We are BIG!

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
We have a big team and we have a number of guys who are willing to play big. We should be one of the most physical teams to deal with regularly if we're allowed to play that way, if you catch my drift.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We are also really slow.

Karlsson, Ceci, Methot, Turris, Michalek, Lazar, Greening, Zibanejad, MacArthur, Legwand, Hoffman, Condra, Smith... are not what I call slow. Chiasson, Ryan, Cowen and Borowiecki are average skaters.

Really, the only clear below average skaters we have are Stone, Gryba and Neil (declined). Phillips declined too but he still can skate fine. Wiercioch is a tad slow too. Sometimes we have young players caught not moving their feet though.

SenatorArmy*

When you're this big they call you Mr.

no more pesky Sens. We're now The Mr. Sens. beating us is a real tall order,

we're so Big if they made a movie about the Sens it would star Tom Hanks.

we're so big we had to put cushioning on the bottom of the scoreboard

here is the team jet
0918207.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I think the average size of the team doubled when we traded Conacher, sent down Pageau and let Da Costa go.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
Average age we are 5th youngest at 26.8 yrs ... By comparison Toronto is 24th youngest at 27 years... amazing what difference in rankings those .2 years can make

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Average age we are 5th youngest at 26.8 yrs ... By comparison Toronto is 24th youngest at 27 years... amazing what difference in rankings those .2 years can make

I looked into this. According to this random internet website (which I, perhaps sadly or misguidedly, actually trust a tad more than this guy's copy-pasted list of numbers), Ottawa appears to be 6th youngest at 26.573 yrs old, whereas Toronto is 9th youngest at 26.8.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Karlsson, Ceci, Methot, Turris, Michalek, Lazar, Greening, Zibanejad, MacArthur, Legwand, Hoffman, Condra, Smith... are not what I call slow. Chiasson, Ryan, Cowen and Borowiecki are average skaters.

Really, the only clear below average skaters we have are Stone, Gryba and Neil (declined). Phillips declined too but he still can skate fine. Wiercioch is a tad slow too. Sometimes we have young players caught not moving their feet though.

All the guys you listed are not fast by any means except the bolded. Greening and Michalek may be fast in a straight race but I don't see that separation in games like we saw Hoffman in the preseason. Overall I think we are average in terms of team speed. While our D is below average. I like that the team is big, but I'd like us to get faster. That means getting rid of some average skaters, for some fast ones. This will help us defensively.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
All the guys you listed are not fast by any means except the bolded. Greening and Michalek may be fast in a straight race but I don't see that separation in games like we saw Hoffman in the preseason. Overall I think we are average in terms of team speed. While our D is below average. I like that the team is big, but I'd like us to get faster. That means getting rid of some average skaters, for some fast ones. This will help us defensively.

Turris, Zibanejad, Hoffman, Karlsson, MacArthur, Ceci and Lazar are all fast to very fast skaters though. Speed is nice, but you aren't going to find many teams that are only comprised of skaters of this caliber.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

This might be getting into semantics, but he was reponding to someone saying the team was slow.

The guys you bolded are among the NHL elite in terms of speed. Guys like Turris, MacArthur and Legwand, are certainly above average.

tbh, the slower skaters are Gryba, Phillips, Cowen (looks like he might be out of this group this year), Stone and Wiercioch (Heathy scratch), though none are Douglas Murray slow.

It will be interesting to see what happens this year, as I find team speed has less to do with players being in the right positions and supporting each other than actual players speed. LA isn't filled with speedsters, but they move the puck quickly hitting guys in stride because they are always in position to support each other.

tldr; size isn't making our team slow, personally, I think speed is one of the teams strengths on a player by player basis, though not so much on the backend outside of Karlsson.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I'm looking forward to seeing us use our size to take an incomprehensible number of penalties again this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad