We need more veterans

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Just realized that Smithson is our oldest player at 34... Anyone else think this team needs at least 1-2 more veteran guys in the locker room and on the ice?

Looking back at the last few cup winning teams, every team had a young core with solid veterans to compliment them.

Chicago: Handzus (36), Rozsival (35), Madden (36), Mayers (38), and Hossa will be 35 in a few months.

Boston: Recchi (42), Thornton (33), Thomas (36), Hnidy (35)

LA: Mitchell (34), Moreau (36)

Each of these teams had 4+ players with at least 10 years of experience while the Leafs at the moment have 1 (again, Smithson).

None of these guys were core players. They were simply reliable players who know how to grind out a game/season/playoff series. I don't expect Nonis to make any miracle trade to bring in impact players without giving up too much, but I do hope he looks around and tries to find 1-2 players with experience.

I hope he waits until we are actually a legitimate cup contender. Until then, I believe letting a young group grow together will pay longer term dividends.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
We need a veteran 4th liner. Somone similar to scott Thornton. We also need a calming veteran right handed dman. Someone like dan Girardi. A veteran backup would also be nice after we move Riemer or Bernier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad