Post-Game Talk: We play tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
But, what if it's not just a meme and he really doesn't feel more comfortable out there with McCarron? Who are we to tell him what makes him more comfortable and by extention, more confident?

It also doesn't hurt playing against the other team's fourth line but that's beside the point.

He is still getting PP time and doing nothing with it so maybe the fourth line against lower competition is the place for him.
Tomasino beats out Parssinen, Evangelista, Barrie, and Carrier in PPP/60 and is just behind sissons. But by all means tell me Evangelista and Parssinen deserve more time and higher lines.

In Parssinen related news, he's off to Milwaukee

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
But, what if it's not just a meme and he really doesn't feel more comfortable out there with McCarron? Who are we to tell him what makes him more comfortable and by extention, more confident?

It also doesn't hurt playing against the other team's fourth line but that's beside the point.

He is still getting PP time and doing nothing with it so maybe the fourth line against lower competition is the place for him.
No idea whether or not he feels more comfortable but his numbers are generally better away from McCarron this season. Easier matchups is a potential benefit but I'm not sure whether that is actually true or not without seeing deployment numbers. He is definitely getting way more D-Zone starts compared to Evangelista and Novak so that suggests to me he may actually be getting tougher matchups than those guys.

As far as the PP goes no one on our second unit is doing much of anything. That doesn't absolve Tomasino but I don't see it as any evidence he deserved banishment to the fourth line.

Tomasino isn't perfect but I struggle to understand why he seems to get much less benefit of the doubt both on here and seemingly by the coaching staff compared to others.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
No idea whether or not he feels more comfortable but his numbers are generally better away from McCarron this season. Easier matchups is a potential benefit but I'm not sure whether that is actually true or not without seeing deployment numbers. He is definitely getting way more D-Zone starts compared to Evangelista and Novak so that suggests to me he may actually be getting tougher matchups than those guys.

As far as the PP goes no one on our second unit is doing much of anything. That doesn't absolve Tomasino but I don't see it as any evidence he deserved banishment to the fourth line.

Tomasino isn't perfect but I struggle to understand why he seems to get much less benefit of the doubt both on here and seemingly by the coaching staff compared to others.
The one thing i can see that he can benefit with being paired with smith and McCarron is that smith is good on the boards and McCarron is a big body that can get to the net. At the NHL level, Tomasino has played more puck distribution and playmaker but if he can break out of that comfort zone and work more on shooting and goalscoring to even out his game the line should work in his favor. Though not the most skilled line, it is fairly balanced in that respect.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The one thing i can see that he can benefit with being paired with smith and McCarron is that smith is good on the boards and McCarron is a big body that can get to the net. At the NHL level, Tomasino has played more puck distribution and playmaker but if he can break out of that comfort zone and work more on shooting and goalscoring to even out his game the line should work in his favor. Though not the most skilled line, it is fairly balanced in that respect.
Yeah I think the rationale of putting him with guys who can win board battles makes a lot of sense and the line has had some good games. However I think it’s tough to expect anyone to drive play consistently when paired with two fringe NHL level players and let alone a guy who is still adjusting to the NHL himself.

Reactions: Scoresberg

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Hes 22.... i swear the impatience people around here have with prospects is mind numbing. He is producing at a respectable albeit not awe-inspiring middle 6 forward rate. Trading Tomasino doesnt bring Kemell, L'Heureux, Svechkov, Afanasyev, any of the other young prospects up. Not sure which pressboxed player you think has a higher ceiling than Tomasino.... Glass? Parssinen? Parssinen may if things allign properly for him but they fill two different roles in the roster so i dont believe one would ever be pressboxed for the other.
I stated my opinion. In my opinion Glass and Parssinen both have more upside than Tomasino and only time will tell whose opinion comes to fruition. If that means I have a numb mind than so be it.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
It maybe goes a bit beyond just their board play and is also in the simplicity and predictability of how they play and their ability to consistently create space for Tomasino to work with. When he's with more skilled, but less physical, linemates it's more dependent on him (or the other "skilled") players on his line being able to be assertive in creating that space through their skill and speed, which is something our young guys seem to struggle with.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I stated my opinion. In my opinion Glass and Parssinen both have more upside than Tomasino and only time will tell whose opinion comes to fruition. If that means I have a numb mind than so be it.
I don't know how anyone can feel anything good about Glass right now, doesn't do much when he is out there and can't stay healthy. Personally I think Glass is done and wouldn't be shocked if the team doesn't think so as well sooner rather than later.

Parssinen I can't really tell what his deal is. He wins some battles but doesn't do a whole lot with it, its a bit frustrating.

Tomasino is fine, outside of getting pushed around. I think his biggest issue is confidence and needing to figure out how to move around out there which with some guys just takes time.

I still think with most all of our guys is a highlight reel mentality. They all seem to want to always make a play that you would see on a clip or in a video game rather than just making the smart play and getting the puck on net.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Parssinen maybe... Glass... i dont see it...

Tomasino is 2 years younger and has more points in his career already as well as being the more durable player both physically and mentally. Glass has the more modern NHL physique for sure and i really had high hopes for him going into this season. This season has just decimated any hopes i had for him making that next step

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
How come instead of individuals we aren't talking about the real problem here?

You can't just trade/buy out four of your top-6 forwards (Duchene, Joey, Granny, Nino) and expect to get away with it.

We are as thin as paper at forward. Our top line is clicking but we have nowhere near enough firepower elsewhere.

Yes, the youngsters looked promising last year but I call it the Buffalo syndrome. You look very different when you're playing without pressure at the end of the year versus when you're expected to carry the water from the get-go.

We're still a work-in-progress here so that is expected. But with all the talk about the youngsters, they are playing with each other without much help. We've seen that time and time again that it rarely leads to anything good.

Reactions: bdub24

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
How come instead of individuals we aren't talking about the real problem here?

You can't just trade/buy out four of your top-6 forwards (Duchene, Joey, Granny, Nino) and expect to get away with it.

We are as thin as paper at forward. Our top line is clicking but we have nowhere near enough firepower elsewhere.

Yes, the youngsters looked promising last year but I call it the Buffalo syndrome. You look very different when you're playing without pressure at the end of the year versus when you're expected to carry the water from the get-go.

We're still a work-in-progress here so that is expected. But with all the talk about the youngsters, they are playing with each other without much help. We've seen that time and time again that it rarely leads to anything good.
I think we need to all reset our expectations. We said it was going to be a roller coaster, well, it's running down hill right now, give it a minute it'll be back, but only briefly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad