We can face 1 of 5 teams. Rank them!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
for the life of me I still have no clue how to figure out who we are potentially playing but for me, I don`t like going up vs teams playing with house money and that`s the Caps/Flyers, I want the Bolts

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
for the life of me I still have no clue how to figure out who we are potentially playing but for me, I don`t like going up vs teams playing with house money and that`s the Caps/Flyers, I want the Bolts
It's looking like the Bolts. I don't think you will see much movement with the 8 games left.
I believe the Eastern Conference is set other that Philly , Caps and Det jockeying for WC2 and 3rd in Metro

Reactions: ODAAT

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Realistically in round 1 we can face Tampa, Philly, Washington, Detroit, or Toronto.

From teams I most want to face to least:

1. Washington
2. Philly
3. Detroit
4. Toronto
5. Tampa (want them the least)
1.philly
2.toronto
3.washington
4.detroit
5.tampa

thats my choice who I would want to face first to last

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Sadly the Tampa matchup just keeps getting stronger. It's to the point now where we want them to lap Toronto so we can get the Leafs.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Any team. If you are worried about who you are facing in the first round then you aren't going to advance very far.

And yet, the Vegas odds makers use exactly that in the model to determine cup equity. A bad draw is a bad draw. See World Cup Soccer.

Getting one softer round is useful.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
And how did that work out last year? There is no such thing as a "softer" round.

Florida was not the "soft" round. Florida was injured and underperformed all year, and once they got healthy they were themselves. That Florida team was largely the same team that finished 1st the year before. I know you know this.

I would actually argue that that WAS the bad draw. Almost any other matchup worked better for us last year. We specifically needed to avoid Florida.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Just avoid Vasilievsky in the 1st round. He won't crack 55 appearances this year and will be pretty fresh in the early part of the playoffs. I don't care about the rest of their roster but an early match-up against him right now is terrifying.

I'm also fine not playing the Leafs in Round 1. Not because the Bruins should fear them, but whenever they play a Canadian team in the playoffs its magnified on a entirely different level from a media perspective and you'll never convince me that it doesn't impact how the games are officiated. Those refs feels the intense scrutiny too and you end up with long series and 50/50 officiating rather than just calling what they see.

Detroit shouldn't be an issue but for whatever reason these Bruins seem to struggle against them.

Washington has the Tom Wilson factor. They are beatable no doubt but how many Bruins will Wilson injure taking runs at guys before the series is over and limp into Round 2. Coming off his latest suspension I suspect he's going to take his brand of violence to another level come playoff time.

Philly shouldn't be concerning but regardless of Tortorella's showmanship, he seems able to get his teams to buy-in come playoff time and typically prove to be tough outs.

In a 32-team league where 16 teams make the playoffs, your not getting an easy match-up in the 1st round anymore no matter how you slice it. That 7th or 8th seed no matter who it is are a quality squad.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Florida was not the "soft" round. Florida was injured and underperformed all year, and once they got healthy they were themselves. That Florida team was largely the same team that finished 1st the year before. I know you know this.

I would actually argue that that WAS the bad draw. Almost any other matchup worked better for us last year. We specifically needed to avoid Florida.
Most in here were picking a sweep of Florida. The only time you can point to a round as soft is after the fact.

Either way I will stick to my original point that if a team is more worried about one team over another come round 1 then they aren't going far.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Just avoid Vasilievsky in the 1st round. He won't crack 55 appearances this year and will be pretty fresh in the early part of the playoffs. I don't care about the rest of their roster but an early match-up against him right now is terrifying.

I'm also fine not playing the Leafs in Round 1. Not because the Bruins should fear them, but whenever they play a Canadian team in the playoffs its magnified on a entirely different level from a media perspective and you'll never convince me that it doesn't impact how the games are officiated. Those refs feels the intense scrutiny too and you end up with long series and 50/50 officiating rather than just calling what they see.

Detroit shouldn't be an issue but for whatever reason these Bruins seem to struggle against them.

Washington has the Tom Wilson factor. They are beatable no doubt but how many Bruins will Wilson injure taking runs at guys before the series is over and limp into Round 2. Coming off his latest suspension I suspect he's going to take his brand of violence to another level come playoff time.

Philly shouldn't be concerning but regardless of Tortorella's showmanship, he seems able to get his teams to buy-in come playoff time and typically prove to be tough outs.

In a 32-team league where 16 teams make the playoffs, your not getting an easy match-up in the 1st round anymore no matter how you slice it. That 7th or 8th seed no matter who it is are a quality squad.

I'm working on the math of avoiding Vasi. But it's not great. The next Rangers wins and Leaf wins or Bolts loses almost lock us.

Reactions: BruinDust

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Most in here were picking a sweep of Florida. The only time you can point to a round as soft is after the fact.

Either way I will stick to my original point that if a team is more worried about one team over another come round 1 then they aren't going far.

Most wanted Linus traded and suddenly want him starting the playoffs. Most people don't know what they're talking about. Fwiw I had no issue trading Linus for the right deal (but there was no right deal).

I picked Bruins in 7 vs Florida. My vote is still there. That was a putrid draw for us. That wasn't an "8th place" team.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Most wanted Linus traded and suddenly want him starting the playoffs. Most people don't know what they're talking about. Fwiw I had no issue trading Linus for the right deal (but there was no right deal).

I picked Bruins in 7 vs Florida. My vote is still there.
Sorry that most posters aren't as smart as you.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Sorry that most posters aren't as smart as you.

I'm not saying I'm smart. But if you check the Heinen, JVR, Geekie, Boqvist, Coyle, Zacha, etc etc. threads, you'll see I was immediately on board. Same with Linus.

So let's say I'm at least sane. We get a lot of wacky takes in here.

One wacky take is that there are no soft matchups. Not true. We saw the Habs in the bubble prove my point.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm working on the math of avoiding Vasi. But it's not great. The next Rangers wins and Leaf wins or Bolts loses almost lock us.

Only thing going for avoiding Vasilievsky is TB's schedule the final 7 games looks to be in their favor. Their final B2B game is tonight against the Habs. CBJ, Ottawa and Buffalo in 3 of their final 6 games.

Knowing the hockey gods, it will probably come down to that final Wednesday night TB-Tor game on the 17th before we know for certain.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Only thing going for avoiding Vasilievsky is TB's schedule the final 7 games looks to be in their favor. Their final B2B game is tonight against the Habs. CBJ, Ottawa and Buffalo in 3 of their final 6 games.

Knowing the hockey gods, it will probably come down to that final Wednesday night TB-Tor game on the 17th before we know for certain.

The tiebreaks for Tor-TB are wild too. May come down to the 5th tie break by then.

Reactions: BruinDust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad