Post-Game Talk: We have no Issues with Quick... Jones on the Other Hand.. 2-0 Leafs Lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Exactly. Seriously, I'm curious to know if there is even one star player that has signed a contract that is clearly less than market value? And I'm not talking about guys who sign 8 year contracts that seem like good bang for the buck 5 years down the line. Obviously when you sign a long-term deal you trade future potential getting guaranteed money in return and Doughty surely had the option of signing for 3-4 years only and getting more later - funny how nobody seems to want to do that. :laugh:

The only player that comes to
mind is Sidney Crosvy at 8.7 cap hit

He could be getting 11/12 per if he wanted. That's the only one that I can truly think of

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Corsi was around 50% for most of his stay there.

In the last couple seasons (he was there for nearly a decade) it went down, not really that surprising: Bad Possession = Team Playing Bad = Coach Fired.

He's gone. He's done. Do we need to hear every game about what a horrible coach he was? Kind of cuts into the Burke Debate time...

Yeah...you're wrong about his Corsi rating in Anaheim - particularly score-adjusted.

How long are you going to keep hearing about it? I don't know. How long will people continue to pretend like his system didn't set this team back?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The only player that comes to
mind is Sidney Crosvy at 8.7 cap hit

He could be getting 11/12 per if he wanted. That's the only one that I can truly think of

Well, yeah maybe Sid, depends how you look at it. The cap hit on him is 8.7 but that's only because he gets paid only 3 million a year the last 3 years and the avg salary for the first 9 years is over 10 million. So if he retires before the end, he makes out quite well. But then again, yeah maybe he keeps playing, no way to know for sure I guess. But for the moment, Sid at 8.7 million cap hit a year must be the biggest bargain in hockey.

I can't think of anyone else either. Players let their agents to the work and everybody pretty much gets market value. Doughty got market value, Kessel, Phaneuf, Toews and Kane got market value and Kopitar will more than likely get market value when that deal gets done.

Bluejaysfan*

Heard Dreger on the radio going on how he was not impressed with the Leafs game and that they only had a few shots against the Kings. I read that as his inside source Dave Nonis was a supporter behind Carlyle and may pay the price for it soon.

Nonis needs to stop eating donuts and resign as GM...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Corsi was around 50% for most of his stay there.

In the last couple seasons (he was there for nearly a decade) it went down, not really that surprising: Bad Possession = Team Playing Bad = Coach Fired.

He drove that team into the ground, and their awful possession turned around the instant he was replaced. Much like is happening here.

He's gone. He's done. Do we need to hear every game about what a horrible coach he was? Kind of cuts into the Burke Debate time...

you're gonna hear about as long as people keep judging this team's talent based on their play under randy.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I'm just pointing out that when he signed, he got what was market value at the time. Weren't you claiming that his contract was "team friendly"?

During 2011 the salary cap was 64.3 million. In 2013 the cap was 64.3 million. Pardon my ignorance but what exactly differentiates Doughty's salary from Kessel's? Aren't they both at market value since the salary cap was the same at both points in time?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
During 2011 the salary cap was 64.3 million. In 2013 the cap was 64.3 million. Pardon my ignorance but what exactly differentiates Doughty's salary from Kessel's? Aren't they both at market value since the salary cap was the same at both points in time?

What I'd look at, is what the top d-men were paid at the time. I don't know but I'm guessing Doughty signed a contract that made him one of the top 5. Am I wrong?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Doughty was a RFA, Kessel was an UFA .. Not comparable situations

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Could Horachek have possibly been brought in at a worse time for him? Two hugely streaking Eastern teams and the Western trip from hell.
And yet people complain because the new coach is 1-2? Or whatever it will be after this trip.
The schedule is easier after this trip and he should be given an adjustment period playing a new (and very different) system and all. That said, the immediate defensive improvement is a total indictment on Fatso and on Shanahan for keeping him around that long. I hope that's a lesson to Shanny, a flat tire is a flat tire no matter how long you stare at it.

I agree the timing is bad. We most liikely return home for a bit under .500 for the trip, but they have to keep playing this system this, fashion, and eventually the poor teams will be defeated.

Can we extend our win streak against the Ducks to 7?

Tyler Biggs*

Pretty even game actually. Leafs are making strides, it'll take a while.

A loss, but we played with heart. Proud to be a fan today.

Last edited by a moderator:

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
He drove that team into the ground, and their awful possession turned around the instant he was replaced. Much like is happening here.

you're gonna hear about as long as people keep judging this team's talent based on their play under randy.

I'd wait for a larger sample size before getting too excited. People were saying the same things after Wilson was fired.

Tyler Biggs*

Complain all you want but the fact is the Leafs played the champs on almost equal footing, that's an enormous improvement and I'd take that kind of effort every single day of the week!

Tyler Biggs*

Despite the loss, this really shows how much the Leafs have changed defensively, look at the shots on our net compared to a month ago.

One of Leafs best efforts of the season for the Leafs. Tough loss. LA played an excellent game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad