We Need a New Direction, Treliving and Ward Have to go.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
This organization needs a shakeup. I like Jefff Ward, nice guy cares about the team, but he's better off as an assistant coach, like Gully. I have liked Tre for a long time, he's made some very good trades some not so good ones, but bad free agent signings and coaching hires we've had haven't worked. We are at a critical point, talent in their prime, young talent coming up, solid D, great goaltending and overall solid forward core. We should not be this bad, we need a different direction, new blood, new eyes and a new direction. It feels like we spin our tires every year, and it's felt this way for a majority of the time since 04.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
They need to be gone tonight. Like a Peter Chiarelli 2nd intermission sacking

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
To be fair to Tre, he signed Markstrom and Tanev this past off-season to improve the team and both look like studs for us.

If he fires Ward though, which he should, he has to resign as its unacceptable to hire another coach when you've had 4 in like 6 years.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
To be fair to Tre, he signed Markstrom and Tanev this past off-season to improve the team and both look like studs for us.

If he fires Ward though, which he should, he has to resign as its unacceptable to hire another coach when you've had 4 in like 6 years.
Not denying the first part at all, I like a lot of what Tre has done, but we get nowhere every year, except couple seasons ago, it feels like we underachieve.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
It is not Trelving's or Ward's job to motivate highly paid players. The biggest issue is that the Flames too often think they're out for a Sunday family skate.

If I have a criticism of Treliving he seems unwilling to take a bold step in sending an asset out of town in order to acquire another asset or even to free up cap space. He is loyal to a fault in willing to give the core group one more chance.

Ward is ok. No different than other coaches for the most part. Should he be a bit more of a drill sergeant? Maybe, but Peters lost the room in a hurry and Ward seems to have good relations with the group. I think the team is still adjusting to his 1:1:3 system so that it is second nature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
It definitely is part of Wards job to motivate these highly paid players. Under Hartley we were the hardest working team in the league.

That being said, we cannot afford another coaching change already. I’d be in favour of a core player shakeup before another coaching change, last thing we need is to fall into that loser mentality that Edmonton has, where they know if they just give up they’ll get handed a new coach.

As for Treliving, someone grab a lighter, if his seats not hot by now, it should be.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
My gut feeling is that Gaudreau extension talks with be a very delicate situation and I'm not sure I trust Treliving to handle a situation where he isn't the one with leverage and I'm not sure I trust him to take us through a retool

Question is, who do you trust less? Treliving who seems to have full autonomy, or his replacement who will be hand picked by our meddling ownership.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
My gut feeling is that Gaudreau extension talks with be a very delicate situation and I'm not sure I trust Treliving to handle a situation where he isn't the one with leverage and I'm not sure I trust him to take us through a retool
Yea the way we penny pinched him last time he is going to want to get that money back now. Unless we are a top team I just don't see us being able to convince him to stay.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Question is, who do you trust less? Treliving who seems to have full autonomy, or his replacement who will be hand picked by our meddling ownership.
In this instance, Treliving by far.

We've spent to the cap for as long as I can remember. Our ownership also knows what happened to this team and the fanbase when everyone left for pennies on the dollar in the mid-90s. I don't think they'd hesitate to open the checkbook for Gaudreau to keep him here in time for the new arena.

I think these negotiations would turn personal with Treliving and I would really rather see anyone else handle them. Might be in the minority here but I'd give him $10 million without any hesitation. His production has kept us relevant for his entire time here, plus the cap will eventually go up and the American TV deal should be much more lucrative and give it a healthy boost too.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
In this instance, Treliving by far.

We've spent to the cap for as long as I can remember. Our ownership also knows what happened to this team and the fanbase when everyone left for pennies on the dollar in the mid-90s. I don't think they'd hesitate to open the checkbook for Gaudreau to keep him here in time for the new arena.

I think these negotiations would turn personal with Treliving and I would really rather see anyone else handle them. Might be in the minority here but I'd give him $10 million without any hesitation. His production has kept us relevant for his entire time here, plus the cap will eventually go up and the American TV deal should be much more lucrative and give it a healthy boost too.
You know i get it. I understand the sentiment, and even agree with most of your points but if we can't win with a young/cheap Johnny, we sure won't with an old/expensive one.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Umm... ownership mandate from 2015 was basically retool vs rebuild. That's why we had ploffs.

Gio extension seemed fine. IDK why you guys are worried. IIRC Gaudreau's issue on the last contract was that he just sat on his hands and waited for his agent to do it all. He wasn't really involved with the discussions at all until the pre-season started and mentioned in an interview he should have kept closer attention to the whole thing rather than just leave it 100% in the hands of his agent. I don't think there's bad blood between him and the org. The Flames offer him the best option to go far. I think they could hammer a deal for sure.

Ward... I get some of your frustrations. But while some of you see a guy who looks in over his head, I see something kinda different. Maybe I'm giving the guy too much credit, but I see a guy who has a ton of theories on paper and he is still stubbornly experimenting with them to see what works and what doesn't. On paper vs on ice. He won't hold it against the player if the tactic fails, but he seemingly demands the player play the tactic to perfection so that he has a body of video to evaluate or something. Ward is a bit more... mad scientist than clueless oaf to me. Gulutzan is a guy who was stubborn to his system in a clueless oaf manner. Willie Desjardins as well. Ward... has been a guy who has been watching from the sidelines for a long time. He's seen success and failures. He's been a teacher to children and knows how to try and coax out the best in his students even when they don't know how to start. There seems to be a method to his madness that I can see.

He's possibly building a bigger hand book on his own team for later on where he can see the weaknesses the team has in different combos (shake up, injury, trades etc.) and thus he is less likely to be surprised and throwing out completely brand new lines late season. This perhaps allows him to counter counters, or create a new line combo that he knows can tread water. I just know that I seem to see a different Flames group period to period. I've never seen the boys play so many different tactics before to good and bad results. Whatever style the Flames are playing this year looks very different than last year and many years prior. If Hartley was a one trick pony and Gulutzan/Peters two tricks, Ward looks like he has like 5. It's really bizarre and I don't know if I'm making things up or if there legitimately is a method to his madness.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00