Proposal: We need to get tougher…. Period

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
In general I agree with you. But Reaves is an outlier in this era. His job is to wreak havoc who cares where the puck is and he's one of the toughest fighters in the league. You don't want to adjust a roster too much for one goon who plays 9 minutes a game.

Overall though I'd love more guys who can crash and bang and drop the gloves if necessary.

Also, his "playing" is really a loose term for what he does. He is a bully on skates, nothing more. Really no different than Lucic, except once upon a time Lucic could actually do something, though I still hate him.

We've scored 4 goals in our last 4 games.

That is nothing Reaves can't fix. He scored more than 4 goals in his career.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
We could of had Schenn at league minimum for nothing. Instead we have Lindstrom. Yzerman is good but he's not perfect.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Those who are opposed to “getting tougher”.

Being “Tough” isn’t the same as it was in the 90s. But replacing pretty useless players like Erne, Suter, Hagg, Lindstrom for bigger body players who want to play physical and throw bone crushing hits night in and out. That’s what we need. Usually the same type of player isn’t afraid to drop the mitts.

I always liked having Givani Smith in the line up because he did exactly this. His foot speed definitely isn’t up to speed by NHL standards, but I still preferred him in the line up over the players mentioned above.

This team reminds me of the Habs a few years ago when it was a bunch of smaller, softer players, but in our case with the red wings; they do have some bigger bodies in the line up, but they tend to shy away from contact… Some sand paper is definitely needed.

A player such as Tom Wilson or Josh Anderson would be an amazing addition. Right now all we really have is Chiarot and Mo Seider whenever somebody makes him mad.

A big contact hit also can change the momentum of a game, so an addition of such a player(s) would not just be to stand up to tough guy Reeves, but would also be beneficial when playing against another softer team such as Toronto or Buffalo….

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Also, his "playing" is really a loose term for what he does. He is a bully on skates, nothing more. Really no different than Lucic, except once upon a time Lucic could actually do something, though I still hate him.

That is nothing Reaves can't fix. He scored more than 4 goals in his career.
Agreed. Lucic used to be an effective power forward. Now he's long in the tooth and too slow for the game.

But unlike Reaves, Lucic actually knows how to use a hockey stick to play hockey.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Every team's fans say shit like this when they're slumping and players are getting banged up.

We could've iced a fourth line of Tie Domi, Brock Lesnar, and Thor and it wouldn't have made a bit of difference in the Vrana, Bertuzzi, Larkin, or Hronek situations.

If you want to add a legitimate top six power forward I'm right there with you, but those players cost an arm and a leg, which we do not really have to offer.

Reactions: bicboi64

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not having Bertuzzi in the lineup doesnt help, and Smith not being able to hang has not helped. The team could definitely use a little more muscle,

I think long term the wings are built to be a really gritty, hard to play against team. Right now is just a little lull due to injuries. Whoever it was that said Fabbri has underrated grit is right too, he can be a little buzz saw at times and doesnt back down from anyone.

I think well see a bit of Mazur to end this season too which will help the team grit wise long term. It would be nice to have a third pairing D guy who could hit and fight a bit though. Like if Hagg is the 7th, why not just get someone who will cave some faces in because that guy sucks anyways.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad