We may see Crosby lining up against Kessel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Two top 87's could face each other down the road in the tourney. Crosby is playing on one of Canada's top lines and Kessel is playing on one Team USA's top lines with Fritsche. They played almost exclusively against Ovechkin so if they meet up with Canada you can expect to see them matched up against Bergie, Crosby and Perry. It would be interesting to see two of the top 87's in the world matched up against each other on the wing. I don't think they have ever played against each other.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
I have only seem highlites and glimpses of Kessel, but does he even stack up to Crosby? Sure, he may be good but after all the hype (even from 99 and 66) I have a hard time believing that Kessel is on the same page as Crosby as a prospect right now.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.

I was under the impression Kessel was an '88 or 2006 draft eligible? He is actually an '87 and eligible this year? Weird...guess that bumps Brule's stock down a spot, haven't seen Kessel in any top 10 predictions though...are you sure he's an '87 and 17-years-old?

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
salostyle said:
I was under the impression Kessel was an '88 or 2006 draft eligible? He is actually an '87 and eligible this year? Weird...guess that bumps Brule's stock down a spot, haven't seen Kessel in any top 10 predictions though...are you sure he's an '87 and 17-years-old?

Kessel is a late ´87 so he´ll be eligible 2006. The big 3 in 2006 draft r kessel, joensuu and frolik. However Kessel isn´t close to crosby. crosby is maybe the best talent since lemieux.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
I watched both of them on Saturday and will watch both games live today as well. After the first round games i would say crosby is the better of the two hands down. Kessel looked good but he is not built as good as Crosby.So right now i would have to say Crosby-Kessel match up would be a fun one to watch.As far as the gold medal game i would say USAvsCanada rematch looks like the best bet. :yo:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Kessel isn't as good as Crosby but who is? Kessel would however have to be in the running for second best '87 forward. He's got flaws but from a pure skill perspective he is very good.

Also, Kessel and Crosby have played against each other a number of times when they were younger, particularly when Crosby was at S-SM and Kessel was with the Madison Capitols Midget AAA team.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
While Crosby is obviously the better player, it would be fun to see these two guys line up as they are the best prospects their respective countries have seen in years. In a tournament like this, either player could end up coming out on top with his team behind him.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
cagney said:
Kessel isn't as good as Crosby but who is? Kessel would however have to be in the running for second best '87 forward. He's got flaws but from a pure skill perspective he is very good.

Better than Brule???.....how about Cogliano or Bertram?? Brock Bradford maybe?? They all outscored Kessel at the U17 World Hockey Challenge last December at this time.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I haven't seen the players you mention enough to feel confident comparing them to him but if you're going to mention success at a tournament I'd say that what Kessel did at last year's U18s (7 goals and 3 assists) is more impressive than anything the others have done so far. I can't speak about Brule but in NCAA hockey circles Kessel is more highly rergarded than Bertam, Cogliano, and Bradford.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
cagney said:
I haven't seen the players you mention enough to feel confident comparing them to him but if you're going to mention success at a tournament I'd say that what Kessel did at last year's U18s (7 goals and 3 assists) is more impressive than anything the others have done so far. I can't speak about Brule but in NCAA hockey circles Kessel is more highly rergarded than Bertam, Cogliano, and Bradford.

Well, none of Bertram, Cogliano or Bradford were in that tourney so how can you compare Kessel's stats in that tourney, when the other 3 or even Crosby for that matter were not at the tourney?

As for Bertram, he is in the NCAA already and having a pretty decent year. Why is Kessel not playing NCAA yet?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
HabLover said:
Well, none of Bertram, Cogliano or Bradford were in that tourney so how can you compare Kessel's stats in that tourney, when the other 3 or even Crosby for that matter were not at the tourney?

As for Bertram, he is in the NCAA already and having a pretty decent year. Why is Kessel not playing NCAA yet?

Bertram is 9 months older than Kessel. He's having an okay year, but he's not on the level that Kessel is.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:

Because he's not old enough? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
HabLover said:
Oh my god, 9 months :eek:

If they were 2 or 3 years old then that might be an argument. :dunce:

9 months is a full school year, thus he's already in the NCAA. Doesn't matter anyway, Bertram isn't on Kessel's level. Cut out the Jingoism.

Makarov

Jun 10, 2002
Montreal, QC
Visit site
Kessel has looked good in both games he played, certainly among the most noticible players on the American sqaud for all the good reason...

Regardless, its difficult to judge his play since the Russian defense corp played far below par, and though the Swiss played good team defense initially, their defensive play was horrendous later on...

He has good skill with the puck and terrific speed, but if he keeps trying the toe-drag or inside-outside move on guys like Phaneuf or Barker, he'll get plastered each and every time, just ask Malkin...

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Makarov said:
Kessel has looked good in both games he played, certainly among the most noticible players on the American sqaud for all the good reason...

Regardless, its difficult to judge his play since the Russian defense corp played far below par, and though the Swiss played good team defense initially, their defensive play was horrendous later on...

He has good skill with the puck and terrific speed, but if he keeps trying the toe-drag or inside-outside move on guys like Phaneuf or Barker, he'll get plastered each and every time, just ask Malkin...

hmm, I've seen Maccarthur do that move on Barker before...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad