We are going to be contenders and not pretenders!

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
If you can only replace one player out of Pavelec, Stuart, Thorburn and Peluso. Which one would have the biggest impact on wins and losses?

Pavelec for sure - goalie is such a key position for wins/losses. Then Stuart I guess, however usage of Thorburn (top 9) has been almost as bad & when he is stuck with key skill guys like Ehlers for I imagine it was a third of the season, that has such a huge impact of team productivity as well.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I truly hope so.
Seeing some improvement in the youngins play of late so perhaps some cautious optimism is in order !!!
GJG

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I truly hope so.
Seeing some improvement in the youngins play of late so perhaps some cautious optimism is in order !!!
GJG

Some of the younger guys have been playing better but none are putting up any points, it's also a little easier to play when there is no pressure to win games.

We need a rebound year next season from Lowry, no sophomore slump from Ehlers, Connor to come in a take a regular spot and a NHL ready pick to come in and play.

Pavs needs to be gone, Helly needs to be the starter and Hutch or someone else a little more consistent needs to back him up or platoon with him.

I'd give Maurice until Dec. to see if he can get the team back on track and new assistant coaches are a must!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you can only replace one player out of Pavelec, Stuart, Thorburn and Peluso. Which one would have the biggest impact on wins and losses?

No fair including Pavelec in your question. He is in a special category all his own. There can be no other answer but Pav.

Among skaters? Easy. Stu is responsible for almost as many GA as Pav is.

If my deal with the devil carried the provision that I have to actually play both Thor and Peluso on the 4th line together at the same time every game for 2 years to get rid of Stu now I take the deal. As long as I don't ever have to play them above the 4th line or more than 6 min/gm that is. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Having Connor and adding a top five this year is going to bode well for us in a few years.

If that pick is Matthews that would put us in a very good spot long term and possibly back in the playoffs next year.

Even if we walk away with Chychrun or Dubois, that will help us a lot down the road. Both those guys could probably play one more year of junior.

It's taking more time than I would like. But sooner or later, our few really good vets and our better than most young players will do some damage to the league.

Good post Flair. I think everybody is disappointed with the pace, especially after last year. It wasn't just that we made the playoffs. That was a really good team we had and a really good season to be a Jets fan. So this year has been a serious letdown but the future has never looked brighter. And it is close.

White Out 403*

Good post Flair. I think everybody is disappointed with the pace, especially after last year. It wasn't just that we made the playoffs. That was a really good team we had and a really good season to be a Jets fan. So this year has been a serious letdown but the future has never looked brighter. And it is close.

One of the most frustrating things about this season has been the absolutely infuriating lie/fallacy that success this year and properly developing and grooming our youth were mutually exclusive. If I have to read one more time or hear on the radio this bullcrap about we couldn't have Lee Stempniak or Frolik for 4x4 because chevy wanted a youth movement I'll pull my hair out. We have so much chaff on this roster there's plenty of room. Le sigh.

edit: has nothing to do with you specifically mort, just, a general thought brought about by your mentioning of pace and timing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
One of the most frustrating things about this season has been the absolutely infuriating lie/fallacy that success this year and properly developing and grooming our youth were mutually exclusive. If I have to read one more time or hear on the radio this bullcrap about we couldn't have Lee Stempniak or Frolik for 4x4 because chevy wanted a youth movement I'll pull my hair out. We have so much chaff on this roster there's plenty of room. Le sigh.

edit: has nothing to do with you specifically mort, just, a general thought brought about by your mentioning of pace and timing.

Yup. Agree with that. We could have had Copp and Ehlers as well as Frolik and Stemp. No doubt. Would only have been enough to hurt the tank though as it turned out. We probably still would have lead the league in penalties, or close. Our STs might have been a bit better. Our goaltending would still have sucked. So we end up in 9-12 lottery position.

Water under the bridge now though. In the end we will get a higher pick this year, 7th or better and more of the kids will get at least a little NHL time.

This has been a season from heck. Listless play, bad penalties, worse reffing, bad STs, more bad goaltending and now flu and injuries. But several kids have been bright spots. Our roster is falling into place to be much better next year. In spite of a lot of inexperience I think we will have the best lineup next year since Jets 1.0 left town. The crap may have accelerated the rebuild by a year, more or less, so will be a good thing in the long haul.

This year has given me some appreciation of what Edmonton and Toronto fans have gone through. Amazing that they have been able to stick with their teams so long without cracking up. Now that I think of it maybe they have cracked, some anyway. :laugh:

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Some of the younger guys have been playing better but none are putting up any points, it's also a little easier to play when there is no pressure to win games.

We need a rebound year next season from Lowry, no sophomore slump from Ehlers, Connor to come in a take a regular spot and a NHL ready pick to come in and play.

Pavs needs to be gone, Helly needs to be the starter and Hutch or someone else a little more consistent needs to back him up or platoon with him.

I'd give Maurice until Dec. to see if he can get the team back on track and new assistant coaches are a must!

Agree with ALL of this but,,,What about Bambi?!

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I see posts here from folks I generally agree with, and folks I generally don't. But what is interesting is that there is much more consensus here between the two "sides" than usual.

Despite all our disagreements, it seems we at least agree on the general optimism for our young players, and criticism of a few vets who absolutely need to go in favor of the more promising youth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad