Salary Cap: We are looking for nuclear Kessels. And whales. Beam me up, Scotty Bowman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Man, this board loves to hold on to traumatic trade moments. Do you guys cry every time someone mentions Markus Naslund too? :laugh: Jesus. Jagr watch was as much about Jagr being the ******* everyone else but us Pens fans knew he was than it was Philly. It's your own damn faults for believing Jardo on anything beyond his own immediate financial interests and ego.

I still have my Zubov shrine and a lock of Kovalev's hair ...

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Hextal has a lot more important things to do (like icing a quality hockey team) than screwing over the Pens whenever he gets the chance. The tin foil hats are coming out to justify the Flyers going after Kessel.

There is no tin hats. I said it would't surprise me if he could do both in the same trade. Why wouldn't he go after a quality player if he can make it work? The screwing over the rival would just be "icing on the cake".

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Madden made an interesting observation yesterday. He said that the pens have the most expensive third pairing d in the league.

It's not like this team is stacked on the blue line. Scuderi wouldn't start for a lot of teams.

This is very discouraging.

The Pens would probably be dumping scuderi to toronto in a kessel trade if they make one, so the "most expensive third pairing" is only existent at this particular offseason moment. Also there's a good chance Cole plays second pairing minutes this season

DJ Kariyaaa

Downie Fan Club
Jan 17, 2010
IC said it happens today, or the Kessel deal falls through.

If it falls through, I just really really really really hope GMJR has a sufficient back up plan to fix our top 6. I can't watch another year of the same garbage.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

He could have just said Kessel from the start, it was blatantly obvious that this was about him.

If I'm JR I tell Toronto to make their best deal now or I am moving on. I really don't see how the Leafs get a better offer by waiting. The Penguins don't HAVE to get Kessel. They can overpay for Frolik and sign MSL to a one year deal. I don't want to do that, but they could do it. The number of teams that can actually afford Kessel, want Kessel, is not Kessel NTC list are few. They really are in a bind here in my opinion.

penguins2946*

There is no tin hats. I said it would't surprise me if he could do both in the same trade. Why wouldn't he go after a quality player if he can make it work? The screwing over the rival would just be "icing on the cake".

Because Kessel isn't at all needed in Philly. They're rebuilding right now and they need an upgrade on D (and to let their great D prospect pool develop). Kessel doesn't fit where they're at right now. A 23 year old left wing Kessel would, but not Kessel now.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
I feel like Hextall is far enough divorced from the old Flyers' front office's "big splash" mentality that it's not an issue. In his most significant deal since taking over, he sold off the biggest piece in Coburn rather than try and make a dumb deal to add pieces in a lost season.

That's not to say that they don't kick the tires on Kessel or at least try to drive his price up. But I think a lot of the old Flyers tendencies don't apply any more. That's a credit to Hextall, who I think has them on the right track.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
So let me get this straight, there has not been one single remotely reputable source linking Philly and Kessel, but the past three pages have been about Philly getting him because a fake Twitter account said so?

penguins2946*

Frolik and Oshie would be my backup plans. Wary of Skinner.

Oshie is without a doubt the backup plan to Kessel. If they bring in Oshie instead of Kessel, they'd still have enough cap space to also bring in Frolik probably.

If I'm JR I tell Toronto to make their best deal now or I am moving on. I really don't see how the Leafs get a better offer by waiting. The Penguins don't HAVE to get Kessel. They can overpay for Frolik and sign MSL to a one year deal. I don't want to do that, but they could do it. The number of teams that can actually afford Kessel, want Kessel, is not Kessel NTC list are few. They really are in a bind here in my opinion.

Yeah, I don't want this turning into the Nash saga. Either give us Kessel today or we'll trade Sutter for Oshie.

So let me get this straight, there has not been one single remotely reputable source linking Philly and Kessel, but the past three pages have been about Philly getting him because a fake Twitter account said so?

Yeah because Philly wants nothing more than to screw the Pens over apparently.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Leafs won't retain and take cap dumps, and we need the dumps more than the retention.
We can also dump Scuderi somewhere else. Can't get someone else to retain kessels salary. If it's a question of dumping Scuderi to the leafs or having the leafs retain $2 million of Kessel's salary, you take Leafs retaining $2 million every time.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I feel like Hextall is far enough divorced from the old Flyers' front office's "big splash" mentality that it's not an issue. In his most significant deal since taking over, he sold off the biggest piece in Coburn rather than try and make a dumb deal to add pieces in a lost season.

That's not to say that they don't kick the tires on Kessel or at least try to drive his price up. But I think a lot of the old Flyers tendencies don't apply any more. That's a credit to Hextall, who I think has them on the right track.

At the very least they could drive up the price.

But I don't believe for a second that Hextall lost his old Flyer tendencies. I have seen too much of his playing days for that to ever be true in my book.

Do you actually believe he was brought in only because of his GM abilities?

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

C'mon man ... it's Philly. Would it surprise you if they jumped in just to drive the price up?

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010

A good winger is rumoured to go to Pittsburgh, we're now in Stage 6 of speculation: where the Flyers are going to take him away from us.

Stage 7 is acceptance that experience cures all.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
C'mon man ... it's Philly. Would it surprise you if they jumped in just to drive the price up?

Whether they would or not is pretty irrelevant. No use getting worked up over something when there's no basis to support it.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Also I'm so ready to be disappointed when we don't get Kessel and Frolik goes off somewhere for $6M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad