Proposal: We need to get tougher…. Period

bcjr13

Oct 29, 2018
Reaves ran a freight train on us the other night. And he could have been had for a 5th?? Just remember in ‘97, things changed for us when we got Shanny, and then around this time of year Kocur was signed. Drastically made us a different team. We need a Winger who can cause those kind of waves. If not, this season is going to continue to get worse.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Reaves ran a freight train on us the other night. And he could have been had for a 5th?? Just remember in ‘97, things changed for us when we got Shanny, and then around this time of year Kocur was signed. Drastically made us a different team. We need a Winger who can cause those kind of waves. If not, this season is going to continue to get worse.
Do you have any suggestions?

• Wow
Reactions: H3ckt1k

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Agreed what we saw the other night was absolutely embarrassing. Erne couldn't run a guy or do jack shit?

Reactions: gbdet

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
In general I agree with you. But Reaves is an outlier in this era. His job is to wreak havoc who cares where the puck is and he's one of the toughest fighters in the league. You don't want to adjust a roster too much for one goon who plays 9 minutes a game.

Overall though I'd love more guys who can crash and bang and drop the gloves if necessary.

Reactions: gbdet and 14ari13

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
In general I agree with you. But Reaves is an outlier in this era. His job is to wreak havoc who cares where the puck is and he's one of the toughest fighters in the league. You don't want to adjust a roster too much for one goon who plays 9 minutes a game.

Overall though I'd love more guys who can crash and bang and drop the gloves if necessary.

There plenty of options short of going full Reaves. Two guys who fall somewhere between Givani Smith and Reaves will do. Boring, soft and injured is no way to go through life.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Rags brought Reaves in to do exactly what OP is suggesting we need after the whole Wilson situation.

He was shipped to Minnesota after proving not to move the needle for that franchise. Reaves will affect a couple games, flex his muscles a couple times, and "play" 9 mins a night, at the end of the year he'll sign a 1 year deal to do it all again or retire.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Lucic might be available :sarcasm:
Only $1M actual salary, and he meets the 3rd line height criteria. Calgary needs some help if they want to make the playoffs. Could easily send a buriable contract like Pysyk, Hagg, or Smith the other way to make up for the $1M, eat the salary cap for some assets.

Or maybe they'd be interested in Bert?

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I'd like to get tougher. I don't know that I'd waste a roster spot on someone that can't bring more to the table, though.

What I would like is some resiliency and cooler heads. Reaves singlehandedly disrupted our game for 2 periods and we should have a better answer. I mean, it's a young team and guys are playing straight out of the AHL with few NHL games under their belt, so I'm not going to pretend like they aren't going to be affected like that, but it's a learning experience.

Reactions: 14ari13

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I remember AVS tried to get tougher to play against Red Wings. It didn't really helped them and for many years they become pretty much worse NHL team. . We have Larkin, Bertuzzi, Seider. Edvinsson, Mazur and Kasper will make this team more tougher. At this moment I like as to get more skilled players.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
If we fill a couple roster spots with "tough guys" are we gonna stop getting hand injuries from blocking slapshots?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Bert missing hurts, Fabbri has underrated grit, Simon is a big boy when he gets his chance, Elmer is in Grand Rapids.. while not "enforcer" styles, size alone and grit make a difference. Think we are not a good enough team to waste spots on players for toughness alone.. part of the reason Smith hasnt worked out. He has a role, but on a better team. I am all for calling up whoever we have in the system to eat some punches from Reaves next time we play them.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If Reaves was on this team, I would both be barfing and crying a lot. Super dirty guy, and he absolutely sucks at anything related to actually playing the game of hockey. Kind of like when we had Ulf Samuellson for a bit, or Derian Hatcher. Hated them even when they were with us.

Now if we get a physical guy who can also play hockey then I am all aboard that train.

Also wanted to add, the Reaves hit had nothing to do with how we played against Minnesota. Reaves plays maybe 5-7 minutes a night, and we had 17 shots in a full 60 minutes and only the goal scored by Soderblom as anything remotely dangerous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad