Pre-Game Talk: We Don't Play Until Next Month... And It's Outdoors! | Leafs @ Caps | March 3rd

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Scott Wheeler
@scottcwheeler

Interesting tidbit from Keefe about playing high-event hockey like today. Says he doesn’t mind it at all, though this Marlies team isn’t built to play with the speed Syracuse does. Happy to play run and gun on the counter though. A different tone to Babcock, at least a little

Now thats a coach that knows the kind of style the team needs to play.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
nope, but that shouldn't matter. Our powerplay percentage is still only 21st
Of course it matters, the amount of goals is a direct result of the amount of chances. If they were 26th and had the most chances that would be a huge concern, if they've had the least amount of chances it's not as worrisome.

The 21st ranking does need to get better though.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
But before that is was really good though wasn't it? Maybe it's just the ebs and flows of the season, or maybe other teams figured it out. From what I can tell our first unit has kept on trucking along but our second unit has gone dry. Personally I think it would be good to put Matthews in front of the net and let him bang home rebounds and tips.
I think it's worse than just ebs and flows at this point. it's been going on for months. The best teams stack their first powerplay and we should do it now so it's comfortable for the playoffs

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
did you guys know we've scored the 26th most powerplay goals in the league since December first? It's pathetic nothing has been changed with regards to our powerplay. it's trash

That's mostly Matthews and Nylander's doing, the first unit is too good to switch up.

PPs are weird though, last year Nylander and Matthews did really well on it. This year, they still generate some good chances but the results aren't there.

I'd keep the first PP the same and have this for the second one.

Tried to draw this up but it didn't work!

I'd have Kapanen, Marleau, Matthews, Nylander and Gardiner.

And much like how the first PP only goes through Marner, have this one only go through Nylander.

OR

Do what all the other top PP teams are doing and heavily front load the first one I.E

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
JVR
Rielly/Gardiner

Play the big three about 3 mins each, switch JVR with Marleau, Kadri etc when it comes up.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know how many goals Ovechkin is away from 600 for his career so let's hope it does not come against us.

Also hopefully the trend continues where the home teams usually loses the outdoor games and the Leafs can win.

Finally let's hope for this time outdoors the Leafs can score the first goal and won't go into overtime or a shootout like we saw in the Winter Classic and Centennial Classic.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Here's hoping this will be the last outdoor game the Leafs ever play.

they aren't interesting hockey what so ever. In fact I think teams who are already out of the playoffs should be the ones to play them. Arizona barely gets fans as is but if they played a hockey game outdoors (its likely way too hot to have a game there unfortunately) they would get fans through the door. Ottawa, Montreal, buffalo Edmonton these teams should get the outdoor games don't make the high skill playoffs teams play a game that isn't close to NHL hockey.

Reactions: ACC1224

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
they aren't interesting hockey what so ever. In fact I think teams who are already out of the playoffs should be the ones to play them. Arizona barely gets fans as is but if they played a hockey game outdoors (its likely way too hot to have a game there unfortunately) they would get fans through the door. Ottawa, Montreal, buffalo Edmonton these teams should get the outdoor games don't make the high skill playoffs teams play a game that isn't close to NHL hockey.
Buffalo just hosted the 2018 Winter Classic because it was the 10th anniversary since they hosted the very first one.

Ottawa and Montreal just played outdoors in Ottawa during the NHL 100 Classic this past December.

Last season Edmonton played in Winnipeg during the Heritage Classic.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Buffalo just hosted the 2018 Winter Classic because it was the 10th anniversary since they hosted the very first one.

Ottawa and Montreal just played outdoors in Ottawa during the NHL 100 Classic this past December.

Last season Edmonton played in Winnipeg during the Heritage Classic.

let them all play outside every week, I don't want the leafs in one ever again. They suck so much

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
let them all play outside every week, I don't want the leafs in one ever again. They suck so much
At least the Leafs have a 2-0-0 record in outdoor games.

However after Saturday I would be surprised if they play in another outdoor game in the near future, unless Rogers wants them in the Heritage Classic which is the one outdoor game they have not played in.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
did you guys know we've scored the 26th most powerplay goals in the league since December first? It's pathetic nothing has been changed with regards to our powerplay. it's trash

46VrJV.png

Still middle of the pack but a far cry from the top 3 it was all season. Its time to take Bozak off the top unit and reshuffle both units.

PP1: JVR Kadri Marner Nylander Rielly
PP2: Marleau Bozak Kapanen Brown Gards

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Oh no! Incoming hat trick! Book it! :facepalm:

I really hope not! :shakehead
It has happened before. When Mats Sundin was at 497 career goals he scored a hat trick to reach 500 for his career. I was even there to see it live.

So let's hope this is something Ovechkin can not get and maybe the conditions will make it harder.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
you don't have to unblock. just hit "show ignored content"
but you really aren't missing much.

no that's what I did, worded it wrong just clicked show ignore. No surprises there. His arguments go around in circles and goalposts shift so far there is no point engaging him

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Practices outside tomorrow cancelled due to dangerous winds in case any of you coming down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad