Post-Game Talk (GBU): We were the prey

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I am happy for you that you feel that way, I disagree. It's not worth it at all, and this season will always be a black spot on the history of the Sabres.

They've been terrible before and will be terrible next year, as well as the next couple after that, so might want to get ready for another "black spot on the history of the Sabres". Nice melodrama though.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
This was the first game all year that I didnt finish watching completely. I usually pride myself in watching all the games, even with how bad they are, but that first period was just ugly. Hard to keep interest after that.

I caught up on Homeland season 3 instead.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
I am happy for you that you feel that way, I disagree. It's not worth it at all, and this season will always be a black spot on the history of the Sabres.

It's worth it from the standpoint of cleaning house - and by that, I mean when you're a player on a team this bad you can mail it in or lead by virtue of professional integrity.

Who has had a consistent effort all year? Who has mailed it in? I think it makes it easier to build a winner when you see how each player on your roster deals with the adversity of one of the worst professional seasons a sports franchise can have.

There's still a few players on this team that consistently battle and a few others that need a new home.

We all know this team is fundamentally flawed and it's worth it to me to see this team where it is simply to take inventory going forward. Then again, there's teams that have bottomed out and continue to be bottom feeders so we know tanking isn't a sure fire method of winning championships, but at least for now, I get to see a team rebuild and most importantly, see players grow through a pretty rough spot in their careers.

I have no doubts we'll be in contention sooner than we think. I'll be optimistic here and say that I have confidence in Timmy and we won't be Edmonton East.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I was thinking about it:

I don't think it's so bad to be a fan who says, "I just can't sit through full games anymore this season. I've run out of energy."

I do think it's bad to be a fan who jumps on the Buffalo Sabres facebook page and just rips in to the team despite the content of the OP. That sort of knee jerk, ignorant reaction is sad and foolish to me.

Hal2000

Nov 16, 2010
I was thinking about it:

I don't think it's so bad to be a fan who says, "I just can't sit through full games anymore this season. I've run out of energy."

I do think it's bad to be a fan who jumps on the Buffalo Sabres facebook page and just rips in to the team despite the content of the OP. That sort of knee jerk, ignorant reaction is sad and foolish to me.

I agree...it seems like a lot of the comments are from middle-aged people (new to social media) who try too hard for laughs using lame sarcasm

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
I was thinking about it:

Facebook discussion on any sports teams pages is the lowest of the low when it comes to fans.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Next year? Probable. The next couple after that? Doubtful.

Next year depends all on Murray wanting a lottery pick or not, and after that it will still take 2 or 3 years for all the drafted prospects to make it to the NHL let alone start to contribute. It could be 4 years before we even reach the mediocre 8-10 spot and then we have to worry about keeping these prospects. Still dependent on Murray doing a better job than his mentor in Ottawa has and nothing yet suggests he will be able to.

Also, and often overlooked, is that 7 other teams in the East must get worse. Some franchises are firmly entrenched in the playoffs, free agent destinations, free spending owners. Other teams have new owners, new arenas and new money, then the other bottom dwellers are at least 2 years ahead of us in the rebuild or have developed into bubble teams as their rebuild ends. Even the teams that appear to be slipping are still well stocked like the Canes and Caps.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Next year? Probable. The next couple after that? Doubtful.

I think a lot of people will be very disappointed with how long this type of total tear down/rebuild is actually going to take. Even with the so far good job of collecting prospects/picks, you always have to take the projections with a big grain of salt. A large percentage of the prospects/picks will simply not perform anywhere near projections and only a very small percentage will out perform them. Plus it's a giant bunch of 18-20 year old kids, it takes years to develop them.

Barring the Sabres getting lucky with winning the #1 pick in 2015, which would probably speed things up a year or two, it's going to be awhile to compete.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Nice overly dramatic statement there.

I'd like to hope that when all is said and done, the 2013/14 and 2014/15 seasons were the seasons that sucked.....but laid the foundation for the Sabres to be perennial contenders and maybe even Cup winners.

Ron C.

Sponsor
Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
I understand this is the right decision. No team has won the cup in the past decade without 2 or more top 4 picks. My only worry is that the NHL will issue another "foot in the crease" memo and prevent the last place Sabres (2015) from drafting either McDavid or Eichel.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
It's not just Myers. Between blowing up the team and then all the injuries, this is not even an NHL team. We're terrible when healthy, now subtract: Enroth, Neuvirth, Stewart, Myers, Mitchell, Girgensons, Pysyk and Konopka.

EDIT: forgot about Sulzer and now, apparently, Leino, although I don't think that makes us worse. I would think Kaleta would be playing with Buffalo if he were healthy, too.

All of this. Myers isn't a panacea.

But it is quite amazing just how much he masks some of the Sabres weaknesses. This team is just completely different with Myers when he is on his game as he has been most of this season. He may not be able to turn D'Agostini and Leino into top 6 forwards, but he can at least make the team appear competent at times, which is pretty damn incredible.

C Note

Jan 31, 2014
I think I'm one of the few that sits and watches /take the pain on every single game. :laugh: am I a masachist?

I haven't watched every game, but I try to. I don't care how terrible they are. In fact, I'm glad they're terrible. I don't want to pick 12th every year. Besides, years of watching the Bills has numbed me to disappointment. :laugh:

Facebook discussion on any sports teams pages is the lowest of the low when it comes to fans.

Forgetting Youtube?

listen_to_yourself.png

Sinter Klaas

Aug 19, 2006
Making Lists
I understand this is the right decision. No team has won the cup in the past decade without 2 or more top 4 picks. My only worry is that the NHL will issue another "foot in the crease" memo and prevent the last place Sabres (2015) from drafting either McDavid or Eichel.

Bank on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad