We need more veterans

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
Just realized that Smithson is our oldest player at 34... Anyone else think this team needs at least 1-2 more veteran guys in the locker room and on the ice?

Looking back at the last few cup winning teams, every team had a young core with solid veterans to compliment them.

Chicago: Handzus (36), Rozsival (35), Madden (36), Mayers (38), and Hossa will be 35 in a few months.

Boston: Recchi (42), Thornton (33), Thomas (36), Hnidy (35)

LA: Mitchell (34), Moreau (36)

Each of these teams had 4+ players with at least 10 years of experience while the Leafs at the moment have 1 (again, Smithson).

None of these guys were core players. They were simply reliable players who know how to grind out a game/season/playoff series. I don't expect Nonis to make any miracle trade to bring in impact players without giving up too much, but I do hope he looks around and tries to find 1-2 players with experience.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Old team - Wishes it could get younger with potential

Young team - Wishes to have the mental fortitude of a veteran team

Our young players could grow into those veteran pieces very soon. Heck Lupul, Clarkson, and Dion are pretty much those guys. So no, no we don't.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
We don't need veterans. We need health. I don't care if your team has all the leadership in the world, no team will survive losing two, possibly three, of their top centres.

Bolland out long term? Well, we can survive with McClement/Smithson at 3-4. Bozak hurt too? Okay, we're in serious trouble. Kadri suspended on top of that? We're ****ed.

We're 11-6-1, and haven't played our full line-up yet, and won't until Bolland gets back at the earliest. Veterans won't make those players heal any faster.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Yes, I agree with the OP - some older guys are good for a team. Of course, not just old for the sake of old, but, certainly, experienced players who are winners or who have had lots of SC experience are going to settle a team down a lot when things get tight.

If a team is lucky enough to have an unusual number of really younger players AND if they are more mature than average then maybe that's fine, but, generally, most younger guys are not mature as in mature in a hockey sense.

Rielly might be an exception, and there are many exceptions, but, just in general, it makes more sense to have a balance of age on your team that goes along with your 'core' that isn't too old as to miss out on the window to win a cup.

On the other hand, if we get into contention (I'm not thinking this year, but, if things came together next years perhaps), then, you can always get guys later in the year to fill in holes and those are very often going to be older players who have experience - like an Iginla or a Jagr.

In general, I feel the Leafs play poorly or suffer (not exactly the word) because they are simple too young, but, that's good and bad imo. It's good in that there is a chance they can grow together and find an identity, on the other hand in a capworld, it's unlikely they will stay together.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Having the right veterans does... I'm not saying go and get some random 35 year old plug (a la Smithson), my point is that we need players with experience that know what it takes to win.

Our young guys are becoming veterans.

We're still 2-3 years away from competing for the cup.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Wishing we had old vets now? When we had, and were acquiring old vets, we were all wishing for a youth movement!

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
Yes, I agree with the OP - some older guys are good for a team. Of course, not just old for the sake of old, but, certainly, experienced players who are winners or who have had lots of SC experience are going to settle a team down a lot when things get tight.

If a team is lucky enough to have an unusual number of really younger players AND if they are more mature than average then maybe that's fine, but, generally, most younger guys are not mature as in mature in a hockey sense.

Rielly might be an exception, and there are many exceptions, but, just in general, it makes more sense to have a balance of age on your team that goes along with your 'core' that isn't too old as to miss out on the window to win a cup.

On the other hand, if we get into contention (I'm not thinking this year, but, if things came together next years perhaps), then, you can always get guys later in the year to fill in holes and those are very often going to be older players who have experience - like an Iginla or a Jagr.

In general, I feel the Leafs play poorly or suffer (not exactly the word) because they are simple too young, but, that's good and bad imo. It's good in that there is a chance they can grow together and find an identity, on the other hand in a capworld, it's unlikely they will stay together.

This is exactly what I am trying to get at.

Wishing we had old vets now? When we had, and were acquiring old vets, we were all wishing for a youth movement!

I was waiting for a response like this. Back then we knew our CORE was too old and that it needed to get younger. Now we know our CORE is young and talented, my point is to supplement them with some experience and maturity.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Just realized that Smithson is our oldest player at 34... Anyone else think this team needs at least 1-2 more veteran guys in the locker room and on the ice?

Looking back at the last few cup winning teams, every team had a young core with solid veterans to compliment them.

Chicago: Handzus (36), Rozsival (35), Madden (36), Mayers (38), and Hossa will be 35 in a few months.

Each of these teams had 4+ players with at least 10 years of experience while the Leafs at the moment have 1 (again, Smithson).

None of these guys were core players. They were simply reliable players who know how to grind out a game/season/playoff series. I don't expect Nonis to make any miracle trade to bring in impact players without giving up too much, but I do hope he looks around and tries to find 1-2 players with experience.

I like how we added Bolland, Raymond, Ranger as veterans that contribute.

I'm all for adding veterans if they can still play but guys like Hnidy and Mayers who no impact on their team winning the cup. Hnidy played 3 games averaging 3:09 per game in the playoffs that year and Mayers was benched all last playoffs.

If you're going to count them as veterans like they actually did something to change the fortunes of their team than you absolutely need to count Liles whose a 10 year pro (9 NHL seasons cause of the 04 lockout).

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Completely agree OP. Especially with Bolland out. We could use a cheap one year veteran C like a Horcoff or something. Except better that Horc of course. No idea who really..

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Completely agree OP. Especially with Bolland out. We could use a cheap one year veteran C like a Horcoff or something. Except better that Horc of course. No idea who really..

I know this sounds crazy but Gomez wouldn't be a bad option, give him a one year deal and its no lose scenerio, best case he finds some of his offensive game again,worst case he's an extra body and we let him walk July 1st.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto

Boston: Recchi(42), Thornton (33), Thomas (36), Hnidy (35)

You really don't think the bolded players weren't "core"?

I agree that for a deep playoff run we need more veterans, they're good to have around, they tend to keep things calm, focused, and at the right time 'loose' (i.e., when the young guys are freaking out because they played a bad game).

I think if this team is doing well by the deadline they could add one or two guys.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
Leafs made an effort to bring in guys who have won cups or been deep in the playoffs in the recent past. How is that not bringing in leadership? You don't need to be in the twilight of your career to know what it takes to win and know how to set the right example for the younger players.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010

Saw this and for a second thought "Sorry to burst your bubble buddy but..." and then I realized that it was in fact my bubble that had burst.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

No we do not need to just go ahead old players.

We need to IMPROVE the team at centre and defense. Not worry about dragging in some old horse on its last legs to provide "leadership"

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
A lot of our players are in their mid 20s and up, I feel like there should be some veteran knowledge engrained in that alone. I don't believe we're a hot, young up and coming team. A lot of our players are in their prime right now while the others are the kids (Rielly, Kadri, JVR). Guy's like Phaneuf, McClement, Lupul, Kulemin, Clarkson, and Bolland should be enough when it comes to leadership - but thats just my two cents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad