We must back Gary Bettman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Chris

Oct 7, 2003
Montreal
I'm getting more than a little tired of reports from the players saying that Gary Bettman is trying to sabotage hockey and the NHL. I've always sided with the league and I do even moreso now.

When I read accounts from players who say they're not sure how they will support their family after they are finished playing hockey, I have to laugh. "I'm only making 1.5 million a year for the next 15 years or so, what will I do when that is over?" Ridiculous. It's called doing what the rest of the world (in fact, your fans) do. Save. Budget. Prepare. These spoiled brats are lucky to be playing hockey for a living and getting paid for it at all nevermind the outrageous salaries that most of them receive.

Roll back the clock to the 1970s and before when hockey players still made a good salary but considered themselves working men, and not the celebrities that they think they are today.

But nonetheless, uninformed, ignorant people will still boo Bettman years from now when he's presenting the hardware to the winning team of the Stanley Cup Final. He's doing what another league president might not do. Sticking to his guns, and saving this game (and every team in the league big or small) that we love.

So back Bettman and his cause to save hockey from the almight dollar.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Evil Chris said:
When I read accounts from players who say they're not sure how they will support their family after they are finished playing hockey, I have to laugh. "I'm only making 1.5 million a year for the next 15 years or so, what will I do when that is over?" .

I would love to see your sources for this. IM pretty sure you heard one or 2 players say this and your accusing ALL NHL Players for thinking this way.

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
Evil Chris said:
I'm getting more than a little tired of reports from the players saying that Gary Bettman is trying to sabotage hockey and the NHL. I've always sided with the league and I do even moreso now.

When I read accounts from players who say they're not sure how they will support their family after they are finished playing hockey, I have to laugh. "I'm only making 1.5 million a year for the next 15 years or so, what will I do when that is over?" Ridiculous. It's called doing what the rest of the world (in fact, your fans) do. Save. Budget. Prepare. These spoiled brats are lucky to be playing hockey for a living and getting paid for it at all nevermind the outrageous salaries that most of them receive.

Roll back the clock to the 1970s and before when hockey players still made a good salary but considered themselves working men, and not the celebrities that they think they are today.

But nonetheless, uninformed, ignorant people will still boo Bettman years from now when he's presenting the hardware to the winning team of the Stanley Cup Final. He's doing what another league president might not do. Sticking to his guns, and saving this game (and every team in the league big or small) that we love.

We are all dumber for having read that, and may God have mercy on your soul

chara

Mar 31, 2004
Ultimately, you are right but not so much for Bettman but for the credibility of the league.

When NBA commish David Stern laid out the suspensions after the Detroit brawl, the players and owners respected it. There was some discension but as a whole they respected the final decision. Because of this, the fans felt that it was handled appropriately and got back to being fans.

The same cannot be said by most decisions put forth by the NHL office. Respect and trust goes a long to build a credible business model that outsiders (i.e. the fans) will trust is doing the right thing for the game of hockey. This problem has to be reviewed after the CBA issue is resolved.

MacDaddy TLC*

and if I have broke that code properly, K215215 is Jeff O'Neill! Kool aid Kool Aid, Tastes great. Kool aid kool aid, can't wait!

Both Bryan McCabe and Jeff O'Neill have stated of a lengthy lockout that maybe the guys making 9 mil a year will survive but us guys under 5 million might have a tough time. Seriously, the NHL and PA should get together and provide a money management course for these men-children. There should be a media relations course as well. Almost Everytime a player opens his mouth something stupid comes out. It's too bad that the NHLPA and Bob Goodenow haven't got the leadership skills to put a muzzle on these dumbasses to keep them quiet. At least under the guidance of Gary Bettman, the management side keeps their mouths shut or pay a stiff fine.

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
and if I have broke that code properly, K215215 is Jeff O'Neill! Kool aid Kool Aid, Tastes great. Kool aid kool aid, can't wait!

Both Bryan McCabe and Jeff O'Neill have stated of a lengthy lockout that maybe the guys making 9 mil a year will survive but us guys under 5 million might have a tough time. Seriously, the NHL and PA should get together and provide a money management course for these men-children. There should be a media relations course as well. Almost Everytime a player opens his mouth something stupid comes out. It's too bad that the NHLPA and Bob Goodenow haven't got the leadership skills to put a muzzle on these dumbasses to keep them quiet. At least under the guidance of Gary Bettman, the management side keeps their mouths shut or pay a stiff fine.

Actually, I'm Joe Sakic

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I don't like the direction the league is going on or off the ice. The game has been boring for years and now we're about to have a season cancelled.

We must back Bettman?

Give me a break. (and no, I do NOT support Goodenow either).

SPARTAKUS*

Evil Chris said:

You're bang on!!! The players better start to realize that they can't win this time. I am sure that most of us would give anything to play in the NHL. I am certain that the Lafleur, Orr, Sittler, Esposito and all those great players from the past didn't care that the owners were making more money than them. You know why? Because they were playing in the NHL, they were playing for the love of the game and the game of hockey was more important than themselves....

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
OTTSENS said:
You're bang on!!! The players better start to realize that they can't win this time. I am sure that most of us would give anything to play in the NHL. I am certain that the Lafleur, Orr, Sittler, Esposito and all those great players from the past didn't care that the owners were making more money than them. You know why? Because they were playing in the NHL, they were playing for the love of the game and the game of hockey was more important than themselves....

Your kidding right? Espo Sittler and Lafleur were continuously ***** and exploited by a bunch of ******* owners and a PA that was in Zieglers pocket. Why do you think Orr became an agent?

SPARTAKUS*

K215215 said:
Your kidding right? Espo Sittler and Lafleur were continuously ***** and exploited by a bunch of ******* owners and a PA that was in Zieglers pocket. Why do you think Orr became an agent?
Why is it then that almost all the retired players are siding with the owners? If you were an owner I am sure that you would want to make a profit wouldn't you???

Evil Chris

Oct 7, 2003
Montreal
leaflover said:
I'm trying to back Bettman!
Off the edge of a cliff. :)
Seriously as a fan i cannot side with someone thats done so much to hurt the sport i love.
Oh really. Like what?

I live in Montreal and am just as big a fan of the game as anyone. It's money and greed that is ruining this game. I went from being able to purchase tickets in the reds at the old Montreal Forum to the absolute nose-bleeds at the new Centre Molson/Bell.

The true fans are way up top, while the corporate seats are taken down below.
Nowadays it costs me $200+ to take my son to a game, get some snacks for him and a couple of drinks. THAT is hurting the sport.

Evil Chris

Oct 7, 2003
Montreal
OTTSENS said:
Why is it then that almost all the retired players are siding with the owners? If you were an owner I am sure that you would want to make a profit wouldn't you???
This is a fact by the way. By enlarge, retired players support the League, and NOT the NHLPA.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Evil Chris said:
Oh really. Like what?

Nowadays it costs me $200+ to take my son to a game, get some snacks for him and a couple of drinks. THAT is hurting the sport.

And you dont think Bettman is part of the reason?

Evil Chris

Oct 7, 2003
Montreal
leaflover said:
And you dont think Bettman is part of the reason?
No I don't.

Seriously, bring your facts. What has he done to hurt the game? Change a few rules? Play with the goalie's crease size? Allow more Europeans in?

Bring me some real information since you are so convinced. I have only ever seen Bettman trying to improve the game for the sake of the game, and the fans of the game. He has always had to walk a fine line between those people, and the players/owners. Stop buying into the whining player rhetoric. Seriously.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
It is painfully clear that Gary Bettman has done terrible harm to the league under his commissionership in the last 10 years. That being said, it is also clear that Gary is championing the right cause, even if it is for greater financial gain for the owners. The system under which NHL hockey runs is broken and will destroy the league if left unchecked. I support the NHL in their desire to have cost certainty and a hard cap.

That being said, Gary Bettman is a terrible commissioner. If the NHL had a guy like the CFL's Tom Wright the league would be both prosperous and have labour peace. As it is now I think most of the planet will concede that the moment this labour war is over Mr. Bettman should be removed and replaced.

But for now, I support the League and their cause.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Evil Chris said:
No I don't.

Seriously, bring your facts. What has he done to hurt the game? Change a few rules? Play with the goalie's crease size? Allow more Europeans in?

Bring me some real information since you are so convinced. I have only ever seen Bettman trying to improve the game for the sake of the game, and the fans of the game. He has always had to walk a fine line between those people, and the players/owners. Stop buying into the whining player rhetoric. Seriously.

Bettman has overexpanded into non hockey markets,he's failed to address the clutching and grabbing that is killing the game,he rolled over the CBA which is directly responsible for the prices you complain about.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Evil Chris said:

I know that Hockeys finances have to be fixed and I am behind that, But I hate Bettman and I hope that they show him the door as they fix the finacial stuff and get a commishioner that cares about the game.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Evil Chris said:
Oh really. Like what?

I live in Montreal and am just as big a fan of the game as anyone. It's money and greed that is ruining this game. I went from being able to purchase tickets in the reds at the old Montreal Forum to the absolute nose-bleeds at the new Centre Molson/Bell.

That is the same in every city all of the true fans are in the oxygen seats.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Evil Chris said:
Oh really. Like what?

And who are you blaming? I hope not the players. Its the owner who raise the prices. If the NHL puts a cap of 30 million and salries go down 33%....your NOT going to see ticket prices drop. I dont know where people pick this garbage up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad