Post-Game Talk: We might be up to .006% of making he playoffs!

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Shhh It wouldn't surprise me if Holland doesn't give him a deal like that.

No, I am seriously okay with that deal. Tats just turned 26 and it would take up his entire prime. Abby and Helm are both three years older and will break down and obviously not as talented

I'm not sure how to feel about Jensen getting 23 minutes and essentially playing as the #1 D-man.
Absolutely good on the guy, he's bought himself a nice pay rise and has been very solid. But it's an indictment on the remainder of the defense that a rookie has stepped in and taken on a significant role.

How many times tonight though did I hear Nick Jensen got absolutely rocked.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Haha I knew the score beforehand but had to watch the replay to find out how this went down. Detroit was actually slightly outplayed. If not for Howard and Colorado's tankmaster Captain Picard this could have been a 2-1 loss instead.

I like the Avalanche. They compete hard and play one of the most physical games in the NHL. May be too physical...like at the wrong times. Overall they're a young team I can understand why they didn't blow it up at the deadline. They have some good pieces- Colborn, Andrighetto, Barberio, Compher, etc. Johnson and Barrie making 6 and 5 mil each is crazy though. Interested what they try to do in the offseason, 1st thing is get a quality coach.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
No, I am seriously okay with that deal. Tats just turned 26 and it would take up his entire prime. Abby and Helm are both three years older and will break down and obviously not as talented.

I know it's a guarantee Tatar will be back but I think it stinks. I don't see the point. Do I have a better option? Not off the top of my head. May be a guy that's not as small and one-dimensional for starters. I'll take a younger 15 goal scorer who has more of an impact in games and room to grow. Now if we get rid of Nyquist somehow that's a different story.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Haha I knew the score beforehand but had to watch the replay to find out how this went down. Detroit was actually slightly outplayed. If not for Howard and Colorado's tankmaster Captain Picard this could have been a 2-1 loss instead.

I like the Avalanche. They compete hard and play one of the most physical games in the NHL. May be too physical...like at the wrong times. Overall they're a young team I can understand why they didn't blow it up at the deadline. They have some good pieces- Colborn, Andrighetto, Barberio, Compher, etc. Johnson and Barrie making 6 and 5 mil each is crazy though. Interested what they try to do in the offseason, 1st thing is get a quality coach.

Bro, what?

Joe Colborne has 4 goals on the season. He scored 3 goals during the first game of the season. He had 19G 44P last year for the Flames. He's also 27. Are we talking about Mark Barberio? Wasn't he a depth defense in Hamilton this season? I don't even remember him being dealt to Colorado. He's there because their D are injured and suck.

Tyson Barrie is a 45-50 point guy and is 25 years old. He may not be great defensively but that warrants 5M AVV easily.

I like Erik Johnson a lot actually. More so a 30 point D that is a great skater and logs huge minutes. I think of him as a number two. 6M AAV isn't far off.

Those two are not problems. If you're looking at problems, think the weak tending they've gotten (the year they made the playoffs it was elite), the ****** depth up front, top performers underperforming (Landeskog is under .50 PPG, MacKinnon should be further along, Soderberg completely fell off, Duchene has been bad) and again, **** D depth.

Patrick Roy saw all the holes and bounced. How did Sven Andrighetto end up in Colorado again?

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I know it's a guarantee Tatar will be back but I think it stinks. I don't see the point. Do I have a better option? Not off the top of my head. May be a guy that's not as small and one-dimensional for starters. I'll take a younger 15 goal scorer who has more of an impact in games and room to grow. Now if we get rid of Nyquist somehow that's a different story.

Not sure what you want from Tommy Tats. He needs to be more consistent but once he found chemistry with Zetterberg he's been fantastic. He's had chemistry with Datsyuk in the past, and Sheahan. He can play on any of the top three lines and perform. In four seasons he's been a 20 goal scorer each year (19 in 70GP Y1 FYI). Second on the team in points this season, third last year, third the year prior, and sixth his first NHL season.

He's worth 4M easily long-term. He's not our issue. We have other issues.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm judging from the last 2 games vs. the Wings for whatever that's worth (probably not much). Barberio was by far their best defenseman, he stood out almost every shift. Kind of like Jensen for the Wings. I didn't know Colborne had such a terrible year but yes I liked him a lot in Calgary. I'd prefer him over Sheahan. Andreghetto is not some major piece but he also played well these games and even a guy like that at age 23 has a much better chance than say Jurco. Barrie and Johnson are proving to be overrated IMO. You can't pay that type of cash to 5 supposed stars when the job isn't getting done.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Lol, just checked nhl.com and our second leading goalscorer AA still has less average TOI than Sheahan over the season.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Colborne, Ghetto, Compher and Barberio are all fringe players and waiver fodder.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Aa is being played like a 3rd/4th liner and mantha is being played like a 2nd/3rd liner

Maybe when Mantha is playing at a first line level again he'll be back up there. I have absolutely no complaints with the first line over the last few games.... Well other than they're playing too well and gaining points. We need to stop playing the other bad teams.

Not sure what you want from Tommy Tats. He needs to be more consistent but once he found chemistry with Zetterberg he's been fantastic. He's had chemistry with Datsyuk in the past, and Sheahan. He can play on any of the top three lines and perform. In four seasons he's been a 20 goal scorer each year (19 in 70GP Y1 FYI). Second on the team in points this season, third last year, third the year prior, and sixth his first NHL season.

He's worth 4M easily long-term. He's not our issue. We have other issues.

Failure makes people say crazy things.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I seriously had a dream last night where the goalie made a gaffe and Sheahan was able to fire the puck into a wide open net. And I was disappointed that his streak ended.

It's a weird time for me as a Wings fan.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
I seriously had a dream last night where the goalie made a gaffe and Sheahan was able to fire the puck into a wide open net. And I was disappointed that his streak ended.

It's a weird time for me as a Wings fan.

Have you considered getting professional help?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Maybe we can get in because another team looses like last year yeay!!

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Colborne, Ghetto, Compher and Barberio are all fringe players and waiver fodder.

They aren't world beaters who can single-handed take on the Washington Capitals but I disagree they're waiver fodder. JT Compher had 63 pts in 38 games his last year at Michigan. Dude is 21 years old. Did you know Barberio had 172 points in 271 AHL games? He hasn't put it all together in the NHL but for a 6th round pick he's looking a hell of a lot better than Kindl. How many years did we waste on Jurco, Pulkkinen, Kindl, Smith, Emmerton, Andersson by the way?

Not trying to make a huge statement here just that when Colorado whipped the Wings 3-1 I was surprised by the performance of these castaways. But we like our team, right? Glendening, Miller, Ott, Nyquist, Sheahan, Helm, Abdelkader, Richards (oops I forgot he retired), Athanasiou, Larkin, Ouellet, Jensen...such amazing, sparkling hockey.

This leads back to the topic of Tatar. It's crazy to be tired of watching Tomas Tatar? Just because a player was drafted to my team doesn't mean I have to worship him or Holland like a painted idol. He's small, afraid, too frantic, and loses way more battles than he wins. What kills me is remembering him and Nyquist in the PO's getting pawned by the likes of Palat, Kucherov, Killorn, etc. Worst was being swallowed alive in 5 games by the Bruins.

There are 276 OTHER UFA this year I don't see the harm in considering another player to take on instead. The most obvious decision isn't always best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad