We might make the playoffs if....

Which players development would have the bigger impact on team success

• Total voters

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
To clarify the question being asked. The hypothetical is to assume that the rest of the team play about as expected. No one makes any significant stride or regression from the players they were last year. With one exception. That exception being the choice you make here. Which one of these three players becoming the player imagined in the descriptions would have the greatest impact on the team next year. Would /or could one of these developments push the team over the playoff hump. Appreciation for the responses so far.

Assuming everything else goes as expected which of these 3 players development brings the team closer to a playoff contender. Also, are we doing the prospect poll this year?

The choices are:

Vasily Podkolzin - Becomes a 20 goal 40 point forechecking monster that can slide up and down the lineup and remain effective. I am thinking 2015 Micheal Ferland and his impact vs the Canucks that year.

Auty Raty - Turns heads in camp and slides into the 3C role. Puts up 20~25 points with no PP time. Capable of matching against some of the leagues best. A mini Manny Maholtra with room for continued growth.

Brock Boeser - Back on track as a 35+ goal guy. Never a defensive stalwart but not a liability either. Fulfills his potential and hovers around a pp game.

Last edited:

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Like next year? Or in general?

Boeser will have the most immediate impact to our short term success and to give us options for trades.

Podkolzin is the guy that we need to develop properly as his skillset is incredibly unique and built for the playoffs.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
USATSI_17738989-scaled.jpg

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Voted Pod.

Pod/Hog/Silovs could all make a legit case.

A strong backup behind a healthy Demko, and playoffs are back on the menu.

If Pod or Hog step up (both of them doing so would be fantastic), the forward depth would be strong behind the top guys.

Boeser will produce like a top 6 forward either way, so I see filling holes in the lineup as more important than squeezing an extra 10-15 points out of BB. Improved Boeser would still be nice though- especially if he got back to being a dangerous shooter.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's not a 'given' that Raty or Podkolzin even make the opening night roster--so it has to be Boeser.

But Canuck success hinges on one player, and one player only--Thatcher Demko. If turns back in to the goalie who played in the bubble, then they've got a shot. But if he's the goalie he was at the start of last season, then they're probably done again.

Reactions: 604

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
If another pandemic pops up and the league lets nearly everyone in the "playoffs" again.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Voted Pod.

Pod/Hog/Silovs could all make a legit case.

A strong backup behind a healthy Demko, and playoffs are back on the menu.

If Pod or Hog step up (both of them doing so would be fantastic), the forward depth would be strong behind the top guys.

Boeser will produce like a top 6 forward either way, so I see filling holes in the lineup as more important than squeezing an extra 10-15 points out of BB. Improved Boeser would still be nice though- especially if he got back to being a dangerous shooter.
Gotta echo this.

Boeser basically played like a mediocre to poor 2nd line winger for a lot of last year. His upside is decent 1st line winger. There's a difference there and it matters, but it's a lot different from the difference between having Podz hit something close to his potential where he's a puck hound who is fantastic at creating space and setting the table for skill players, a forechecking and backchecking puck hound, and a physical presence who harries, exhausts, and frightens opposing defence men into turnovers.

Or Podz could struggle and start the year in the minors.

So it's Boeser going from a 4.5-7.5 out of 10.

Or Podz going from a 0 (minors) to like a 7 out of 10.

For me it's Podz and it's not close.

With that said, I won't be surprised if he needs more seasoning and that won't prompt me to give up on him. I'm bulllish on Podz.

Reactions: bh53 and Deezone

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
A developing Raty and Pod, a rebounding Boeser... none of these are major factors as to whether we're a playoff team next year. That is going to depend on 1. starting goaltending; 2. PK; 3. 5v5 defensive play.

Longer term, developing Pod into a complementary top 6 winger and Raty into a 3C are critically important for any sustained success this team might enjoy due to contract efficiency.

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Tocchet describes Podkolzin’s work ethic as elite and is telling Podz to play more reckless…so the answer is Podz because the moose 🫎 is now on the loose

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
A developing Raty and Pod, a rebounding Boeser... none of these are major factors as to whether we're a playoff team next year. That is going to depend on 1. starting goaltending; 2. PK; 3. 5v5 defensive play.

Longer term, developing Pod into a complementary top 6 winger and Raty into a 3C are critically important for any sustained success this team might enjoy due to contract efficiency.
Well said...The most important thing is that the core group are firing on all cylinders...These are the players that will likely determine if the Canucks get to the post season.

Podz Boeser, and Raty (long shot) are complimentary players to the core group,..A breakthrough by Podz, or a rebound by Boeser would go a long way to helping the team get to the off season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Other teams shit the bed.
Exactly. The only way the Canucks make the playoffs is if some of the teams that finished ahead of them last season, fall back to the rest of the pack.

Could happen. Wouldn't be a shock if the Flames, Jets and Predators all took a step backward this season for a variety of reasons. But I see in the first off-season team power rankings, the Canucks come in at 25th. So they're not getting much love from the hockey pundits.

But if they stay healthy; Demko returns to form; and Pettersson, Hughes and Miller all have big years; then they could at least hang around in the playoff race for most of the season.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
If Beoser makes himself tradable like that, it would do wonders for or playoff chances for years to come.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Exactly. The only way the Canucks make the playoffs is if some of the teams that finished ahead of them last season, fall back to the rest of the pack.

Could happen. Wouldn't be a shock if the Flames, Jets and Predators all took a step backward this season for a variety of reasons. But I see in the first off-season team power rankings, the Canucks come in at 25th. So they're not getting much love from the hockey pundits.

But if they stay healthy; Demko returns to form; and Pettersson, Hughes and Miller all have big years; then they could at least hang around in the playoff race for most of the season.
Thats just the nature of sport.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Probably Boeser.

But the thing that next season hinges on the most is the (probable) Soucy-Hronek pairing.

Yeah. How Soucy/Cole fill in as Top-4D and if Hronek plays like the first half of last year or the last half is the biggest make or break element to this team for next year.

I think what sort of Teddy Bluegers we get is also a big factor. But whether we actually see a significantly improved defence corps or not is the biggest questionmark.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Yeah. How Soucy/Cole fill in as Top-4D and if Hronek plays like the first half of last year or the last half is the biggest make or break element to this team for next year.

I think what sort of Teddy Bluegers we get is also a big factor. But whether we actually see a significantly improved defence corps or not is the biggest questionmark.

Yeah that's a huge component. Once again we have a tonne of turnover so how the team gels early will be a big factor. Good thing with Cole is his experience should allow for a smoother transition than we often see. Of course health is a big factor.

One other huge area of concern is whether we get the Miller's, Boeser's, and other defensively suspect supporting pieces to buy in defensively. They finally did last year but it was far too late.

Hopefully Blueger can bring some responsibility to the entire bottom 6 configuration. If he can be the bones to a good shutdown line and provide top notch penalty killing it will go a long way with this squad.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When you look at this Canuck team, they've already got the basic elements in place to be far better than they've been for the last three seasons.

Pettersson and Miller are two of the better centers in the Western Conference. And Hughes should be in the Norris conversation on the blueline. And when healthy, Demko might be top-five in the NHL.

So they've assembled the 'hard-to-get' pieces down the middle and in goal. The problem has been that Benning could never build out the rest of the roster through decent trades and draft picks; and was forced to blow his brains out on the UFA market year after year.

But assessing the current roster; they've got a nice mix of youth and veterans...who should be hungry after missing the playoffs for the past three seasons.

They're a team that certainly scores enough and has a lethal PP at times. And for stretches of games under Tocchet they proved that can defend as well, if they put their minds to it.

If they can just fix that disastrous PK, on paper there's no reason they can't be in the playoff mix next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad