We should sign Olofsson now

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Yea it might sound crazy but it could be a David Pastrnak , Nikita Kucherov , Arvidsson type deal Where we’re rewarded

You can see him and jack are just going to click 4 points in 5 games
His skating and his Ovechkin like release is hard to ignore

If you can sign him for 3m for 4 -5 years or 3.5 that contract is going to be Great value for us

It would be better to sign him now then have him get 30G or have a crazy year with Jack and get 5m or 6m

And let’s not forget he’s going to be age 24 start of the season

29 or 28 if we get a 4 or 5 year contract now

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Unless you were a Frolunda fan or a regular Rochester American's fan, the view from the outside appeared to be a one dimensional sniper - which this team needs - but none-the-less, very hard to ascertain how successful he'd be at the NHL level.

But WOW, I am extremely impressed by his play away from the puck, his board-work, small-area skill, and hockey sense. This is an incredible pick-up in the 7th round and you have to ask whether it was just dumb luck.

That said, Sabres still have one year left on his ELC, then he's a RFA. It makes no sense to sign him now, they have plenty of time to evaluate his upside and can probably even squeeze a bridge deal in there.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Same as Jame.

Even if he pops off for 30 next year, his lack of history will keep his salary demands reasonable. Sort of like Karlsson having a monster year and only getting a one year prove it deal.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
He’s a great Sheary replacement, but is that something to worry about? Yeah sign him for cheap, keep him on RFA, and don’t worry about it.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
He’s a great Sheary replacement, but is that something to worry about? Yeah sign him for cheap, keep him on RFA, and don’t worry about it.

I think he’s better than a Sheary replacement. I like Sheary with Nylander on line 3 next year, but I’d keep VO with Jack. Would have been a great spot for Nico Sturm to slot in. Oh well.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Same as Jame.

Even if he pops off for 30 next year, his lack of history will keep his salary demands reasonable. Sort of like Karlsson having a monster year and only getting a one year prove it deal.

If he scores 30 next year, and looks perfect with Eichel... I'm all over a buy early long term deal. I'd put the Pasta deal (6x6.6) on the table so fast...

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I think he’s better than a Sheary replacement. I like Sheary with Nylander on line 3 next year, but I’d keep VO with Jack. Would have been a great spot for Nico Sturm to slot in. Oh well.
He’s a Sheary in his prime. Who then gets overpaid playing with Crosby. He didn’t have to to be okay, but he’s nothing on his own.

No need to sign these guys long term though. No accountability there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've been one of Olofsson's biggest supporters for awhile. I had him penciled in to the lineup all summer.

But i'm not so sure about 4-5 year contracts after 4-5 NHL games....

Pasta/Kuch put up big numbers before getting them on sweetheart deals.

Yeah don’t give away possible leverage right now. They have done enough of that.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
<-- Old enough to remember when Casey Mittlestadt scored 5 points in 6 games at the end of the season. I like Oloffson a lot, but it's silly to give out a contract like that on a 5 game sample size.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If he scores 30 next year, and looks perfect with Eichel... I'm all over a buy early long term deal. I'd put the Pasta deal (6x6.6) on the table so fast...

Depending on how he looks, I would be in for that or something similar.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
<-- Old enough to remember when Casey Mittlestadt scored 5 points in 6 games at the end of the season. I like Oloffson a lot, but it's silly to give out a contract like that on a 5 game sample size.
VO isnt a fat 18 year old. And he has been aweaome in the AHL,SHL.

Reactions: kundahlini

Criispen

Jan 14, 2013
Sweden
To be honest, i wouldnt mind a pairing of:
Olofsson-Eichel-xx
Skinner-Mitts-Reinhart
Sheary-xx-Nylander
larssongirgensonswilsonwhateverfourthline

Lotto 1st pick, grab hughes, put into third line/trade for a C for 2nd line, idk risto or whatever?
Go hard for stone or panarim, lee or whatever in FA, and suddently there's depth and skill, D should be fine with pipeline and current roster tbh. We just have to dump okposo and scandella somehow

Last edited:

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
To be honest, i wouldnt mind a pairing of:
Olofsson-Eichel-xx
Skinner-Mitts-Reinhart
Sheary-xx-Nylander
larssongirgensonswilsonwhateverfourthline

Lotto 1st pick, grab hughes, put into third line, sign a lw/rw for first line and we're good.

Smith is better than Oloffson and Nylander. Rodrigues mostly is too, but has treaded water with trash his NHL career.

Problem is this leaves us with a team of midgets

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Agree with your conclusion, though Olofsson's points and general play have been a lot more impressive than 18 (or 19) year old Casey getting his feet wet in pro hockey (which Olofsson has played for years) for the first time. Casey had a bunch of unimpressive assists that involved ERod/KO making plays. Olofsson has wowed us a lot more in between the point events.

But yeah, we shouldn't be handing out long term deals or even writing into stone 20 goals for next season. Just let him go and do his offseason routine and blow our doors off in September/October when the time comes.

Criispen

Jan 14, 2013
Sweden
Smith is better than Oloffson and Nylander. Rodrigues mostly is too, but has treaded water with trash his NHL career.

Yeah sure, CJ is fine as well. My main point is no one on this team should play with Eichel atm. Skinner and Reinhart makes a perfect second line with a decent center, which we havent got.
But skill isn't the problem for us, experience and depth is. Nylander, Mitts, and Olofsson all have some experience going in to next season, and Eichel can carry f***what as long as we grab someone he can play with.
Problem is our depth, if we have a second line with Skinner and Reinhart, secondary scoring will improve directly. And if we have Nylander/Smith/Olofsson on the third with a decent center (whether its mitts or a FA or a traded player idc) secondary scoring really shouldnt be a problem.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012

I dunno, Smith may be the better "all around" player but I think Olofsson's production potential in the NHL dwarfs Smith's (and ERod's). He's shown legitimate NHL instincts, but of course it's early and next year will be a bigger test in a full season.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
He’s a Sheary in his prime. Who then gets overpaid playing with Crosby. He didn’t have to to be okay, but he’s nothing on his own.

No need to sign these guys long term though. No accountability there.

Just not seeing the comparison at all, other than they’re both forwards wearing blue and gold. Sheary is quick, with no balance, and an average-at-best shot. Olofsson has shown a lot of determination with his play away from the puck and has the best shot on the team. Also hasn’t tripped over a blue line, at least that I’ve noticed.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Well, July 1st, but yeah. Let him play out some of his final year first and re-assess then what kind of deal to offer. 7 game sample size isn't enough.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
And my point was include his seasons from other Pro leagues not just his short stint here like Casey's was.

Yeah, I still don't think it's a great idea to needlessly give someone a 5 year contract based on 2 good years in the SHL and 1 in the AHL. Success in those leagues doesn't always translate to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad