sacrificing his own production to ensure his commitment to own zone play was a priority and a leadership example to his teammates.

Tippett has been preaching defensive zone play as priority #1 for this team to take steps to become a playoff contender. We've seen it in spurts but the last two months this commitment has slipped within the team and because they play so many minutes no where has it been more obvious than in the freefall of Draisaitl and McDavid's numbers. Hard to fault two elite players who want to win and drive themselves to be difference makers every game, but, hard reality in these young players is that their defensive play is a very clear area of development and most definitely a work in progress in terms of consistency.

The Wings ascended when Stevey Y led by example. Today's NHL requires an even greater commitment by all players to play a 200 foot game. Draisaitl and McDavid will get there but this is a very real area of development for both. There's just little margin of error on a badly constructed team that is trying to lurch itself out of the Chiarelli Dead Puck Reign of Error.

BEL, that is the point I was trying to make. It's a good thing when you hear that a player has had his 'Yzerman Moment.' I think you really, really have to be sick of losing to reach that point, and you have to honestly stop caring about points and Art Ross titles. I'm sure McDrai are sick of losing, but their play in our zone at too frequent times tells me they haven't quite had the moment yet, the complete buy in.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
*Sigh*

I hope Drai uses his christmas break to watch a couple of his own hightlights. Really don't get why his defensive work/effort turned to ****.

Merry Christmas, fellow hfOil members! :xcheers:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

space321

May 11, 2011
Klefbom -22
Neal -21
Draisaitl -15

Those are all bottom 20 stats in the NHL.

Of course plus/minus is more of a team based stat... but there's obviously issues there when those 3 are dragging around huge minuses and are getting outscored at 5 on 5.

The issue is Klefbom + Draisaitl are playing too many minutes because no one else on this team is good enough. Even McDavid is piling on minuses. The entire team is a minus btw. Not sure about Neal though, I think in his case is he's only been scoring on the PP, and not doing much at EV.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Drai isn’t exhausted after 1/2 season.

Players train to play till June

What’s more exhausting? A couple months of regular season or a couple months of playoffs?

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Arizona, Vegas and Calgary lost as well. We're still top 3 in the division, 2 pts behind the leader. Maybe some family time and some mclovin' will turn things around

Biggest game of the season on Friday. Return of Lucic (and Rieder). Hoping for a Kassian/Lucic fight

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Why does this team struggle to score more than 2 goals????????? Absolutely frustrating. Especially against the Canucks. They aren’t a bad team, but if we can’t beat them we have zero hope of beating anyone half decent another disappointment

Reactions: BlackDogg

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
BEL, that is the point I was trying to make. It's a good thing when you hear that a player has had his 'Yzerman Moment.' I think you really, really have to be sick of losing to reach that point, and you have to honestly stop caring about points and Art Ross titles. I'm sure McDrai are sick of losing, but their play in our zone at too frequent times tells me they haven't quite had the moment yet, the complete buy in.

True true. Although we give the other 3 lines besides the mcdrai line flack, it would be nice to have both or just one stud calibre #1 defenceman in the lineup to assist the team as we state every year.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
*Sigh*

I hope Drai uses his christmas break to watch a couple of his own hightlights. Really don't get why his defensive work/effort turned to ****.

Merry Christmas, fellow hfOil members! :xcheers:
I think they should put him back on the pk regularly I think it would help him in keeping his head on a swivel.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Hopefully Drai gets back to all world player again because he's fighting it at the moment.
He is not even engaged defensively. That first goal is 100% on him. Literally stops battling and turns around to watch the guy score. That isn't "fighting it", that is a lack of effort.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
The problem is scoring right now. Yes goaltending when Smith is in also is a problem but let’s look at the Big picture. In our last (I think) 8 of 11 games we have scored 2 or less goals.......... 2 OR LESS in 8 of 11 games. That is seriously beyond embarrassing. If you looked at stats the last 10 games we must be dead last or close to in scoring and points. Again I’m not an expert at what we should do with the lines or what players we should get (hell I suggested Nylander and was made fun of) but I do know something has to change. You simply aren’t winning many games scoring 2 goals or less even if you have a Patrick Roy in his prime. This team finally looked good against Montreal and a red hot Price, but then struggles against Vancouver. Maybe the west coast just throws this team off, but regardless it’s frustrating.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
lol

This stuff just gets sublimely ridiculous. Maybe some more about Nurse and Drai getting into a fight..

jebus this board
Maybe but I only posted what I saw it was clear as day drai said something to bear that he didn’t like. I have played this game to a higher level then most posters on here and know how things can go on the ice and in the room when things aren’t going right. Losing doesn’t exactly cause happiness in the room and can go sideways very fast when things start going wrong. Especially if your one of the two who are carrying the team and maybe feel at times like giving up.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
You aren't going to win most mights scoring 2 goals. Too many invisible players again.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Don't expect much Holland is a patient builder, relies heavily on help from the farm, and likes doing the majority of his work in the offseason.
I know and I’m ok with that as a seat holder if he can improve this team to being a playoff team year after year doing it his way then I’m ok with that. But it’s still going to be another year of do I go one more year see how Holland does or am I out ? Every year gets little harder to convince myself to go another year

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Really can't believe some of these comments. Drai brought a heavy game into this and the Nucks were converging on his fast. He battled hard in this one but the Nucks are faster and had numbers. Time and space was definitely limited.

I suspect as usual people glance at a boxscore and make up a lot of assumption about the play of one of the best players in the league.

But what exactly was Drai at fault for? First GA he wins faceoff clean, but it gets blocked by his skate in a play that wouldn't be replicated 1/200 times. Drai assumed the puck had gone back to the D. **** like that happens sometimes, bad break, move on.

The other goal was a not great rebound by Koskinen that the Nucks player puts in with his skate. I mean wtf. Blame Drai on that one too? Drai is the only player around, no D in site, he's actually back on the play but faulted I supposed because he didn't magically prevent a goal on a bang bang rebound play.

I suppose I could read the GDT to see everything Drai or McD are being vilified for but really why bother?

You certainly don't want to waste your time on that garbage. Take my word for it.

Your presence is like a breath of fresh air in the midst of a toxic wasteland. Unfortunately, you're one of the few with some measure of common sense and without the wolf-pack mentality of dog-piling on a struggling player.

Some of the posts on here have reached a whole new level of stupid. Mechanical repetition of the same garbage, the same worn narratives that have actually been proven wrong. Lazy. Nothing without McDavid. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. It's like watching a really stupid movie on endless loop.

What is this, his sixth season now? He goes through the same period of struggles every year. It's nothing new. It's nothing alarming. It isn't ideal given the fragile state of the team, but given the fourth-line fodder surrounding him and McDavid, he's the second-last person to blame for the team's recent slide. But we all need a whipping boy. So let's pick on the guy that's clearly been driven into the ground with absurd minutes and responsibilities early in the season.

Lazy? He plays 24 minutes a night. PP. PK. Empty Net. He busts his ass all season to continually improve his game and reach new levels but he's lazy? Yeah, he truly doesn't care, especially after clearly stating that he'd give all of his goals back to make the playoffs. But keep on keeping on with that narrative...

Anyone with a fraction of a brain can understand what's happening. He's been overplayed. But the biggest issue is mental. He hasn't suddenly lost the ability to play hockey. He doesn't lack the fundamental knowledge of how to back check. He's frustrated. He's overthinking things, which causes errors, more frustration, and more errors. Basic sports psychology, people. It's not rocket science.

But don't let me interrupt your dog piling on a player with 61 points in 40 games.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is what happens when your team is solely based around 2 players; the rest are below replacement level. This team is a lottery team again. The hot start is masking the true **** of the team.

I've been saying all year that this is a lottery team again. It seems other people are finally coming around to this reality.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
97 and 29 need to learn to carry their own lines. When they get all the power play time, overtime, zone starts they both better score 120+ points a year.
I dont think many players in the league are going to carry Chiasson/Gagner/Granlund/Khaira/Archibald to glory. The team has zero depth. That includes on defense despite what some folks around here think. Having players and prospects that haven't proven anything at the NHL level is not depth.

Reactions: TB12 and Duke74

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I think they should put him back on the pk regularly I think it would help him in keeping his head on a swivel.
Agreed, although extra ice team for Drai might not be helping his offensive production in the long run. I just hope he finds his mojo right after the christmas break.

Reactions: Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad