News Article: We need this management aspect maybe...

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Something is needed for sure. The leafs haven’t developed their own goalie who succeeded in a very long time. In the last 22 years the best is Reimer....... in the last 40 years it’s Potvin, who in all honesty, his actual playing level was always overhyped.

Rask is the real, “what could of been”. If we had this sort of department maybe they could of known not to trade Rask away for a goalie Boston wasn’t even going to tender. Let alone keep Pogge over him. I know I’m making bold claims, and Pogge looked legit, but someone more trained than me should of been able to tell Rask was better. Not to mentioned we just made a 1st round investment in him.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
TO's goaltending has been a problem with Anderson being the best since Belfour but Anderson is getting up there so a replacement being drafted would be awesome but a whole department for that single issue?

TO hasn't drafted a good center since Matthews otherwise hasn't since Boschman maybe another department devoted to just that is needed?

Rielly was a good d-man choice 6 years before Sandin, the results of Sandin are still to be determined, so maybe a department devoted to d-men is also in order, where do you stop?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The good old days when Allaire was going to get Toskala to bring TOR to the promised land. In a contract year to boot!

I predict that TOR will get goalie excellence through the UFA market.

The public spat between he and Burke was just weird.

Toronto hockey News is rarely boring

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Drafting, developing and advancement of goalies is a concern for this organization. Haven't done that since Felix Potvin. Terrible.

Yep. I'm not exactly sure if its from poor scouting, lack of high picks dedicated to goalies, poor development, something else, or some combination of them.

But whatever the cause, there's zero excuse to go ~25-30 years without internally drafting and developing a quality starting goalie. Doesn't matter if goalies are particularly hard to project when drafting, that's way too long a time period to produce almost exclusively busts, backups, or at the very best a Reimer type of player.

Reactions: Faltorvo

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Fairly sure the Leafs had a similar thing before Brian Daccord moved to Arizona in September, and Calgary just hired Jason Labarbera to do the same for them just yesterday. We've had that system in place since like 2017.

It's not new, they just put a fancy title on it.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Drafting, developing and advancement of goalies is a concern for this organization. Haven't done that since Felix Potvin. Terrible.

We did draft Rask (even though we did not develop him) and Reimer. That is not nothing, and it's TBD with our current management. Woll has been inconsistent, but the AHL team in front of him was absolute trash. He was good at BC behind a mediocre team so he has not really played behind good teams since he was drafted (or his D+1).

Scott looked really good too before he got injured. We will see how he turns out.

Other than that, we are talking about regimes from years ago who are responsible.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If you want to improve your drafting record for goalies, here are some things to do:

1) Don't draft crapshoot Europeans. If they are not already good by 18 (i.e. WJC U18 starters, dominating locally, etc.), or haven't taken major leaps forward as OA's, then don't draft them at all. The only wiggle room is if they are stuck behind a world class prospect... So the Leafs have somewhat of a pass with Akhtyamov since Askarov was there, however I still wouldn't have taken him in the 4th. Same for someone like Calle Clang who was stuck behind Wallstadt. That's about as crapshoot as it gets for Europe, and then they better look really good in whatever international chances they do get, and practically dominate in their domestic league.

2) The USDP produces some high quality goalies, but it is pretty easy to tell if someone is good or not from there (i.e. they are usually their WJC starter, and typically they go pretty high because they are obviously very good). Occasionally you will see a worthwhile bet from a Jr. A league as well (USHL mostly, but occasionally BCHL/OJHL/AJHL/etc. too), but once again the special ones usually go pretty high as well and the later round ones are typically crapshoots who don't pan out very often. If they are going the NCAA route though, make sure they are going to a good school. This applies to all NCAA prospects, but you don't want them playing in a weak conference or on a weak team with less resources for development. NHL teams don't get to touch them very often due to scholarship rules so it is on the NCAA teams to develop them properly. Most of the NHLers come from stronger schools with more resources and playing in stronger conferences, so it is effectively a crapshoot if you draft a guy who is not on one of those teams.

3) If you want your best shot at a crapshoot panning out, go for the CHL. The best bang-for-buck is betting on a young goalie who is a backup in their DY, but looked good whenever they played and projects well. You can also go for a young starter on a poor team, as long as they still look decent (i.e. Ian Scott). These guys typically go in the mid-late rounds, depending on the strength of the goalie pool, and can turn into real steals (Martin Jones, undrafted but signed by LA at 18, in the first case; Braden Holtby in the latter case are examples). International doesn't matter as much for Canada, especially since we usually have a good team which makes our goalies look better than they are. They also go with status quo (i.e. the guys who were good as midgets and were on their U17 squads, even if they sucked in the CHL) over the best CHL guys, which is why Hart was not on the U18 squad (he was an 8th round WHL pick and not on many radars before the WHL) but was practically the starter for two straight years in the U20 tournaments.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
If you want to improve your drafting record for goalies, here are some things to do:

1) Don't draft crapshoot Europeans. If they are not already good by 18 (i.e. WJC U18 starters, dominating locally, etc.), or haven't taken major leaps forward as OA's, then don't draft them at all. The only wiggle room is if they are stuck behind a world class prospect... So the Leafs have somewhat of a pass with Akhtyamov since Askarov was there, however I still wouldn't have taken him in the 4th. Same for someone like Calle Clang who was stuck behind Wallstadt. That's about as crapshoot as it gets for Europe, and then they better look really good in whatever international chances they do get, and practically dominate in their domestic league.

2) The USDP produces some high quality goalies, but it is pretty easy to tell if someone is good or not from there (i.e. they are usually their WJC starter, and typically they go pretty high because they are obviously very good). Occasionally you will see a worthwhile bet from a Jr. A league as well (USHL mostly, but occasionally BCHL/OJHL/AJHL/etc. too), but once again the special ones usually go pretty high as well and the later round ones are typically crapshoots who don't pan out very often. If they are going the NCAA route though, make sure they are going to a good school. This applies to all NCAA prospects, but you don't want them playing in a weak conference or on a weak team with less resources for development. NHL teams don't get to touch them very often due to scholarship rules so it is on the NCAA teams to develop them properly. Most of the NHLers come from stronger schools with more resources and playing in stronger conferences, so it is effectively a crapshoot if you draft a guy who is not on one of those teams.

3) If you want your best shot at a crapshoot panning out, go for the CHL. The best bang-for-buck is betting on a young goalie who is a backup in their DY, but looked good whenever they played and projects well. You can also go for a young starter on a poor team, as long as they still look decent (i.e. Ian Scott). These guys typically go in the mid-late rounds, depending on the strength of the goalie pool, and can turn into real steals (Martin Jones, undrafted but signed by LA at 18, in the first case; Braden Holtby in the latter case are examples). International doesn't matter as much for Canada, especially since we usually have a good team which makes our goalies look better than they are. They also go with status quo (i.e. the guys who were good as midgets and were on their U17 squads, even if they sucked in the CHL) over the best CHL guys, which is why Hart was not on the U18 squad (he was an 8th round WHL pick and not on many radars before the WHL) but was practically the starter for two straight years in the U20 tournaments.
Leafs should just hire you since you got all the answers

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Leafs should just hire you since you got all the answers

I am applying for a front office job in a few weeks, so we will see how it works out ;)

Be careful for what you wish for, since I may just be ruining the Leafs with my bad ideas very soon :laugh:

Reactions: Buds17

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The spat was warranted - a goalie coach not conversing with the penalty killing special teams coach is a big WTF. The team's PK was historically bad.

It may have been warranted. But the two guys taking blantant shots at one another in the media was definitely not the norm

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
TO's goaltending has been a problem with Anderson being the best since Belfour but Anderson is getting up there so a replacement being drafted would be awesome but a whole department for that single issue?

TO hasn't drafted a good center since Matthews otherwise hasn't since Boschman maybe another department devoted to just that is needed?

Rielly was a good d-man choice 6 years before Sandin, the results of Sandin are still to be determined, so maybe a department devoted to d-men is also in order, where do you stop?
since boschman??

you already forgot about kadri?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I never felt Kadri was truly suited as a center, he was used at center because of TO's limited options mostly.

He's a lot better as a center than as a winger...

Depending on your definition of "good", there is Nik Antropov and Matt Stajan, on top of Kadri.

The Leafs did not draft too many centers very high in the draft in general though.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad