Post-Game Talk: WE DID IT! Leafs Beat the Habs 4-3 in OT

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I found watching that game last night that the Leafs were playing not to lose. They weren't skating like they normally do and really seemed to be doing a LOT of thinking rather than just playing. I think now that that dumb streak is taken care of, next game vs Habs will be what we all want to see... speed and skill.

I am not sure I expected Matthews to be this far ahead of every other player on this roster (save for Nylander maybe), but holy smokes this guy is something else. I think I still am having problems actually believing he is on our team lol. I would by lying if I didn't say I was a little concerned over Marner... looks lost as his little tricks don't result in much other than turnovers, though he was much better last night.

Moving forward I think defensive play still has to tighten way up, and I think Andersen needs to find a way to have better starts to games. Other than that, at 4-1 and playing some games we prob should not have won I am satisfied.

I think @Trapper said it best. they were playing like a team who were told to play better defensive hockey and they thought that's what it meant.

i'm truly not concerned about our goaltending (until November), and the team (until NEXT Saturday) as I feel that this could be Andersen acting like Luongo (crap Octobers, but gets better and better, and then you're like "wait, he had a bad October) and the way the team needs to play takes some time to really get cohesive. I firmly think that just like last year once the Leafs get over the hump of re-adjusting to Babcock's system (and adjusting to the pressure/demands) they''ll be clicking

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I know we won but I am still upset at the non call on Plekanec for slashing Nylander twice on that winning play. How the f*** do they miss two whacks on Nylander while he clearly has an advantage and a 2 on 1. Then they go around calling soft penalties on Bozak and Kadri while Marner being held on Drouin’s goal is missed.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I know Babs won't do it, but I'd love to see Brown and Leo switch places 5 on 5. Komarov hasn't been great in my eyes so far and I think Brown makes that line far more dangerous.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I know Babs won't do it, but I'd love to see Brown and Leo switch places 5 on 5. Komarov hasn't been great in my eyes so far and I think Brown makes that line far more dangerous.

But why wouldn't he do it? the 4th line is no threat no matter who is on it. Brown will score 12 goals, tops, is he is playing with the 4th liners all season long. 8 or 9 of those will be on the PP anyway.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Salary aside, Komarov would make a terrific 4th line C.

What do you want from that player? Good defensive ability, win faceoffs, play with energy and PK.

Wont happen but he'd excel in a role like that.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Are you serious ? This guy is still learning the NHL and is going to get stronger and more dominant.
Don't think he is, it was some stupid comment said anti-Leafs/Laine fanboys that because Matthews is already so well rounded, he can't get better

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Ugly win but an ugly win is worth as much as a pretty win.

Is it just me or was the puck bouncing a lot yesterday?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Big win against the habs. Break the curse.

Positives:
-Matthews is a f***ing beast
-top line doing well
-timely scoring
-Andersen bounce back game. Wasnt amazing but still good.
-JVR and Marleau providing much needed offense in tight games
-zaitsev back in form

Negatives
-man handled physically
-bozak and marner terrible
-kadri and komarov not involved enough
-defense has trouble along the boards and puck recovery

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Borgman was really good tonight imo. He is better then Rosen so far. He's better then Carrick as well.

Not last night. Carrick was better player on that pair and as puck mover he is better than Borgman anyway. He is more polished and more valuable for us. Borgman may get there one day, but not quite yet.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I found watching that game last night that the Leafs were playing not to lose. They weren't skating like they normally do and really seemed to be doing a LOT of thinking rather than just playing. I think now that that dumb streak is taken care of, next game vs Habs will be what we all want to see... speed and skill.

It's hard to skate when you're given no space to make plays. Montreal was all over the Leafs in the neutral zone and gave them no space to make break out passes. This is the reason why the Leafs had very little sustained zone time, and the game had no flow. The Habs also dominated the puck along the boards and killed the Leafs attempts at cycling the puck (with the exception of the Matthews line). The Bozak line barely touched the puck because the only one who is willing to go into the corners in Marner, and he's too small to be effective there. Bozak will literally pull up so he doesn't have to engage in a puck battle along the boards. He definitely learned trick from his good buddy Phil.

Hopefully this isn't the playbook for opposing teams going forward, because the Leafs definitely struggled creating offense 5 vs 5 with all of the neutral zone pressure.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
while Marner being held on Drouin’s goal is missed.

Yes. This is what I wanted to point out too. Some posters here over-analyzed that episode on how JVR "missed" Drouin, Bozak and Mo out of position, etc. Well, that would happen to you when one of your players is completely taken out of the play by blatant hold/grab. Refs let them play this game and did not call many penalties (positive), but when hold affects the play that much you should call that, because you can feel it will end up in the net.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
It feels so good to beat those filthy cement heads. I guess Julien is coaching there again because he was the only french coach available. Traded for Drouin, cause he was french. Drafting Louis Leblanc, cause he's french.

What a discriminatory franchise.

Matthews made Price look BITCH twice. BITCH. They better get used to losing to us.

HAHAHA!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad